Reynard Rockets Rockomax Jumbo Spaceplane 64 Challenge

ATTENTION BUILDERS

50266_224422029265_5667117_n.jpg

Reynard Rockets has a special challenge for you!

Take a Rockomax Jumbo-64 fuel tank, and use it as part of a spaceplane's fuselage. And we're not talking Rockets here. We want to see a plane takeoff from the KSC runway and make orbit without dropping or leaving behind any parts!

rrrjs64c.jpg

The winner is the person who can make stable orbit with the most fuel remaining. Separate Scoreboards for Stock, Modded, and Exploitational parts. Modded parts includes mods that alter physics and/or provide custom parts.

Pics or it didn't happen. Videos better.

Here are the technical details:

Requirements:

Rockomax Jumbo-64 Fuel Tank as part of fuselage. This means it is an integral part of the plane's structure, not an attachment

or addon part.

SSTO design, no dropping or destroying parts.

Stable Orbit, 70km Periapsis minimum.

Scoring:

Screenshot or video at the runway before takeoff. When Orbit is achieved, take screenshot or video.

Score is fuel remaining of liquid fuel and oxidizer divided by total capacity of liquid fuel and oxidizer, the result multiplied times one hundred. If Solid Rocket Boosters are used, then Solid Rocket Booster fuel is added to the formula.

Classifications:

Stock: Stock KSP, no edited parts, added parts, or altered physics. Vehicles don't use parts clipping for performance enhancement.

Modded: If KSP has altered physics, edited parts, and/or added parts, then the entry goes in this category.

Exploitational: If the vehicle uses parts-clipping (be it allowed parts clipping or ALT-F12) to "double-up" engines, intakes, or other parts to increase performance in an "unrealistic" manner, such as clipping several Ram-Air intakes into each other to increase intake performance, or layering Radial intakes in series one behind the other, where the intake in front would obviously block the airflow of the one behind, or Ram-Air or Circular intakes that are obviously placed in a manner where airflow would be impossible to achieve, such as on the end of a girder or beam with no structure behind it, or stacking control surfaces on the same wing, or clipping multiple engines into eachother. These exploits of physics provide far greater performance than would be possible with sensible construction, and thus require that they compete in their own category.

Bonus Points:

Michael Bayman Award: Use Station Cupola as cockpit: 10 pts

Round Trip Award: Land and Return from another world outside Kerbin SOI: 100 pts

Great Kerbin Rally Award: Post a video of your ship getting orbital capture of every planet around Kerbol and landing back at KSC: 1000 pts (and you win the Internets if you pull that off without refueling)

Scoreboard:

Stock

Mobjack - Angry Beetle

Pics Provided

Score: 60.5

Mazlem - Dumbo

Video Provided

Score: 9.03

Cupola Bonus

Total: 19.03

Oldielthen

Video Provided

Score: 8.38

Cupola Bonus

Total: 18.38

Modded

none yet :/

Exploitational

SuperBigD60

Mud Skipper

MechJeb, FAR, KSP Interstellar

Video Provided

Score: 81.85

Interstellar Land and Return Bonus

Total Score: 181.85

cyberklad - Jeb's Air Hog

Pics Provided

Score: 82.17

capi3101 - Auk VII

Pics Provided

Score: 56.736

Edited by Blaster
Scoreboard

Interesting -- this is basically the same mass as my Laythe mission.

I'm currently being stymied by a bug in mechjeb that makes my plane too tedious to fly. Launch will take ~30 minutes real time on my machine; I can't handle the tedium of carefully controlling it the whole way. But MechJeb keeps jamming the controls all the way one way then the other, until finally the plane flips out. Oh well.

Only one entry per participant or more? If multiple entrys are possible, i have already one of my early designs to submit: A CTV/Refueler (for a space station) witch is capable of delivering over 2/3 of the fuel of an orange tank.

Edited by Heagar

So the Jumbo64 must be the only tank?

Use at least one, there are no limits for going bigger. If you can make a 100 jumbo jumbo mumbo plane and not meltdown your computer in the process, be my guest. I want to see a video of that.

Ok here's my entry. If I did the math right... (84.83 fuel + 493 oxidizer) / (2880 fuel + 3520 oxidizer) * 100 = 9.03. 10pt bonus for the Cupola gives me 19.03 points!

Good work for the first entry! Got a name for that flying tank?

Reason Cupoula cockpit is a bonus award is because that cockpit has astronomical frontal drag, which makes it a lot easier for the plane to flip over if you try a shallow ascent profile, like you would on most SSTO's.

With (2287LF + 3464OX left / 3480LF + 3520OX max ) * 100 = 82,17% fuel carried into a 100x100KM orbit.

Will see if I can't get a better version made. But at least it's a half decent first attempt.

(stock + mechjeb.)

That's some epic intake abuse there. I want to see that thing do a Laythe round trip! Got a name for this bird?

I may have to divide the categories up, so that "exploits" have their own class, like the epic parts clipping.

Edited by Blaster

Here's a possible bonus setup - points for:

1) Rendezvousing with a target in orbit

2) Dropping off fuel (points for fuel dropped off)

3) Landing, bonus for runways.

I suggest this because I and several others have been developing orange tank deliverers of late; my own designs have fallen short, due to the shift in the center of mass that the delivery of fuel causes. I don't necessarily suggest this as a replacement for the original rules, more of an augmentation.

That's some epic intake abuse there. I want to see that thing do a Laythe round trip! Got a name for this bird?

I may have to divide the categories up, so that "exploits" have their own class, like the epic parts clipping.

I guess one might as well call it.

Jeb's air hog.

Reason Cupoula cockpit is a bonus award is because that cockpit has astronomical frontal drag, which makes it a lot easier for the plane to flip over if you try a shallow ascent profile, like you would on most SSTO's.

I called it the first thing I thought of - Dumbo :)

So THATS why my orange tank/plane keeps flipping out when I try to level off at 20,000 meters to build speed!

Thank you for answering that mystery.

So THATS why my orange tank/plane keeps flipping out when I try to level off at 20,000 meters to build speed!

Thank you for answering that mystery.

It took me months to figure that out. I have literally over a dozen redesigns of the KermaJet Avatar, trying to fix that problem.

I've already attempted a few of theses... **runs off to see if she can pull one out of mothball and get into flying order for this challenge.** OR I can just start over, I did have troubles with em. Also Are FX mods considered modded content? IE mod that changes how the exhausts look?

Damaske

I've already attempted a few of theses... **runs off to see if she can pull one out of mothball and get into flying order for this challenge.** OR I can just start over, I did have troubles with em. Also Are FX mods considered modded content? IE mod that changes how the exhausts look?

Damaske

Mods are changes that affect physics or provide custom parts. If I can't load your craft in Stock KSP, it's modded. If it flies different on Stock KSP, it's modded.

This is not my entry, yet, as the ship still has 5.6 km/s dV to play with, but I will show off how my challenge is going so far.

Ev1YoOwl.png

92MavIfl.png

IarRmyil.png

(3570 LF + 4140 O)/(4320 LF + 5280 O) * 100=80.31

Not bad, but I think I'll take a trip out to jool and perhaps land on Laythe and the smaller moons before I'm done.

Also, I'm using MechJeb, FAR, KSP Interstellar for the intake precoolers, and I've clipped 4 ram intakes together at the front of each of those engine cylinder things.

And for scoring's sake, if I tweaked oxidizer out of some tanks, should that whole capacity count against me, or should it just be liftoff capacity?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.