[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Actually, all the shuttles are realistic like. The x-33 is actually a real concept shuttle.

The X-33 is realistic the other three are not even close. The "lunar shuttle" wouldnt have enough engine pitch to compensate for the SRBs, not to mention it cant use the tank in orbit meaning in the end u still have a shuttle with just RCS for thrusters, the armageddon shuttle is... its very "special" lets say. and the united nations one ignores the fact that the United Nations Space branch is very small and doesnt launch rockets. Also the fact that that rocket would flip FAR-style because of the center of pressure's location.

The X-33 is realistic the other three are not even close. The "lunar shuttle" wouldnt have enough engine pitch to compensate for the SRBs, not to mention it cant use the tank in orbit meaning in the end u still have a shuttle with just RCS for thrusters, the armageddon shuttle is... its very "special" lets say. and the united nations one ignores the fact that the United Nations Space branch is very small and doesnt launch rockets. Also the fact that that rocket would flip FAR-style because of the center of pressure's location.

If you look at the x-71(the Armageddon shuttle) , it has hunches on the back side, this could be fuel tanks, so it is possible for the engines to be relit in space. As for the SRBs and engine pitch, as long as the COM is behind the COT, it should be fine.

270px-2009VersionX33.JPG

The X-33. It looks great, but I don't really think it could fit the KSO theme. It's a rocket SSTO that launches vertically and lands horizontally, but its cargo capacity would be very low, beyond the crew which can be assumed to be about 7.

Helldiver already has other parts he was considering adding in after the Super 25. Let's just be patient and look forward to future updates on the S25 for now.

I'm particularly looking forward to his take on a lander capsule/legs/associated things

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d9/2009VersionX33.JPG/270px-2009VersionX33.JPG

The X-33. It looks great, but I don't really think it could fit the KSO theme. It's a rocket SSTO that launches vertically and lands horizontally, but its cargo capacity would be very low, beyond the crew which can be assumed to be about 7.

Actually, the cargo bay is rather large.

30_venturestar.jpg

If you look at the x-71(the Armageddon shuttle) , it has hunches on the back side, this could be fuel tanks, so it is possible for the engines to be relit in space. As for the SRBs and engine pitch, as long as the COM is behind the COT, it should be fine.

I know that if the COT is through the COM it would be fine, Im saying it would clearly not be the case, the SRBs on the side along with the shuttle might work since that is similar to the actual configuration, but the SRBs on the back end would shift the CoT far too much.. The same goes for the Armageddon shuttle, the SRBs would cause it to flip around in space.

I know that if the COT is through the COM it would be fine, Im saying it would clearly not be the case, the SRBs on the side along with the shuttle might work since that is similar to the actual configuration, but the SRBs on the back end would shift the CoT far too much.. The same goes for the Armageddon shuttle, the SRBs would cause it to flip around in space.

Not if you had powerful enough RCS they would compensate for the problem.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d9/2009VersionX33.JPG/270px-2009VersionX33.JPG

The X-33 was supposed to be unmanned and suborbital, it had NO payload. They are probably referring to the VentureStar which would be orbital, but still unmanned. It could carry 20000 kg to orbit and would have the option to carry passengers as cargo.

Oh, you meant on launch, I thought you meant in space lol

Well, the x-33 has extra surface controls to compensate for that.

There are loads of ways to fix the COM problem.

Heavier fuel tank

lower thrust SRBs

Weights in the shuttle to move the COM

Oh, you meant on launch, I thought you meant in space lol

Well, the x-33 has extra surface controls to compensate for that.

There are loads of ways to fix the COM problem.

Heavier fuel tank

lower thrust SRBs

Weights in the shuttle to move the COM

Typically, though, lowering the thrust of an SRB results in a lower ISP, at least in my model rocketing experience

The only thing I really dislike about the mod is the laptops on the station. The square RPM on a rectangular screen looks out of place, and worse still, there is a normal laptop background almost completely covered by the RPM. It's a good idea, but it seems a bit rushed compared to the rest of this excellent mod. Maybe a square laptop would have worked better?

The only thing I really dislike about the mod is the laptops on the station. The square RPM on a rectangular screen looks out of place, and worse still, there is a normal laptop background almost completely covered by the RPM. It's a good idea, but it seems a bit rushed compared to the rest of this excellent mod. Maybe a square laptop would have worked better?

The RPM screen is a window on the laptop, just like a browser windows on your computer.

The X-33 was supposed to be unmanned and suborbital, it had NO payload. They are probably referring to the VentureStar which would be orbital, but still unmanned. It could carry 20000 kg to orbit and would have the option to carry passengers as cargo.

Oh, right, my bad. I always fail to distinguish between the two. It's not the first time that it's happened...

Typically, though, lowering the thrust of an SRB results in a lower ISP, at least in my model rocketing experience

Thrust is actually based on Isp, not the other way around. Thrust depends on Isp and mass flow of the propellant.

Actually not. When lowering the Isp of an SRB by changing for example the nozzle, thrust will be reduced because the effective exhaust velocity is reduced. However, a slower burning fuel that has approximately the same specific energy (energy/weight) will produce lower thrust with the same Isp.

I think its around 2.5 - 3.0m wide and arund 7-9m long (I think from previous posts).

It's wide enough to carry 2.5m parts with small attachments (like RCS blocks), which means that it's more than 2.5m wide. And it looks like it's about 2.5 to 3 times as long as it's wide. I'm not sure if it'll carry an orange juice, but there should be room for a two-segment grey tank.

I just installed this mod, but it crashes my KSP right after the loading screen before the menu :/

My installed mods are:

Fasa

KW Rocketry

and Mechjeb..

Is there any incompatibility?