HotRockets! Particle FX Replacement + Tutorial

Nazari1382

He's already using it. Try the newest version of HotRockets.

What I came here for:

I have a question. What should I change in the ModuleManager .cfg file to make the rocket smoke collide correctly? Currently, the smoke just stops at the pad and is thrown back upwards, at a slight angle. What should I change (apart from collide = false to collide = true) to make the smoke be shot out of the exhaust vents of the pad?

wasmic:

If you open the MP_Nazari.cfg file, it explains all the config options you can add to your engines. These are the options you're looking for (although it'll only work if you download the latest version of HotRockets with the smokescreen plugin):

collide = [B]True[/B] // Collision active or not
collideRatio = [B]0[/B] // how the particles react on collision. 1 is a mirror bounce, 0 is go parallel to the hit surface

Add them to the .cfg of the engines you want to change.

Ummmmm, my poodle engine's flame is invisible...?

Here is the entry for itin the .cfg, is it something there?

@PART[liquidEngine2-2] //Rockomax Poodle
{
!fx_exhaustFlame_blue
!fx_exhaustLight_blue
!fx_smokeTrail_light
!fx_exhaustSparks_flameout
!sound_vent_medium
!sound_rocket_hard
!sound_vent_soft
!sound_explosion_low
EFFECTS
{
powerflame
{
MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE_PERSIST
{
name = flamethrust
modelName = MP_Nazari/FX/flamelowlarge
transformName = thrustTransform
emission = 0.0 0.0
emission = 0.05 0.99
emission = 0.75 1.21
emission = 1.0 1.25
speed = 0.0 1.70
speed = 1.0 1.65
energy = 0.0 0.33 // Same for energy
energy = 1.0 0.99 // Same for energy
}
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_rocket_hard
volume = 0.0 0.0
volume = 1.0 1.0
pitch = 0.0 0.2
pitch = 1.0 1.0
loop = true
}
}
powersmoke
{

}
engage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_vent_medium
volume = 1.0
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
disengage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_vent_soft
volume = 1.0
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
flameout
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_explosion_low
volume = 1.0
pitch = 2.0
loop = false
}
}
}
@MODULE[ModuleEngines]
{
@name = ModuleEnginesFX
//engineID = rocketengine
runningEffectName = powersmoke
directThrottleEffectName = powerflame
!fxOffset

}
}

Nazari, any ETA on when are your configs going to be updated to work with the latest releases of SmokeFX, there have been quite many changes to the plugin.

I, for one, am considering removing Hotrockets until it is fixed. Dotted smoke and engine flame trail conforming to velocity trajectory, instead of to engine emission are defeating the point of having an FX mod which doesn't actually work well.

Ummmmm, my poodle engine's flame is invisible...?

Here is the entry for itin the .cfg, is it something there?

*snip*

The engine effect is just less visible as that engine is primarily a vacuum use engine and engine effects are VERY different in a vacuum and almost invisible, hence why it's hard to see :) personally i love it

However if you already know this and even that is not appearing i have no clue lol :D

wondeer if hotrockets messing with it

Hotrockets only changes the engine module of a part to ModuleEnginesFX, it should have no effect on fairings.

I've uploaded a new version with fixes for the visual bugs caused by updating Smokescreen. The newest smokescreen.dll is included, and I've added experimental launch smoke to the stock large SRB. I didn't go overboard with it though.

il see if it might have just been the decoupler i used. the kw engine fairing setting is way near bottom of the.cfg so its possible when it adds the hotrockets setting its knocking it off an just not reading it but ill look again when i boot up game next

Any chance of getting the fx to change based on altitude? Kind of like how smoke is, but it will change the look of what i call the "thrust cloud". This will change inefficient red/smoky to efficient blue, and hotter?

Any chance of getting the fx to change based on altitude? Kind of like how smoke is, but it will change the look of what i call the "thrust cloud". This will change inefficient red/smoky to efficient blue, and hotter?

Go to the SmokeScreen topic for that discussion, it's a plugin matter.

Nazari, Is there a way or an update that does not use the smokescreen plug-in? I REALLY REALLY LOVE the engine effects but the smokescreen plugin is slowing my main pc way down and makes my 2nd pc slow down to slideshow speeds. I've looked into the config file of the squad stuff's but I can not make heads or tails out of it to see where it makes calls to the plugin for smoke effects. so I am unable to change anything.

Edited by Damaske

You can use this config to overwrite the squad engines config you have to remove smoke.

http://www./download/98n8nmr68nw41pp/squad_hotrockets_nosmoke.zip

You will still need smokescreen installed for this version. In general I won't be supporting a version without smokescreen because the features it adds are so important, and any issues that are caused by it have a much higher chance of being resolved quickly than issues with the stock modules only (which atm are huge issues)

Will there ever be Hotrockets support for RLAand KSPX Stockalike engines?

You can take a look at the ModuleManager files, reverse-engineer some stuff, and try for yourself. Alternatively, you can wait until someone makes a ModuleManager .cfg for those mods.

Did the last update/will the next one fix the smoke seperating with speed? like the guy a few pages back's illustration:

^

||

|| = rocket

||

T

| - engine fire

|

0 - smoke

When i get to 400 m/s + the smoke gets pretty far apart, and if i get some serious speed it can get somewhere around a 100 meters apart. if i cluster some srbs, it looks like theres a lot of pillows following my launch up. will post screenshots when i get home if its needed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.