Furthest You've Ever Driven?

Lar-E

it would be nice if ground-travelling has some scientific value

maybe a ground penetrating radar, that needs to be moved while being directly on the surface, somehow similar to the magnetometer of the KSP interstellar mod.

I had a 52km drive on duna once because I landed a rover with the large lander can too far away from the base. the kerbonaut on board had to leave the rover in order to repair the damaged wheels (too high speed at touchdown).

it would be nice if ground-travelling has some scientific value

That would be nice, but I think what it really needs is same of the depth of rocket and plane building and operation.

I don't know whether that's actually possible or not, but rovers are boring. You build a wide base with enough power to run indefinitely, and then you hold the forward key.

Edited by maccollo

I think I have done a 50 km round trip on the Mun. I drove from my landing site to a Mun arch, which also had a rover with broken wheels next to it. I visited the arch, fixed the wheels and came back. There was some very steep climbs during the drive, it made it very... interesting. From what I can remember, it was about 25 km to the arch and 25 km back. So 50 km in total.

I circumnavigated the Mun with the old BigTrak cart-based Rover, and drove to all three Dunar Easter Eggs in the DEMV-4 RAT. On stock wheels, my longest drive was probably about 60 km on Duna before I got bored and sent a lander to pick up the passengers.

Well on Duna. Had two 120 km trips. One where the rover over shot the landing point to reach the stranded Kerbals that had no fuel left. Then had to travel to the ship that had fuel do to well missing the landing area again. But, my longest drives that where safe where recently on Kerbin in a Basic Jet powered rover. Where I was happily crusing around 35-50 m/s most of the time. Made it from KSC to about 3/5 to around 4/5 the way to the north pole.

1. Get the late Mechjeb

2. Land rover somewhere

3. Set speed to something safe (like 5 m/s)

4. Go to map mode open "Rover Autopilot", open "waypoints", set up where you want the rover to go across the face of the planet its on

5. Hit "follow"

6. Leave, go to work, etc, etc

7. Come home and rover is where you told it to go.

1. Get the late Mechjeb

2. Land rover somewhere

3. Set speed to something safe (like 5 m/s)

4. Go to map mode open "Rover Autopilot", open "waypoints", set up where you want the rover to go across the face of the planet its on

5. Hit "follow"

6. Leave, go to work, etc, etc

7. Come home and rover is where you told it to go.

That would be Furthest your mechjeb has driven.

About 80km on the Mun testing my interplanetary rover design.

A small SAS unit attached low is useful for righting the vehicle in case of unplanned airborne events, and is a much more efficient solution than extra wheels or rcs systems.

Buzzed

Edited by Buzzed Aldrin

I think about 12km when driving my 3rd (and what turned out to be final) piece of my modular base. Landed way off target and had to traverse a really narrow gap between two huge craters. A few quicksaves were needed, but I got there in the end :D

7aecc4d02f0b64d2c681c201a4bb1641.png

Somewhere around 15 kilometers. I was setting up a modular base on the mun and I hadn't figured out how to do precision landings yet. So the second module landed quite a bit off of the target. On the 3d I figured out how to do it though. And promptly destroyed the solar panels on the first module with my landing legs...

I literally just found out from this thread that you can fix rover wheels. D'oh! So many abandoned rovers.

My longest drive in one stretch was about 30km (and back) across the northern ice cap of Kerbin thanks to a rocket malfunction while I was building a base. I had an MJ unit on that one so I locked target and sat back... And MJ crashed into said target and destroyed the rover so I had to reload a save and manually take over about 2km out. If that rover had an odometer though it'd probably range around 150km and soon to be more.

I made it about 20km on the Mun with an old rocket powered rover before I hit a small ridge too fast and it just disintegrated and scattered the parts over another couple km.

Not a full circumnavigation, but I hit all 15 biomes in a single mission with a hybrid lander/rover. Hit most biomes by driving, but did a few suborbital hops when I had a long way to go or a nasty obstacle to bypass. All told, probably 200-300 km or so of driving.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.