Harnessing the Kraken: Eeloo in 11 hours!

Comrade Jenkens

Do you think a Krakeb Drive is possible?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think a Krakeb Drive is possible?

• In Practice
    • In Theory
    • Not at all

I had the Hell Kraken hit my Kerballed ship on the way to Jool. It was part of a squadron also consisting of a tanker and a probe, orbiter + lander. (My PC is old and the high part count and multiple objects in orbit give me lots of yellow MET numbers.)

The probe and tanker were fine. Actually the Kraken hit as I switched from one of those surviving ships to the Kerballed ship. After restarting KSP, the Kerballed ship was gone.

So this time, imagining it's somehow safer, I'm not switching between ships in map view, instead I'm exiting to the tracking station and selecting new ships to view from there. So far so good. I wonder if this is helping though.

So just how controllable is the new craft? I will not be on my PC until later to try it out, but it already sounds like it is going well :D Soon we will have fully functional Kraken drives :)

Rune has developed a ship that is ready for orbital trials and is controllable. I'm testing lifting orange tanks off the launch pad currently and have managed well over 20g in space.

I'm still have problems with the landing gear breaking but its still early days.

My ultimate goal is to develop a drive that can get to eeloo in 1 in game day.

Wait, it can lift an orange tank off the launchpad?? Well, hopefully you can find a way to maximize its acceleration as well to maybe FTL Egg acceleration, plaster those kerbals against the walls with 137g's of acceleration! :D ..Although that might have been a serious Kraken attack, as I usually don't obtain 500km/s before leaving Kerbin :P

Edited by A Fat Pokemon

I wonder if you could use sas's as some sort of "capacitor" to store/harness some of the phantom torque's?

I was wondering if someone could mount the thing on a stock bearing (Same as the stock helicopters) to try to alleviate the forces on the ship. Plus a spinning warp drive would look awesome.

Thinking of mounting some ion engines on it for a blue glow effect when its powered up. :D

I was wondering if someone could mount the thing on a stock bearing (Same as the stock helicopters) to try to alleviate the forces on the ship. Plus a spinning warp drive would look awesome.

Thinking of mounting some ion engines on it for a blue glow effect when its powered up. :D

I like the way you think. That all sounds awesome.

You've got my interest up, maybe if I get some free time I'd like to help in this if that's all ok?

I've got an idea or two, including the sas one, my idea is, they'll try to counter the phantom forces themselves, and if you have enough of them, and it would work that you could harness THAT for propulsion, you could multiply the amount of force generated by quite a bit.

I have no idea if that hypothesis holds even the slightest bit of water, but it was my first though when I looked at your creation.

You've got my interest up, maybe if I get some free time I'd like to help in this if that's all ok?

I'm trying to get as many people to help as possible. :) I'm neither the brightest, most skilled or the most imaginative engineer here so I'm sure that others could do it a lot better.

I'm just trying to get peoples interest and hopefully someone will make a breakthrough.

I'm trying to get as many people to help as possible. :) I'm neither the brightest, most skilled or the most imaginative engineer here so I'm sure that others could do it a lot better.

I'm just trying to get peoples interest and hopefully someone will make a breakthrough.

Yeah, I'm sure everyone, if there is enough interest, could bring some interesting and unique things to the table, and it could end up with something crazy powerful.

And stuff like that is why I love this game.

I actually d/l'd the craft and had a flight with it, very interesting how it works.

I'm playing around at making my own version of it now, simply because that's how I learn the best...and I have two ideas already.

We'll see how that goes.

By the way you've nicely refined the concept idea there.

A Kraken-powered warp drive? And all stock, no less? That is pure win. :)

I would love to see a huge expedition vessel using this technology, once it's been perfected. With a big crew, lots of landers, scientific instruments, etc.

Yesterday I met a textbook like kraken when testing one of my SSTO spaceplane.

At first, I was preparing the payloads (10 kerbals). Then I found one of them unwilling to stand up. He just too tired to do another space flight. "Not again..."

KSP2014-02-0600-24-32-56.jpg

However, his exploration nature won all the laziness and tireness.

KSP2014-02-0600-24-53-67.jpg

One kerman should never forget his own seatbelt...

KSP2014-02-0600-28-17-43.jpg

After a long long ascend, when meeting the altitue of about 24,000m, the kraken greeted all the passengers.

The process was like thunder and lightning, one second before, all things were just fine and dandy, the next second, a kerbal was tear to a very large triangle and slash the whole plane and smash it into piece, literally...

KSP2014-02-0600-56-25-63.jpg

I seldom met such destrution that powerful as this one even in a land crash but Jeb seemed fine for this one.

KSP2014-02-0600-56-31-43.jpg

I just. Wow. And people thought it couldn't be done.

All I can think is that all this tinkering and abusing of glitches will be immensely useful to the developers when they try to fix them, so try to make sure you document your findings thoroughly, if you could... though really, just having craft files capable of this kind of physics evasion will be of immense use, I'm sure. :D

I have another slipspace drive, and may be able to recreate the phenomena in space like this:

dqGY4pr.jpg

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Also... everytime I come near success, the precursor-made kraken eats my forerunner-based slipspace drive. I guess non-crystal mediated slipspace travel is dangerous.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by andrew123

I made a version too, it's been difficult for me to get the placement of the legs just right, many of my attempts violently exploded after extremely energetic bursts of speed....or just power.

But I finally made a version that is pretty stable to fly even, and then I took that in a different direction too.

I learned something I suspected, the more mass you have on this system, the more power you get. I mean that ones kind of obvious, but. *shrugs*

Which leads me to believe you could probably make something very fast, that would only really work in space without a nearly 100% critical failure rate.

Here's the small scale one.

screenshot566.png

And here is the (slightly) larger scale version of it.

I've come up with a few ideas on how to shrink it too, and perhaps make it more powerful at the same time. I'll work on that a little later or tomorrow.

OK.

You can go TWO main ways with that I think, one way, you would need to work out some veeeeery complex bearings, but then, you would have an Event Horizon style spinning anti-gravity reactor.

You would still need outside propulsion, making this one bizarrely more suited to in atmospheric flight.

Here's my "anti-gravity-reactor" test in action.

I have ANOTHER idea though, that might be able to launch a craft at some fairly high speeds. Prototype to come...

And then, just now while typing this, I had another idea.

On this thread I want ppl to post about their Kraken encounters and most importantly what causes them I'd like to know the pieces and interactions that do this and the effects its had on your ships. :)

The reason for this is I want to find out how to trigger these physics breakdowns and hopefully to harness them in some kind of productive way. Yes I am talking about stock warp drives!!! I the past I've had glitches which have caused my ships to accelerate to past the speed of light yet I have no idea how to trigger this.

My final goal from this reaearch is to create a device that can transport a ship from Kerbin to Eeloo in a single in game day.

You sure are a proper kerbal engineer. Harnessing the power of The Kraken is a act that nobody had thought before.

Edited by DJEN

lots of yellow MET numbers

Are they not supposed to be that colour then? ;)

Pad. (running on a 2.16Ghz Core Duo with Nvidia Quadro NVS 100M)

P.S. I do see get green MET numbers when on Mun/Minmus with a fairly small craft but very rarely on Kerbin, e.g. my first career mode mission of a capsule alone on the pad...

Are they not supposed to be that colour then? ;)

Pad. (running on a 2.16Ghz Core Duo with Nvidia Quadro NVS 100M)

P.S. I do see get green MET numbers when on Mun/Minmus with a fairly small craft but very rarely on Kerbin, e.g. my first career mode mission of a capsule alone on the pad...

If it's yellow it means it's running slower than normal. A lot of my ships do this to my computer, though I'm sure you are aware the game is completely playable in that state. If you want to encourage it to be green more often you can lower the video settings. It'll always be slightly worse on Kerbin though, or any body with water, because of the way the game handles it. I seem to recall that KSP does oceans by basically having two overlapping planets, so it's not hard to believe they make things slower.

A good trick to speed things up on launch is to watch from beneath your rocket, so only the sky and your rocket are visible.

On a more topic related note, wow...I didn't think the Kraken could be harnessed, but it seems that Comrade Jenkins is proving me wrong. Hat's off to you sir...

Edited by Brapness

Thanks, I'm well aware of all that as I thought the winking smiley, the pathetic system spec and the P.S. indicated. It isn't actually as bad as I made out, I was making a joke...

I run with every performance related setting tweaked to give optimal performance on my machine (without seriously upsetting the physics by setting the time per frame too high) and have "fixed" the water rendering. While I'm not exactly happy about the performance I get on this machine, I do understand that this is >90% the fault of the machine rather than KSP. I will be getting a significantly higher spec machine soon which I fully expect to stay locked in the green with any craft I have built so far...

I'm trying to replicate Andrew123's device with no luck. :( (See page 7) Though I've managed further upgrades to power and control I still can't initiate the light speed Kraken glitch. I never expected to have anti gravity come out of this though. :)

My next task is to stop the legs from breaking while the drive is being used. After that I may prototype the drive on a ship.

Sometimes it seems to me that rotating solar panels somehow create movement ...

It definitely did for the big ones on my infamous space station - but I think that was something completely different.

So, if you want a kraken powered, warp speed trip, here's what you can do.

1 Sink a part to the bottom of the ocean.

2 Wiggle around a lot.

3 Wait as you sink.

4 Woosh.

Ah, so that is why they parked the Orion on the bottom of the sea ...

Edited by KerbMav

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.