Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I can't wait to see this in action! It's just too good.

Thanks dude, I'll try but I really want it to have a nice polish and not too many parts at release, so can't say for sure.

Thanks dude, I'll try but I really want it to have a nice polish and not too many parts at release, so can't say for sure.

Dont worry about part count man. That just means its got some nice detail. We wanna see those legs in action!

I have incorporated a version of Sgt_flyer's mini hinge into my new constellation landers. Its genius!

Dont worry about part count man. That just means its got some nice detail. We wanna see those legs in action!

I have incorporated a version of Sgt_flyer's mini hinge into my new constellation landers. Its genius!

Yep, It's just that the lag seem to inflate exponentially past the 500 parts mark for my computer, wonder if that's engine based cos of unity x86 or something.., so I will probably not add the side boosters and call it a Falcon 9, also due to alt+click breaking all my beautiful struts DAMMIT!

I made a new landing leg model that uses 2 docking ports per leg, testing shows that charge tolerance is increased along with impact distribution at landing.

w2QdgJM.jpg

You know I think we're all 3 really good and basically leading the stock KSP hinge innovation ^^'

Your rover hinge was great! Mine, the circle solar panel hinge is original and functional (did you see the KerbAprilia Pi I made with it?). Sgt_flyer's is really cool too, and has such a low part count that it makes it practically usable and reveals to us an unseen level of detail in part's mesh usage and a wide range of various variants for it .. :D

Oh and here's a little something I'm working on trying to combine the techniques :P

g7iJiZ3.jpg

Edited by RevanCorana

Yep, It's just that the lag seem to inflate exponentially past the 500 parts mark for my computer, wonder if that's engine based cos of unity x86 or something.., so I will probably not add the side boosters and call it a Falcon 9, also due to alt+click breaking all my beautiful struts DAMMIT!

I made a new landing leg model that uses 2 docking ports per leg, testing shows that charge tolerance is increased along with impact distribution at landing.

http://i.imgur.com/w2QdgJM.jpg

You know I think we're all 3 really good and basically leading the stock KSP hinge innovation ^^'

Your rover hinge was great! Mine, the circle solar panel hinge is original and functional (did you see the KerbAprilia Pi I made with it?). Sgt_flyer's is really cool too, and has such a low part count that it makes it practically usable and reveals to us an unseen level of detail in part's mesh usage and a wide range of various variants for it .. :D

Oh and here's a little something I'm working on trying to combine the techniques :P

http://i.imgur.com/g7iJiZ3.jpg

Great idea using two docking ports man, I imagine it will be much more stable that way. Was your KerbAprilia Pi a bike? Post a picture so to refreshafy my memory.

Sgt_flyers hinge is really great, I didn't even think about using the parts he did. It was tricky to replicate so yeah I imagine only a few will try it.

Keep us posted on your SpaceX mate. We are dying to see it! :D

it takes a bit of practice, but after some trys, you start to eyeball it :) - afterwards, it's simply physics :) (geometry, counterweights if needed, etc :P)

as for designing the hinge itself, it was when i made tests with those grid fins :) tried to create a hinge small enough to fit along the sides of a fairing :).

when i remembered revancorana's RTG + multi oxstats based hinge, it told me that the oxstats physical mesh was active despite it's physicsless flag - so i tried to find a part small enough - which was the LV1-R (the thinnest possible surface attachable part ! onto which you can attach other things) :P - the cubic strut is less long, but fatter and more square ^^)

the rest is just thinking with geometry, with the LV1-R as the center of rotation :) - and an extensive use of the offset + rotation tool :P (remember to read my post on the open source thread - the technique can work with quite a lot of things, not only node connections :) (works even for creating gaps between launch clamps and the rocket, when you want to 'hide' clamps for your own custom mock up launch pad) http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43086-Open-Source-Construction-Techniques-for-Craft-Aesthetics?p=1709894&viewfull=1#post1709894)

Edited by sgt_flyer

it takes a bit of practice, but after some trys, you start to eyeball it :) - afterwards, it's simply physics :) (geometry, counterweights if needed, etc :P)

Yeah at first I looked at the examples you sent me and I couldn't get it to work.. I couldn't just copy exactly what you showed me as it wasn't compatible with the look of my lander. After much brain ache I used a cubic strut and a solar panel as the hinge triangle that holds the ant engine bell. That way I can have a single structural panel as the swing arm. Its nice and compact and very smooth. And only 7 parts total!

Thank you again for this! Best hinge Ive ever seen.

Edited by Majorjim

So, in an attempt to *gasp* start moving my craft-building repertoire more towards high-tech exploratory craft, I've tried my hand at making a two-stage lifter with an advanced crew pod (which holds 4).

vTYRcqM.png

xn7t0VN.png

I'm still ironing out the kinks, but it'll hopefully serve me well as a station-taxi, and maybe as a potential return ship for interplanetary missions.

The upper stage w/ the "Icarus" NCV (next-gen crew vehicle):

pFzf24r.png

Hopefully I can evolve this into a full series of craft, but who knows? :P

Great idea using two docking ports man, I imagine it will be much more stable that way. Was your KerbAprilia Pi a bike? Post a picture so to refreshafy my memory.

Sgt_flyers hinge is really great, I didn't even think about using the parts he did. It was tricky to replicate so yeah I imagine only a few will try it.

Keep us posted on your SpaceX mate. We are dying to see it! :D

Yea, it's this one:

e7KWRUB.jpg

http://www./download/jyb6m5d5nfoauss/◄_KerbAprilia_À.craft

Glitchy as hell but still drivable :D

And here's just a little teaser of the final version (the whole rocket under 400 parts) ;) ;

BlJjUdE.jpg

as for designing the hinge itself, it was when i made tests with those grid fins :) tried to create a hinge small enough to fit along the sides of a fairing :).

when i remembered revancorana's RTG + multi oxstats based hinge, it told me that the oxstats physical mesh was active despite it's physicsless flag - so i tried to find a part small enough - which was the LV1-R (the thinnest possible surface attachable part ! onto which you can attach other things) :P - the cubic strut is less long, but fatter and more square ^^)

the rest is just thinking with geometry, with the LV1-R as the center of rotation :) - and an extensive use of the offset + rotation tool :P (remember to read my post on the open source thread - the technique can work with quite a lot of things, not only node connections :) (works even for creating gaps between launch clamps and the rocket, when you want to 'hide' clamps for your own custom mock up launch pad) http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43086-Open-Source-Construction-Techniques-for-Craft-Aesthetics?p=1709894&viewfull=1#post1709894)

I tried to link both LV1R with 2 struts, turns out its stiffens the mechanism quite a bit (struts connector have no collision mesh I believe but it cancels the LV1R compressibility) :)

Edited by RevanCorana

Yea, it's this one:

http://i.imgur.com/e7KWRUB.jpg

http://www./download/jyb6m5d5nfoauss/◄_KerbAprilia_À.craft

Glitchy as hell but still drivable :D

And here's just a little teaser of the final version (the whole rocket under 400 parts) ;) ;

http://i.imgur.com/BlJjUdE.jpg

I tried to link both LV1R with 2 struts, turns out its stiffens the mechanism quite a bit (struts connector have no collision mesh I believe but it cancels the LV1R compressibility) :)

Ah, yes yes I saw it. Awesome contraption and a truly original bearing design! I should try it out.

I will keep experimenting with the ant engine hinges and see what I can come up with. Keep up the great work guys!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.