Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Still in heavy development stage:

Animated propeller/ Wanna-be siren/Sturdy cockpit but still needs some tweaking here and there

http://i.imgur.com/XjWraHs.png

http://i.imgur.com/6fyAwh4.png

http://i.imgur.com/WE2I9OX.png

http://i.imgur.com/NVllKSe.png

And somehow survives crashes head on?

http://i.imgur.com/IXxvVTi.png

How does the siren work?

Ok the trial run was a disaster...

Rover: Failed to land and kerbal killed

Lander: Failed to land and kerbal killed

Base: didn't realise the mothership had stolen its fuel and so failed to land and base lost.

Mothership: I launched too early and flew very badly. Used 3 times the dV I should have getting to Duna and so can't get back.

At least the mapping probe worked...

The kerbal engineer suicide burn readout is evidently wrong. Was giving myself plenty of leeway and still hitting the surface at 250m/s...

Conclusion: This is why I build and don't fly...

Base: didn't realise the mothership had stolen its fuel and so failed to land and base lost.

Mothership: I launched too early and flew very badly. Used 3 times the dV I should have getting to Duna and so can't get back.

The kerbal engineer suicide burn readout is evidently wrong. Was giving myself plenty of leeway and still hitting the surface at 250m/s...

Shame. At least you weren't getting losses due to hell krakens, like I do every time I land on Duna now.

The trouble with landing using KER is that the display matches the land below you, not the land where you are going to touchdown which can vary by many thousands of meters in height, unless you come straight down. On Duna I use chutes as well as thrusters, I pop the chutes at around 700ms, just a few will usually slow me to below 100ms which gives me plenty of leeway to adjust my speed down to below 12ms for touchdown using the thrusters.

I agree that finding a suitable landing zone is tricky! The landing itself, after all those hairy Mun landings its joyous to have that aero buffer.

I use rover for that, then target it with Mechjeb for landing.

The trouble with landing using KER is that the display matches the land below you, not the land where you are going to touchdown which can vary by many thousands of meters in height, unless you come straight down. On Duna I use chutes as well as thrusters, I pop the chutes at around 700ms, just a few will usually slow me to below 100ms which gives me plenty of leeway to adjust my speed down to below 12ms for touchdown using the thrusters.

Ah that explains it. Must have been approaching an uphill slope each time. Might be super cautious and start burning a KM up next time.

Space Shuttle is doing a bit better, made it to space, still needs RCS support, and can't roll program well, and can't make orbit. Might add SAS to the Shuttle.https://i.imgur.com/SAeux2F.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/i2JyOlx.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/hoHlcUj.png

Do you mind me asking for your fairing texture script, I have the mod, just have not made the part entry yet.

If you never use quick load/save, you never learn to fly. Every pilot has had time in the simulator, crashing lots of times before becoming a pro. Before Apollo landed on the moon, be sure astronauts had to practice every detail in a simulator, hundreds of times.

So you feel disappointed, but for the wrong reason.

Only in movies do they get something critical right the first time.

Edited by Azimech

If you never use quick load/save, you never learn to fly. Every pilot has had time in the simulator, crashing lots of times before becoming a pro. Before Apollo landed on the moon, be sure astronauts had to practice every detail in a simulator, hundreds of times.

So you feel disappointed, but for the wrong reason.

Only in movies do they get something critical right the first time.

I've never used them as it feels cheap never having any risk of mistakes. I like the planning involved and tension you get with only one shot at getting it right.

Also what is the minimum dV needed to get back from Duna orbit to Kerbin? I'm hoping the last two kerbals can be saved.

I think one guy got a Kerbal X to Duna and back, so you probably don't need too much if you use gravity assists.

I swear that's not possible. I struggle to get it to orbit!

I have 1400m/s dV left. In theory I think that's enough with aerocapture. Though I take 3 or 4 times as much as expected as I'm an awful pilot.

I swear that's not possible. I struggle to get it to orbit!

I have 1400m/s dV left. In theory I think that's enough with aerocapture. Though I take 3 or 4 times as much as expected as I'm an awful pilot.

1400 is plenty for a Kerbin return, just take advantage of the Oberth effect.

Damn that's harsh. I truly thought it was the kraken that was going to doom it. Then again, if you are going to land on Duna only by trying it once after launching a whole mission there... it'll take many, many missions. I am perfectly fine to admit in R-SUV we rely heavily on "simulations". And the F5 before turning on physics timewarp is kind of standard procedure by now... Oh, and dV is extremely dependant on the time of departure, but only within days, it is much more dependant in nailing a good ejection angle, to within degrees. Plan you transfer properly with an online tool, or place a maneuver node of the required dV and curse the UI a lot as you move it around to check "by trial and error" where it should go.

Rune. Then again, to each their own. When you manage it, you sure are going to feel nice about it...

Edited by Rune

Damn that's harsh. I truly thought it was the kraken that was going to doom it. Then again, if you are going to land on Duna only by trying it once after launching a whole mission there... it'll take many, many missions. I am perfectly fine to admit in R-SUV we rely heavily on "simulations". And the F5 before turning on physics timewarp is kind of standard procedure by now... Oh, and dV is extremely dependant on the time of departure, but only within days, it is much more dependant in nailing a good ejection angle, to within degrees. Plan you transfer properly with an online tool, or place a maneuver node of the required dV and curse the UI a lot as you move it around to check "by trial and error" where it should go.

Rune. Then again, to each their own. When you manage it, you sure are going to feel nice about it...

Confident my next mission will go well. Will rely on eyeballing the landings and not engineer, will time the mission better, and will not let the mothership eat the base's fuel. :)

Confident my next mission will go well. Will rely on eyeballing the landings and not engineer, will time the mission better, and will not let the mothership eat the base's fuel. :)

Make sure to add some radial drogue chutes if you have room; they help tremendously with getting comfy Duna landings.

You did that with eyeballing? Wow.

It was pure luck. Did my standard deoribit burn to put me within 100km of the KSC. Was coming down right on the runway so diverted sideways and got that.

- - - Updated - - -

It's certainly possible with enough fuel, just make sure you end up somewhere close to the space center, then start maneuvering precisely.

Frozen_Heart, also take a look at this

http://imgur.com/a/cNG8P#9xU6rOO

Whoever did that must be some kind of maths genius!!!

It's certainly possible with enough fuel, just make sure you end up somewhere close to the space center, then start maneuvering precisely.

Yeah... amazed though I am (that guy works at JPL or something, right?), I think I'll stick to my ample margins and "don't count on gravity assists" policy

Rune. Still, wow.

Yeah, that's PLAD, he has been helping me with The Dunatian, he is amazing at planning transfers and gravity assists.

Edit: He makes the WinFlyBy Finder for stock and RSS

Edited by selfish_meme