Stabilizing a Docked Ship for Flight

I've finally managed to dock in orbit! So, time to take Kerbals to another planet. Problem is, when I throttle up to escape Kerbin, disaster strikes…

Here are the docked ships:

uk7b.png

And here is what happens when I throttle up:

0e5i.png

The clamp-o-tron docking ports don't provide as much rigidity as I assume/hoped. I like playing stock, so am hoping to not have to use any mods.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by Project Pluto

Those engines cause a lot of stress on a ship. Try throttling up slower or don't go full throttle. It looks like you need a couple of struts to hold the sections that are separating together. The docking ports will always wobble a bit. I've used horizontal mounted landing legs as clamps before but the construction ends up fairly large.

First off... Mainsails are not the best for an interplanetary mission. Despite their immense power the ISP on them is awful so the nuclear engine is the one you want to use for these kind of mission because although they are very low power they are ridiculuosly efficient.

To solve your problem you have two main options:

- Rebuild it with large docking adapters, engines at the front and use more effecient engines

- Take it slow and increase the engine power slowly using RCS to keep you stable

Thread hijack!

I'm pulling my craft, with Sr docking ports and two nuc engines. No thrust is hitting the structure anywhere, and it's all pretty much radially symmetrical. However, it wiggles when under thrust. Enough that I have to keep dialing down physics warp to correct it.

I have reaction wheels all over the craft. Would that be causing it? Do I need to enable RCS to stabilise it, like back in the ASAS days?

Thread hijack!

I'm pulling my craft, with Sr docking ports and two nuc engines. No thrust is hitting the structure anywhere, and it's all pretty much radially symmetrical. However, it wiggles when under thrust. Enough that I have to keep dialing down physics warp to correct it.

I have reaction wheels all over the craft. Would that be causing it? Do I need to enable RCS to stabilise it, like back in the ASAS days?

there you go

More struts.

My first pull tractor (when I didn't realise how well-recommended they are and thought I was being clever ^^) had the same problem - the nukes were on I-beam girder outriggers and oscillated moderatley badly even without a load. Strutting the engines to the tractor body damped it all out and now (Mk II) there's no movement at all.

Thanks again to everyone who was actually clever in the first place, unlike me, and has posted so many tips here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.