The Ultimate VTOL Challenge

Well, I have got several designs I've been working with, I've been tinkering with VTOLs ever since I discovered Infernal Robotics, as in all honesty I find them easier to fly and such, no having to worry about the jet wanting to nose dive in one direction or another on the run way, anyways another shot of the Harrier for you, landed ontop of the VAB and passing the "The Bedstead Award".

aA83RXF.jpg

Also a rear shot

lO73THp.jpg

There are four engines in total to get it to take off, they are from a mod which modifys the default small jet engines and offers a small and medium sized variants, the engines are pointed down in the picture. The RTGs are for CoM tuning and to make sure I have plenty of power, as the small variants generate zero power when on, an the lights along with mech jeb, which I'm probably going to use for circumnavigation of Kerbin use up quite abit of power, so I figure I may as well have plenty of it provided.

Well, I have got several designs I've been working with, I've been tinkering with VTOLs ever since I discovered Infernal Robotics, as in all honesty I find them easier to fly and such, no having to worry about the jet wanting to nose dive in one direction or another on the run way, anyways another shot of the Harrier for you, landed ontop of the VAB and passing the "The Bedstead Award".

Also a rear shot

There are four engines in total to get it to take off, they are from a mod which modifys the default small jet engines and offers a small and medium sized variants, the engines are pointed down in the picture. The RTGs are for CoM tuning and to make sure I have plenty of power, as the small variants generate zero power when on, an the lights along with mech jeb, which I'm probably going to use for circumnavigation of Kerbin use up quite abit of power, so I figure I may as well have plenty of it provided.

Ok, let me know when you're finished how many you qualify for and I'll add you to the leaderboard.

If you really like VTOL's, try making a vertical one. You'll love it. Pinpoint landing challenge

Okay, well the Harrier GR3 design is what I've named this VTOL, an I'm just going to put it down for the Bedstead and the Moller Distinction as it's two, I'm attempting to make another VTOL design that can will qualify for other awards.

i6RmYPh.jpg

Edited by Duribun
Correcting image posted

Okay, well the Harrier GR3 design is what I've named this VTOL, an I'm just going to put it down for the Bedstead and the Moller Distinction as it's two, I'm attempting to make another VTOL design that can will qualify for other awards.

Leaderboard updated. Well done. Keep me updated on your new project.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, new VTOL built, will be uploading screen shots taken today during flight shortly, but it's already landed on the VAB twice, the second time after it's trip around Kerbin, now to actually make some cargo for it to carry and do the various other challenges, but the new VTOL is capable of a near to perfect hover.

Translation controls thanks to B9 compressed air ports makes hovering so much easier =]

So, as promised, here are the screenshots with the VTOl I'm going to use to hopefully complete ALL the challenges, just may need some additional engines for the speed run, FAR makes going at 2,000m/s a pain on occasion =[

0coTRnA.jpg

After completing the circumnavigation challenge, an landing on the VAB for the second time

QHEnldr.jpg

An the VTOL itself, it's so easy to get this VTOL into a perfect hover, I added compressed air nozzles as previously mentioned to allow me to actually translate the craft left, right, forward, and back with up and down via the B9 VTOL engines themselves.

So, as promised, here are the screenshots with the VTOl I'm going to use to hopefully complete ALL the challenges, just may need some additional engines for the speed run, FAR makes going at 2,000m/s a pain on occasion =[

After completing the circumnavigation challenge, an landing on the VAB for the second time

An the VTOL itself, it's so easy to get this VTOL into a perfect hover, I added compressed air nozzles as previously mentioned to allow me to actually translate the craft left, right, forward, and back with up and down via the B9 VTOL engines themselves.

Looks good!. I already have you with those two awards. Let me know when/if you get more done.

Done! It was surprisingly easy, i will have to do more. I have a question, the one about lifting a payload to KSC 2 can the payload be on top of the craft?

It can be anywhere you like. As a matter of fact, I even tested paradrop cargo so, if you wanna use radials and some chutes, that's fine. As long as the cargo makes it there intact.

Oh, i'm in flight right now. Can it still count if it's still on the craft when it gets there?

Well, I never said you had to drop it but.... If you're going for the Dapa, it reads: The DARPA VTOL-X Award - Launch from KSC. Achieve a speed in excess of 400 m/s while carrying a payload of at least 40 percent of the vehicle's weight. SAFELY deliver and drop this payload to the island runway and return to KSC. (You could be the next DARPA contractor if you meet this one)

40 percent... plus, you need the speed.

Oh, i'm in flight right now. Can it still count if it's still on the craft when it gets there?

Ohhh... nevermind. That's KSC2. The screen was so dark, I thot at first it was the Island. Leaderboard Updated.

Interesting seating arrangement you have there. I have you for Bedstead, Airgeep and Dornier. That correct?

Yup. It needs some work and redesign in order to go for anything else (it tops out at 550 m/s and it can't haul crap). It's really a pure blooded personal carrier.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.