Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Can not wait :D "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SHiftER2O again."

and about the plane, i had not seen an SSTO that can carry 2 orange tanks to orbit and i wanted to see what one looks like :P

its uploaded btw finished it a while ago

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/121087-Cronus-Titan-hauler-SSTO-80-tons-to-LKO

http://i.imgur.com/TF9gx7o.jpg

HAHA Well thanks in advanced :D You know, now that you've mentioned it, I haven't as well xD And now I have! :D

Holy lagballs Shift, I didn't know you were this good at building.

And just little things I've been working on in my spare time (imported form 0.90)

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah315/Yukon0009/screenshot301_zpss3kkkzqi.png

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah315/Yukon0009/screenshot626_zps52ou5a6p.png

AHAHA Yeaah well, thanks :D I feel complimented xD Hope you get your time back, for Moho Aeroworks :D Best of luck with your life, dude!

I think it's Vulkan. Because you know, Cyrillic and all that. So the guy actually had kind of a point, which I suspect he didn't know himself.

Rune. But we have all learned better now!

Yeah. The Vulkan's the Soviet project, and the Vulcan is a new ULA lifter project.

So... 19,000m/s of delta v, i think i found the sweet spot. it should take off on eve.

Ill admit i have not flown it yet, im afraid to launch it and see if it works.

http://i.imgur.com/5LN6zAO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ASpWJiG.jpg

Duuude chillax xD "must spread some reputation before giving it to Rolfcopterkklol" -__-

- - - Updated - - -

Working on a version of the Co-102 for the Naval battle club. Jet fuel tanks have much better impact tolerance so using them instead. Fuel flow is giving me hell though. :/

http://i.imgur.com/GuOCUXP.png

http://i.imgur.com/Gjb110X.png

Woah dude, Approve of that! :D

Something i'm working on among my projects :)

currently has two clipped jet engines at the rear - note though, i needed to hide some intakes inside the wings for this engine to work :P (any air intake placed 'inside' the engine's fairing will not work because occluded)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

still some tweaks to do on it :P (it might even benefit from a rotating turbofan at the front :P)

meant to be proposed as a subassembly for all plane builders, so they can have an intermediate good looking turbofan subassembly :) current version with a 'static' fan is only 19 parts !

Something i'm working on among my projects :)

currently has two clipped jet engines at the rear - note though, i needed to hide some intakes inside the wings for this engine to work :P (any air intake placed 'inside' the engine's fairing will not work because occluded)

http://imgur.com/a/7eYJv

still some tweaks to do on it :P (it might even benefit from a rotating turbofan at the front :P)

meant to be proposed as a subassembly for all plane builders, so they can have an intermediate good looking turbofan subassembly :) current version with a 'static' fan is only 19 parts !

Dude..... You just opened my aviation eyes :o

- - - Updated - - -

Need suggestions on improving this B-36 Cockpit :D anyone with other techniques?

The Convair B-36 Peacemaker!

th0C9vW.jpg

I7L5Gcc.jpg

Although supposedly a bomber, and very huge, this one I managed to pull out my --- is a little cuter, adopted to a tanker, and flies rather majestically. Don't like the tail though, and the cockpit is giving me lots of doubts. Oh well, more experimenting :D

update on the KE (Kerbal Electric) :P KF-6 high bypass turbofan engine :) (and yes, the main fan can spin :))

this version has 35 parts for the engine itself - and 15 for the engine mount (including 5 structural intakes, here to feed air to the engines, as i can't hide any intakes inside the engine's fairings - they would not work :P).

the engine and the mount are separate, and connect with cubic struts - so you can place the engine mount with 2x symmetry on your wings) - basically, how it would be built : attach the engine mount to the wings with symmetry, and adjust them as needed. once done, pick the engine subassembly, and attach them 1 by 1 to each engine mount.

how the 'rotating' fan works : there's a bunch of reaction wheels and a probe core hidden inside the engine - when you decouple them, you can switch to the engine and trim the roll to make it turn :) (same concept as the old torque engines :P) - then, you're free to switch back to the engine and start the jet engines :) (two basic jet engines clipped - so a bit more than 200 thrust at sea level :))

'exploded' view of the engine (thanks fairings ^^) :)

JCKYMrwl.jpg

clic the following image to see the animated .gif of the engine running :)

PsQuFa4l.gif

i still need to tweak this, maybe try to trim down on parts :)

anyone willing to help me on the engine is free to PM me, so i can explain more in details :P

update on the KE (Kerbal Electric) :P KF-6 high bypass turbofan engine :) (and yes, the main fan can spin :))

this version has 35 parts for the engine itself - and 15 for the engine mount (including 5 structural intakes, here to feed air to the engines, as i can't hide any intakes inside the engine's fairings - they would not work :P).

the engine and the mount are separate, and connect with cubic struts - so you can place the engine mount with 2x symmetry on your wings) - basically, how it would be built : attach the engine mount to the wings with symmetry, and adjust them as needed. once done, pick the engine subassembly, and attach them 1 by 1 to each engine mount.

how the 'rotating' fan works : there's a bunch of reaction wheels and a probe core hidden inside the engine - when you decouple them, you can switch to the engine and trim the roll to make it turn :) (same concept as the old torque engines :P) - then, you're free to switch back to the engine and start the jet engines :) (two basic jet engines clipped - so a bit more than 200 thrust at sea level :))

'exploded' view of the engine (thanks fairings ^^) :)

http://i.imgur.com/JCKYMrwl.jpg

clic the following image to see the animated .gif of the engine running :)

http://i.imgur.com/PsQuFa4l.gif

i still need to tweak this, maybe try to trim down on parts :)

anyone willing to help me on the engine is free to PM me, so i can explain more in details :P

That's amazing! Looks like a real one!

Just one question - is it stable in the flight?

The recent return of Macey Dean has inspired me to restart my carrier program.

So far, this is what I've come up with:

qh7DWlQh.png

wTF2S4Zh.png

3n4EllCh.png

ztqZYByh.png

As you can see, the bulk of her length consists of two large cargo bays. I wanted to keep part count low, and using these large cargo bays seemed like a good idea. Also, all the mk-2 and 3 parts have a crash tolerance of 50m/s, which is great for warships.

The "bridge" of the ship is a 2-person lander can inside a service bay. This practically doubles its impact tolerance, but it is still the most vulnerable part of the ship. I think it's neat that it can lock up in case of emergency.

Mp0RJA4h.png

Inside the mk-2 cargo bays we have the ships reaction wheels, xenon tanks, fuel cells, and primary defense system. The Xenon is so that the carrier can resupply its fighters, which will be using ions, the carrier itself doesn't have ion engines. The fuel cells are there so that the craft is able to operate out by Jool. The defense pods use two linear RCS thrusters and are mostly limited in terms of range by the battery on the probe cores. The nosecones have a high impact tolerance, which should allow them to maximize damage apart from looking cool.

aE1J7hlh.png

The craft only has two nuclear engines, which I worry will give it too low a TWR. Also, I have heard about overheating issues with the nukes, but I have yet to actually test it, since I have been playing career mode since 1.0 came out and haven't unlocked them yet.

I have yet to try and launch this thing yet. It weighs about 100 tons, and is probably not the most aerodynamic. If worst comes to worst, I'll just put a giant fairing around it, which will probably have a higher mass than the ship itself. On the plus side it has less than 90 parts, which is pretty good for a carrier.

These are the fighters that I have designed for it:

NR7JQ9xh.png

YINCeg8h.png

They are designed around the same loading principle as the fighters in maceys' old carrier videos, with a docking port on either end. Because of the way solar energy works now, solar panels would not be enough to run a pair of ions out by Jool, so instead I went with a big fuel cell and a backup RTG. If there are more efficient ways of powering ions, feel free to let me know.

The fighters have low part count (16), and a narrow, forward cross-section, which I consider a plus for spacefighters.

If anyone has any insights or suggestions, feel free to share.

Also, my carrier is called the Clear Air Turbulence. There's a virtual cookie for whoever know what that's a reference to.

I've been working on a mission to set up a refueling base on Minmus for a little while now, and now nearly everything is in place for the journey to Minmus:

3235168.jpg

Yes, that ship is more massive than the space station it's docked to. It weighs 236.6 tons without a payload, and can carry ~150 tons to Minmus without additional fuel tanks (though it won't have any fuel for a return journey). It will carry about 120 tons to Minmus, draining the attached orange tanks in the process. Those tanks are shuttles for carrying fuel from mining rovers on Minmus's surface (surface refining), so they will be fueled up a little before making the descent. The fuel shuttles only account for ~72 tons of the payload; the rest is the two mining vehicles, an orbital tug, and some space station components to start the orbital refueling station assembly. The mining vehicles just successfully completed trials on Kerbin to make sure they dock with the shuttles properly, and I will be sending them up soon.

This mission also will serve as a rescue mission for Val and a few of my favorite randomly generated Kerbals, who got stuck on Minmus after I realized that their spacecraft didn't have enough dV to return to Kerbin. It was supposed to land and refuel itself, but I forgot ore storage containers somehow, so no fuel... :rolleyes:

Working on little planes is fun :D

The Cessna 150 Patroller!

RF1WYt8.jpg

Because of the nature of its design, we had to improvise on how we're going to utilize the E.J.E.C.T.O.R.S. and the airbrakes sure did a great job at giving us that dynamic rooftop :D

0vvLbA3.jpg

Dun DUN Chasing the sun SUN :D :D

bRyS9DS.jpg

Really though, making little planes were so much more fun :D Part count without the E.J.E.C.T.O.R.S. and the dynamic rooftop was way below 80 parts, and part count with all of those features was only up to about 112 :D Plus, the thing is just weightless, a mere 9.9 tons :D and fun to fly! :D :D

nLmFrJy.jpg

Of course, we had a very... exciting experience with the E.J.E.C.T.O.R.S testing phase (Looks like Darwin Kerman isn't likely to make it out after his neck was outstretched..... fffffff ouch.) Turns out, we may need more redoing on trying to get the E.J.E.C.T.O.R.S out of the plane :D But it is damn fun!

vXQ7heA.jpg

So, development for this fun little Cessna 150 is still pushing through, and one thing's for sure; That dynamic rooftop is cool, but can we really wait for opening doors in the case of an emergency? Probably not. Worst cases and that dynamic door would probably be the killer instead of the crash.

BQut9gP.jpg

So back to the drawing boards, and we decided that; Hey, why not just blow the roof off? It's not like we'll need it if we REALLY need to get out of the plane, right?

D07gEf4.jpg

Err... not too much though ._.

- - - Updated - - -

zhlVaXu.jpg

The Dynamic rooftop was swapped with a direct ejection blow-off rooftop that decreased the part count by 2 (YaY!) and a minor offset positioning ensured that blowing off the roof in aerial emergencies does not include the aircraft with it :D

YK0mljm.jpg

Successful ejection!

8sYDH1u.jpg

The roofless aircraft has a decent enough clearance for the E.J.E.C.T.O.R.S, which mean that...

otGPZUF.jpg

d1ZPB3N.jpg

...err we need to review the clearance.

- - - Updated - - -

UxT58cT.jpg

We managed to recover the black box in an E.J.E.C.T.O.R.S. and found out that, the Separatrons in the ejector seats are a possible culprit for the loss of the Cessna testing crew #03

mLrys2L.jpg

Although in actuality, the Cessna 150 also features a drone control in the case that the aircraft still works, or if the pilots aren't reliable enough. We see the Cessna 150 being subjected to point-blank explosions but still, reliably flying :D

3jjzMiL.jpg

The drone-manned Cessna 150 was then used as a search-and-rescue aircraft to look for the missing crew of Cessna testing crew #3.

XgE3pAL.jpg

It did took a while, a really long while, but luckily a faint signal from the E.J.E.C.O.R.S. showed up in radar, and the Cessna 150 was landed to that point. Not faraway from them, were the limping crew of testing #3, and after a short while, the Cessna 150 got reunited with its pilots, shortly after running out of power.

9ozg4fS.jpg

Thankfully, there were no casualties, but Pilot Charlie Kerman has suffered a severe paralysis due to neck and spine breakage, and is a living limp body. Jack Kerman also suffered paralysis, and it was very questionable how he managed to drag Charlie Kerman over to the plane while having frozen arms and legs. And it could have been a relief for the two had the drone Cessna 150 not ran out of power. Luckily, KASA was well in bound of communication, and an recovery vehicle will arrive shortly to pick up the two.

I have my test bed, but thanks :) i've updated the engines and the engine mount (lower part count and better looking main fan) though the main fan still jams from time to time. (Though, as i only use 1.25m reaction wheel + probe core, the effect is negligible on planes - barely need to touch the plane's roll trim to compensate (as they all turn in the same direction) - though, the engine mounts needs a slightly larger wing than the stock wet wing to fully fit underneath.

Now, if you want to test the protype engines, i can provide them :) (they still use the 2x basic jet engine per engine :P - the basic jet engine really got hit severly by the nerf bat :P)

Edited by sgt_flyer

Are you using a Sparrowhawk E.J.E.C.O.R.S? :o

- - - Updated - - -

More Cessna testing :D

zpHKouk.jpg

Yep, something went wrong with the separators.

JKKhKzH.jpg

One of the seats got caught up, and Jack Kerman is not feeling too good about it...

XL06wEJ.jpg

It wasn't until his neck snapped that he made his peace...

SzrznSL.jpg

Miraculously, the seat was able to break free, and Jack, although paralyzed yet again, was able to land safely.

U1PEaUk.jpg

We may need to call help. Charlie, where are you?

- - - Updated - - -

XY7paOl.jpg

We decided to test in low altitudes for the best of the worst of cases. Minor adjustments and a few changes, blow off that roof! :D

1DdoZsO.jpg

The roof opening was made wider, and this time we are far more confident that Jack and Charlie could actually make it out this time.

zzibfXs.jpg

qlm7Qdo.jpg

Success! :D

EuCcWXE.jpg

pmrUYUD.jpg

Our two pilots, Jack Kerman and Charlie Kerman, subjected to paralysis and recovered multiple times, stood proud behind the sunset over the success for testing the Cessna 150's E.J.E.C.T.O.R.S. system. It was tough, and they had it rough, but they never had enough :D

Cessna 150 is in green light :D

The "bridge" of the ship is a 2-person lander can inside a service bay. This practically doubles its impact tolerance, but it is still the most vulnerable part of the ship. I think it's neat that it can lock up in case of emergency.

So stealing this idea... can the crew reliably get in and out when the doors are open?