The Ultimate VTOL Challenge

I have one for the "who needs a runway" I will post a more updated set of pics later. But here is the VSR-8. It went to Minimus and back without refueling at a station, it did however refuel itself on Minimus with the Kethane mining gear onboard.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Then there is the SVO-21, which is the smallest of my cargo lifting VTOLs, it can take 7 tons into orbit as a VTOL. Total weight of the craft is around 31 tons. Again these are old pictures, I haven't gone and bothered to do anything new in weeks. But I have tested it in .23 and it still performs the same.

And my favorite looking design, but still mostly untested. It has passed all my trials, which means it can take off as a VTOL and land vertically, achieve a 100km x 100km orbit and is controllable.

VTOLs and Spaceplane SSTOs are my thing. If I can find the time to load up KSP again I will actually do these challenges.

Its gorgeus, but does it have enough fuel to do some of the other challenges?? ^^

Shouldn't be a problem. I never disallowed drop tanks and I never said you had to actually fly it to the Mun. Getting a tow from another craft is perfectly fine with me.

And my favorite looking design, but still mostly untested. It has passed all my trials, which means it can take off as a VTOL and land vertically, achieve a 100km x 100km orbit and is controllable.

Only problem you may have is with those Sabre's. Love the look of that plane but as of .23, my Sabre's don't work. I had to use RAPIER's.

Only problem you may have is with those Sabre's. Love the look of that plane but as of .23, my Sabre's don't work. I had to use RAPIER's.

I actually fixed the SABREs for .23, and the heating problems found in .23 also. I posted the fix several dozen pages back now in the B9 thread.

I have a couple of designs with the RAPIER, but I don't like the look of the RAPIER so I don't use them much.

Shouldn't be a problem. I never disallowed drop tanks and I never said you had to actually fly it to the Mun. Getting a tow from another craft is perfectly fine with me.
Yes, it can in theory load an extra 5T of fuel on the winch in docked mode and just about take off vertically. I think I'll be able to fly it to mun under it's own power and jettison the extra tank before descent. For the moment though I've got a mission to KSC2, I loaded up a 1.2T (25% payload) buggy and six Kerbals, and managed to make 2000m/s at 32Km on the way over.

Darren 1.2t is 25% of your ships mass? How? Your engines alone should come in at 4.8 tons.

Or do you mean 1.2t is 25% of your max payload capacity?

It's Skeppies mini-pack, most of the 1.25m parts in a handy 62.5cm size, they have around 1/8th the volume/mass. I did list it as a mod I used in an earlier post.

It's Skeppies mini-pack, most of the 1.25m parts in a handy 62.5cm size, they have around 1/8th the volume/mass. I did list it as a mod I used in an earlier post.

Oh ok, I must have missed that. Not familure with that mod at all.

Do you have a link to the add-on thread for that mod?

Edited by Hodo

Here's mine: The Spiderweb...

Since I didn't want to use MJ or Engineer, I went with a smaller, more rugged design. It is all stock with no mods. The part count is kind of a killer, but it works. I wanted a design that wouldn't change at all for the challenges. I ended up removing the extra passenger seats for the Minmus trip, but it ended up not being required. Other than that, the only change to the ship was fuel load or the addition of passengers/cargo.

I think I hit all the challenges. There's a lot of pictures, but here's the breakdown in order. I used MJ to highlight all the weights, then removed for flight.

DARPA & AirJeep Challenge: Took 3 passengers and their luggage to the Island.

- Fueled Weight: 3.504t

- Cargo Weight: 2.600t

- Total Weight: 6.104t

- Cargo Fraction: 42%

- 3 Passengers & 1 Crew (I didn't count their weight as cargo. About 0.3t more.)

Dornier & Osprey Challenge: Took 7 passengers and their luggage to KSC2. (And landed on the KSC2 roof after. Bedstead2 if you will...)

- Fueled Weight: 3.684t

- Total Weight: 6.284t

- Cargo Fraction: 41%

- 7 Passengers & 1 Crew (I didn't count their weight either. About 0.8t more.)

Harrier, Clipper, and MLRV Challenge: SSTO trip to Minmus and back.

- Pilot: Bill, Copilot: Jeb

Moller & Bedstead Challenge: Around the world and roof landing using 72 units of fuel.

- Pilot: Bob, Copilot: Billy-Boblorf

Thanks for the challenge!!! :D

Edited by Claw

Here's mine: The Spiderweb...

Since I didn't want to use MJ or Engineer, I went with a smaller, more rugged design. It is all stock with no mods. The part count is kind of a killer, but it works. I wanted a design that wouldn't change at all for the challenges. I ended up removing the extra passenger seats for the Minmus trip, but it ended up not being required. Other than that, the only change to the ship was fuel load or the addition of passengers/cargo.

I think I hit all the challenges. There's a lot of pictures, but here's the breakdown in order. I used MJ to highlight all the weights, then removed for flight.

DARPA & AirJeep Challenge: Took 3 passengers and their luggage to the Island.

- Fueled Weight: 3.504t

- Total Weight: 6.104t

- Cargo Fraction: 42%

- 3 Passengers & 1 Crew (I didn't count their weight as cargo. About 0.3t more.)

Dornier & Osprey Challenge: Took 7 passengers and their luggage to KSC2. (And landed on the KSC2 roof after. Bedstead2 if you will...)

- Fueled Weight: 3.684t

- Total Weight: 6.284t

- Cargo Fraction: 41%

- 7 Passengers & 1 Crew (I didn't count their weight either. About 0.8t more.)

Harrier, Clipper, and MLRV Challenge: SSTO trip to Minmus and back.

- Pilot: Bill, Copilot: Jeb

Moller & Bedstead Challenge: Around the world and roof landing using 72 units of fuel.

- Pilot: Bob, Copilot: Billy-Boblorf

http://imgur.com/a/nW4eO

Thanks for the challenge!!! :D

Very Nice! And a radial design to boot!. Yea, mine is hitting the 170 part count depending on how I set it up. I like the versatility of radials but maybe, a few less radii on mine. Glad you enjoyed it. Leaderboard Updated!

I don't get it, Microsoft Flight Simulator is a hard core simulator and used for training real pilots. If someone is familiar with it I'd trust him to land a real plane especially with the help of the control tower and hopefully a copilot.

but I usually hit the ILS Autopilot* and let the terminal guidance take it in...

*MSFS2K FTW! :D

I don't get it, Microsoft Flight Simulator is a hard core simulator and used for training real pilots. If someone is familiar with it I'd trust him to land a real plane especially with the help of the control tower and hopefully a copilot.

Go get mfx and then fly a real plane. It would be a very... Kerbal landing.

Basically, microsoft flight sim is nowhere near accurate.

Very Nice! And a radial design to boot!. Yea, mine is hitting the 170 part count depending on how I set it up. I like the versatility of radials but maybe, a few less radii on mine. Glad you enjoyed it. Leaderboard Updated!

Haha, thanks. Mine is about 200 parts with cargo. I was going to go with a four leg version, but figured why not go for eight!

Sorry for all the MJ crazy, I was planning on delivering an orange tank. That's a bit hard for me without the extra data. But this one was fun too. :D

@Fengist

I just realized for some reason I never posted the crash pics from the K-5 Blackbird:

So I edited them into my earlier post, as well as posting them here...

Anyways, I'm pretty much done with this challenge for a while- I just wanted to tie up those loose ends...

Regards,

Northstar

P.S. The K-5, or the later K-7 Blackbird, while terrible for vertical landings on low fuel on Kerbin, should both make great VTOL designs on Duna. That's because the atmosphere is much thinner- so the lift:mass ratio should be a lot less excessive. The gravity is also weaker there- reducing the torque on the craft from the CoM not being in the center of the craft. The thrust would come from B9 rocket VTOL engines and KSP-Interstellar thermal turbojets, on the same basic airframe...

Considering that, and my love for Duna, you might see an appearance of the K-7 in a new Flying Duna challenge I've been thinking about designing (a Mk3 challenge, with different rules from the excellent one started by Geschosskopf- one that rewards VTOL designs, low part-count, and cargo-capacity rather than Kerbal-count...)

Thanks for the challenge!

Im working since a few days on a good design. So far my craft might do the trick for all challenges except DARPA and Mun. Im working on that tho.

The fun part: The other challenges can be done with the very same ship:D

Edited by Prophecy

• 2 months later...

Well, while I attempt to actually make a VTOL capable of doing the various challenges, I figured I would make a quick VTOL that one of the challenges gets it's name from, so without further typing here it is.

zXUdzGV.jpg

I have more screen shots of it, just not sure how to actually upload the album like how others above have done.

Well, while I attempt to actually make a VTOL capable of doing the various challenges, I figured I would make a quick VTOL that one of the challenges gets it's name from, so without further typing here it is.

http://i.imgur.com/zXUdzGV.jpg

I have more screen shots of it, just not sure how to actually upload the album like how others above have done.

I like it. Since I started this challenge I've been tinkering with dozens of vtols.

And don't sweat the Imagur. I don't use it either.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.