The Ultimate VTOL Challenge

Meet my ultimate VTOL: The Pogo Stick!

Stock only, no mods at all used, 2.99 t.

I did all achievements separately:

That, it probably one of the more unique solutions that I would have imagined.

Lol, now you see why I required a pilot. Kerbals make great bulldozers. Well done, Leaderboard Updated!

It may be a few days before I get a chance to update the Leader Board again. I'm out on the road and not sure when I'll get a chance to check in next. Also, It'll be a few weeks before I can get my entry submitted. My laptop HATES KSP.

The Mass Key shipyards might whack together VTOL for this it looks like fun, Now you are allowing full electric, now can you still fly with the fuel powered boys on electric provided you are still using a fuel based system to provide the fuel? I'm thinking of taking the basic engine and mod out the thrust part of it and JUST have its power production part remain. And use Firespitter's electric powered blades. IF I post the modded basic jet engine code will that allow me to use something like that. I'm not going to use ANYTHING in the means of a nuclear reactor, just the one that is in the stock game as a backup. IF unable to use the modded basic engine, then I'll adapt and use normal means to VTOL!

Damaske

The Mass Key shipyards might whack together VTOL for this it looks like fun, Now you are allowing full electric, now can you still fly with the fuel powered boys on electric provided you are still using a fuel based system to provide the fuel? I'm thinking of taking the basic engine and mod out the thrust part of it and JUST have its power production part remain. And use Firespitter's electric powered blades. IF I post the modded basic jet engine code will that allow me to use something like that. I'm not going to use ANYTHING in the means of a nuclear reactor, just the one that is in the stock game as a backup. IF unable to use the modded basic engine, then I'll adapt and use normal means to VTOL!

Damaske

Ummm adapt pls. Not everyone is skilled at modding parts and I'd rather this be about piloting and design rather than whacking code. BTW, you may want to look at the Kethane generator as a partial option. It's essentially what you've described but uses Ketane instead of LF. It won't completely power two rotors but it sure helps.

Meet my ultimate VTOL: The Pogo Stick!

Stock only, no mods at all used, 2.99 t.

I did all achievements separately:

impresive :o

I'm trying to make a very nice VTOL for this challenge, here are some pictures..., I may call it the BATVTOL. I made a few test flights, but I'll need to change those jet engines for sabre o rrapier ones, so I can go to the moon too :)

More of it soon!, I'm aiming for design too, and trying to get kerbals as confortable as possible in their quests

Javascript is disabled. View full album

a new set of pictures, still testing this model, I dont think ill be able to leave atmosphere :(, other stuff, its doable!

changed my jets for sabre and fuel consumption raised, also, I have more power than i need. Tryed to get into orbit but not enough fuel..., had to land in the sea, saved the kerbals!!!!!!

also, made a sweet version with firespitter engines, its really good :)

The Harrier distinction seems odd considering that the Harrier is a subsonic plane.

I know it isn't as prestigious-sounding, but honestly the lightning distinction would make more sense considering that with the afterburner, it can reach twice the speed that the Harrier can (though still only 30%, if that, of the speed you require.)

The Harrier distinction seems odd considering that the Harrier is a subsonic plane.

I know it isn't as prestigious-sounding, but honestly the lightning distinction would make more sense considering that with the afterburner, it can reach twice the speed that the Harrier can (though still only 30%, if that, of the speed you require.)

Picky... it's because half the countries on the planet have or do own harriers.

Thought I'd share my in development V-STS-C-Firefly, a cargo STS. Designed to land a tbd base on Kerbin or Laythe and should be another Pogo Stick award wining VTOL.

Unfortunately it is incredibly unstable during the transition between vertical and horizontal flight.

HA3OyWH.jpg

Here it is with a test payload.

Edited by Swifty
ooo 100th post

I really like the look of some of the bigger ships in this thread, I started with something smaller though. It launches at 1.34T, can carry six passengers or 60% of its mass more than half way around Kerbin, complete a continuous lap at 36,000m/2000+m/s and with an additional small atomic rocket (allowable small design change?) can attain orbit and complete Munar operations - could be the Pogo Award.

Uses Skeppies mini-pack and B9 (and KAS). The center engine mount can rotate a full 360*, it shouldn't be pointed at the pilot or front wings though :)

For the two mass/Kerbal challenges to KSC2 and the dirt runway, since six Kerbals in six command seats adds 0.8T to the craft (the Kerbals must carry the seats to the craft and attach them, and also remove them after the flight), I counted the same mission as achieving both (delivering 0.8T/60% of mass and six Kerbals safely). They can easily be flown again with just the equivalent mass if necessary.

I tried to launch from KSC to orbit and to Mun and got there and landed but only had enough fuel to safely fly 20Km from the first landing, from Mun orbit it can complete the challenge, and it's only 2T to move there.

I really like the look of some of the bigger ships in this thread, I started with something smaller though. It launches at 1.34T, can carry six passengers or 60% of its mass more than half way around Kerbin, complete a continuous lap at 36,000m/2000+m/s and with an additional small atomic rocket (allowable small design change?) can attain orbit and complete Munar operations - could be the Pogo Award.

Uses Skeppies mini-pack and B9 (and KAS). The center engine mount can rotate a full 360*, it shouldn't be pointed at the pilot or front wings though :)

For the two mass/Kerbal challenges to KSC2 and the dirt runway, since six Kerbals in six command seats adds 0.8T to the craft (the Kerbals must carry the seats to the craft and attach them, and also remove them after the flight), I counted the same mission as achieving both (delivering 0.8T/60% of mass and six Kerbals safely). They can easily be flown again with just the equivalent mass if necessary.

I tried to launch from KSC to orbit and to Mun and got there and landed but only had enough fuel to safely fly 20Km from the first landing, from Mun orbit it can complete the challenge, and it's only 2T to move there.

OMG that VTOL is just so cute.

and the rest... the F-35 Lightning has an unclassified top end of 536m/s and a runway start full-strike-combat-load TWR of something like 0.68 (1.03? with just internal fuel tanks). Though surprisingly, the thrust-to-drag ratio SUCKS (or maybe not so surprisingly, it's designed for supersonic stealth). It's outperformed by a Gripen! (sources: Indiandefence, ACM). So if your VTOL goes faster than that, Lockheed Martin would like to talk to you... :)

Im making progress with my BATVTOL!, here are some of the proofs :)

(im making some video clips, but I dont have time to merge them together yet!)

The Bedstead Award DONE. Base model with 6m crew cabin

The Airgeep Distinction DONE Used alternative engines, just for fun.. Also, its soooooooo smooth with those firespitter beasts!!! Lovely BATVTOL :D

The Harrier Distinction DONE

The Moller Distinction DONE

The Dornier Award DONE. middle section is the cargo bay filled with people containers :D ALMOST NO FUEL :)

The Osprey Award DONE.

VIDEO HERE

The DARPA VTOL-X Award DONE.

The Delta Clipper Award DONE. when i went to the moon.

The MLRV Award (Munar Landing Research Vehicle) I just made it to the moon, and landcrashed and broke some legs. Not so efficient to go, but this is a huge VTOL!, not easy.

Pogo stick award will be POSSIBLE!

-------------------------EXTRAS-------------------------

xbPBvoB.jpg

You can't deny me the awesome looks :D

--------------------------------------------------

MOD LIST:

-B9 Aerospace (Using the 0.22 version with the fixes that are listed in the forum post)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/t...

-procedural dynamics (wings shapeable, love this mod)

-Firespitter propeller (propeller engine)

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/firespitte...

-Steam Gauges (for this LOVELY green HUD and much more gauges)

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/steamgauges/

-Magicsmokeindustries (moving parts)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/t...)

-Mechjeb2 (autopilot and info. only used for the vessel info tho)

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/mechjeb/

-rasterpropmonitor (new IVA and cameras)

And I think that's all!

Edited by m1sz

Darren9 that is really impressive.

M1sz I'm sure you can get it to 2km/s under 40k if you can get it into orbit. When you switch to rocket mode just pitch down a little so you hit 2km/s while keeping your apoapse just below the alt limit

Presenting...

Stock VTOL Rover/Boat SSTO!

Although I didn't have enough time to complete all the distinctions, I did do the Bedstead Award and Harrier distinction awards. It should be capable of attaining the Airgeep Distinction, Moller Distinction, Dornier Award, Osprey Award, Delta Clipper Award, and MLRV awards though. In other words, it should be capable of attaining all awards except for the DARPA VTOL-X Award, which I'm not entirely sure of.

But the main feature of this craft is that it includes rover wheels and RTGs for driving around with. It reaches top speeds of 45 m/s on rover wheels alone!

May as well throw mine in here, which I just made today. Probably violates some rule or another but here. It was first called Science Train. But it wasn't very good. So along came Science Train II (Flying edition). Unfortunately, while it did fly it tended to do so poorly. Hard to get spitfire VTOL engines to work with wings properly on large aircraft.

End result, the Science Train V (Stable Edition). It flies great. Very stable, can maneuver very well, and

Oh, almost forgot to mention that It has no wings!

Yes, you read that right. No. Wings. And it still flies great without having to treat the thing like a rocket (though it has sufficient thrust and torque to go vertical at low altitudes). Actually, the lack of wings is quite useful in one regard. When it flames out and starts going into that annoying death spin, its back under control and pointing its original heading in 10 seconds. Or a different heading if I want to suddenly fly 90 degrees to the right for some reason. No flat lifting surfaces to be annoyed by crosswinds, and a bunch of torque wheels make this the best handling thing I ever made at high altitudes. The thing is incredible, I can tack against the wind at angles that would literally tear some of my other aircraft apart.

Anywho, here's some images.

6qMXEii.jpg

zCMc10I.jpg

So there you have it!

Wings are overrated! Don't need no wings to make something that still flies like a plane!

Edited by Ryu Gemini

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.