Kerpollo 18

Chris_W

I literally studied the whole Saturn V / CSM / LM design down to the very electrical wiring design charts to make this as accurate as possible.

Even the LES Tower works and puts you (if used pre-launch) ~600m away from the rocket.

The only things I could not reproduce were the S-I B center engine cutoff and the interstage fairing rings. Not without ruining the design looks.

Even the antennas and lights are where they were in real life, according to various blueprints of the crafts after Apollo 10.

Have you tried putting the ships into retrograde orbit around the Mun like NASA did? I have made a habit of doing that since I started going to the Mun. Usually it works out to a free return trajectory back to Kerbin if I wanted, though I always go into retrograde orbit instead. I'm not sure if there is any advantage going either way, but orbiting the Mun prograde feels wrong to me at this point.

JK

Awesome missions set. I love the replica. Although, I thought you were re-enacting the Apollo 18 movie from the title. :P

Nice job! The craft looked really good.

I really need to do an Apollo-style Mun mission sometime.

You should do it, you feel really good and accomplished the whole way through, especially after splashdown.

Nice mission!

Why does your Service Module have four little Ant engines?

[edit]So sorry, I take everything back. I actually was tired enough to save some designs that were never built after all. Those ants are surplus and have to go, you're right! :o

I blame Foamy, while I still can :D[/edit]

For all those who asked, I never saw the Apollo 18 movie, so I don't know what it's about. Quick search just now told me it's supposed to be some horror sci-fi flick.. no clue. Nothing to do with my project.

One of the guys in chat asked me, if I were to reenact the Apollo program, if mine would have an Apollo 18 in it, since the real one didn't. So of course I said yes, and well, this was it. :) I'm not stopping at 17, hopefully will get a 20 underway soon.

Edited by Chris_W

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.