[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Good misison, but why did you use the main engines after the fuel tank detaches? I also noticed, near fuel tank decoupling, that you had more than 3 engines "on"

The OMS engines have a higher Isp than the SSME engines (orbital maneuver system) (space shuttle main engines) so when I get into orbit I kick them on. They are preconfigured (at least in 1.05) to have the 14 degree pitch. This is to be used when the orange tank is still attached.

I could do a much longer orbital insertion burn using just the OMS engines, but I like the quicker injection burn with the main engines firing and it uses up most of the fuel so that reentry and landing are not overweight and or not to my liking lol.

Would you consider some deployable solar panels on the inside of the cargo doors

I'd prefer the fuel cell that's in the current implementation. Just like in the real Space Shuttle. It's better to have power even if there's no sun. Plus you need power regen during reentry/landing. Can't have the solar panels open then.

I got a shuttle into orbit before 1.12 so it is missing the avionics part as I used the included craft. I have not updated since I don't know how it will effect my ship. Will the shuttle be able to fly and land in atmosphere as normal?

Anyone able to supply some guesstimate figures for the cargo weight limits for this shuttle and still make a 70k-ish orbit?

Given how overpowered it is, you could probably fill the cargo space with pure neutronium and still be fine.

I got a shuttle into orbit before 1.12 so it is missing the avionics part as I used the included craft. I have not updated since I don't know how it will effect my ship. Will the shuttle be able to fly and land in atmosphere as normal?

If you're using a stock installation (and not FAR or DRE or something) you'll be fine by putting one on. Will improve performance of RCS in space.

Thanks a lot for this. Since I'm playing with FAR, Deadly Reentry et cetera and I'm full of mods I can't really appreciate the complete system, but the engines alone were a godsend. Non-OP engines with decent gimbals made my first shuttle possible.

I'll keep watching this space anyway; I'm sure that someone will work on FAR compatibility sooner or later :)

If you're using a stock installation (and not FAR or DRE or something) you'll be fine by putting one on. Will improve performance of RCS in space.

My shuttle is already in space, and I can't put a new part on mid-flight as far as I know. What should I do?

Shuttle Variations And Derivatives That Never Happened -

An Historical Review

PDF file, a scholarly paper by an engineer at BOEING.

Page 5 is interesting. It has a shroud on the TOP of the ET for large, low density payloads.

ajiIg2o.jpg

There's even on page 9, a SSME-less orbiter, with only a single large OMS engine -- dumping the SSMEs allowed a payload bay stretch, and allowed subsonic lift/drag to increase.

I am struggling to make orbit with around 4 tons in the cargo bay.

FAR must make this thing -way- easier then because I have the opposite experience. I had to edit the configuration files and pretty much cut half of the fuel everywhere it was so OP.

FAR must make this thing -way- easier then because I have the opposite experience. I had to edit the configuration files and pretty much cut half of the fuel everywhere it was so OP.

If that's the case - then that will explain it. Not using FAR makes the current OP suggestions of holding 40-degress immediately from launch not practical for a stock installation with no mod other than KSO. I have to wait a while before tilting back for the orbit burn.

I can get to a 80k circular orbit with a 1 ton sat (FAR not installed), but I find it's close and would need extra fuel in the cargo bay for any eventualities. Without it, I'm a little short for the longer retrograde burn that I'd like for a quicker descent, but I still get back no probs with the shallow angle without that long burn.

I know it's not practical for support all combinations of mods / no-mod, but could there be a note on the 2nd OP for those using stock?

Also, it might help future users stop asking why the shuttle keep flipping on OMS-only, by ensuring it's clear to dump the EFT before attempting to use OMS (as you mentioned in an earlier post buried in this thread)

eg change OP point item to:

-The tank should have more than enough fuel to burn you into desired circularization orbit (burn prograde towards the target node). Once the EFT runs out of fuel (monitor it by right clicking on it), slowdown and use RCS or the OMS engines to slowly separate from it. (using only OMS will flip shuttle if still attached to EFT)

Edited by wile1411

If that's the case - then that will explain it. Not using FAR makes the current OP suggestions of holding 40-degress immediately from launch not practical for a stock installation with no mod other than KSO. I have to wait a while before tilting back for the orbit burn.

I can get to a 80k circular orbit with a 1 ton sat (FAR not installed), but I find it's close and would need extra fuel in the cargo bay for any eventualities. Without it, I'm a little short for the longer retrograde burn that I'd like for a quicker descent, but I still get back no probs with the shallow angle without that long burn.

I know it's not practical for support all combinations of mods / no-mod, but could there be a note on the 2nd OP for those using stock?

Also, it might help future users stop asking why the shuttle keep flipping on OMS-only, by ensuring it's clear to dump the EFT before attempting to use OMS (as you mentioned in an earlier post buried in this thread)

eg change OP point item to:

-The tank should have more than enough fuel to burn you into desired circularization orbit (burn prograde towards the target node). Once the EFT runs out of fuel (monitor it by right clicking on it), slowdown and use RCS or the OMS engines to slowly separate from it. (using only OMS will flip shuttle if still attached to EFT)

Thank you for your suggestion!

Two things have slowly drifted as we've updated it, the launch profile and the landing (retro burn location). If you notice in my video I'm targeting past the island and recently most returns have been two island widths past the island. The OP directions are old... as in version 0.8 Alpha old...

Also we still had to do a lot of research and have since made efficiency changes as well as increased or decreased fuel amounts.

Few things I noticed about the Stack mounted .craft file:

-The struts that connected to the External Tank are still on the bottom of the Orbiter. They serve no purpose in this design.

-The Thrustmax engines are designed to work when feeding off a large tank and in the lower atmosphere. In the stack mounted design they only have that small Orbiter tank and only fire in the upper atmosphere. They just weigh the Orbiter down here. Just having the smaller engines on there is sufficient.

-The rest of the launcher is only the orange tank. Why not put boosters or an engine on there? Are we supposed to do it ourselves?

One thing about the regular VAB Shuttle .craft file:

-The launch clamps on the orange tank make more sense on the boosters. That way you don't bump into them if the vehicle starts moving that way on liftoff.

One thing about the SPH .craft file:

-It has the SAS still in the nosecone, although it's the one that has the SAS in it already.

Also may I suggest a version of the Orbiter for the SPH without the launch vehicle? Horizontal, landing gear lowered, no pitch trim. It'd be handy for flight testing.

Edited by CaptRobau