[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Perfect, this is definitely going to be my new crew transport.

tumblr_n0jpu9200r1tq6149o1_1280.png

She flies like a dream!

Quick experiment: I'm going to try, and rendezvous with my telescope in geosynch orbit. Let's see what she can really do*!

*without FAR

Quick experiment: I'm going to try, and rendezvous with my telescope in geosynch orbit. Let's see what she can really do

Looks good, can you show a screen with the actual connected port? What structure is that closest to the shuttle? Also nice screen with the chute Razorcane.

I cannot answer PM's at the moment unrelated to technical issues or bugs as I'm very busy answering people's questions and any technical issues.

If you would like a peek as to how a lot of the KSO was done, see the original Kerbin Mini Shuttle thread and look for the External Fuel Tank modeling from start to finish posts I made.

What modeling program, art program, etcetera to use is way beyond the scope of this or that thread. However there are numerous resources on the web dealing with several modeling programs including Blender or MilkShape as well as student licenses for 3DMax or Maya. There are numerous tutorials on how to get started modeling in such programs.

I see, thanks for that, but I've already sorta... kinda... got everything done but a few things... :)

Well, here's my PM. :P

Hello, Helldiver. I'm working on my own shuttle, Helldiver, you inspired me. :)

It's going to be more blunt, and probably a bit smaller.

Your shuttle is so cute, Helldiver; it makes me cry... ;.;

Well, here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68514-WIP-My-Shuttle-Orbiter-Tribute-to-Helldiver-ALSO-QUESTIONS-Feedback-pwees%21

:D

I've got models all set, and some bits here and there of texturing, and Unity; I can handle its... Unityness. What I want to know is how you got all of those props in your IVA view. Do I download them and place them individually, or is it defined by a transform? Also, windows. Windows, ah, windows. They scared me away from doing IVA's. ;.; Do you know how to window a make for inside ship look Kerbal perspekteev? :D

(Translation: Do you know how to maek veendoh?)

In Blender, my models look transparent from the inside, same with KSP, Unity and stuff. (Even though they are sorta the same thing, but KSP is an extension of Unity in the form of a game...) Do I just need to intrude in through a door, and kinda "carve out" and clear up the interior? I really wanna know.

If you've read this far, I love you. Nobody ever listens to me. Naten's an idiot. He's ranting about windows again. He's USELESS AND DUMB. Let's see how long it takes for him to notice that we're doing this.

I'm sure that's what they're doing. It makes me sad. Snjo, and maybe you, Desmond Tiny and BlazingAngel are the only ones that listen to me. I hope you do, it'd make my day. :)

On a similar hand to what I was saying until I self-flamed myself hard (;.;), do you know about what I need to do? Please walk me through doing these things, as well as making a payload bay. I can make animations, export .fbx's into Unity, make emissives, and stuff, but do I need Snjo's plugin for the door animation? Thanks so much. :)

Great day to you, good sir! :D

Cheers,

-Naten

Thanks for responding, Lord of the KSO Helldiver! :D

http://i.imgur.com/TPjsyAN.jpg

I was never good at landing, but I was able to land this thing. Ignore the HyperEdit window, I had it open in case the shuttle collided with my station(which happened the first time I tried to de-orbit). I wonder what the chances are of a shuttle de-orbiting from 550km and hitting a station at 100km.

Lol, too bad you don't have a video, I bet that was an epic collision! :D

http://i.imgur.com/TPjsyAN.jpg

I was never good at landing, but I was able to land this thing. Ignore the HyperEdit window, I had it open in case the shuttle collided with my station(which happened the first time I tried to de-orbit). I wonder what the chances are of a shuttle de-orbiting from 550km and hitting a station at 100km.

This is just gorgeous! Love how you deployed flaps on final!

Perfect, this is definitely going to be my new crew transport.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/54a3346e805cb00f0efa482f51a85181/tumblr_n0jpu9200r1tq6149o1_1280.png

She flies like a dream!

Quick experiment: I'm going to try, and rendezvous with my telescope in geosynch orbit. Let's see what she can really do*!

*without FAR

Future updates and phases will improve on the docking module, as well as add a better docking ring and frame that doesn't cut so much into the cargo bay.

Edited by helldiver

Looks good, can you show a screen with the actual connected port? What structure is that closest to the shuttle? Also nice screen with the chute Razorcane.

Oh ja! Here's a closer pic:

tumblr_n0jske0GFR1tq6149o1_1280.png

Pretty basic stuff, although there is a reason behind the corresponding Clam-o-Tron jr.:

tumblr_n0jske0GFR1tq6149o2_1280.png

Cargo, baby! Oh, yeah!

Edit: In my first post, that module on the right is my telescope service vehicle; the one on the left is my crew escape vessel.

Specs, that station looks so cool. What mod is that big module and the Orion looking capsule from?

Thanks!

The command pod's from here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/48867-WIP-Apollo-like-crew-module-(Updated-download-28-12-2013)

And the habitat is from:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43840-Hab-Hub-(and-other-strange-things)

Edited by specs

From what I've found (of course, I didn't exactly have the most efficient launch profile), she can get you up to an apoapsis of roughly geosynch, and a periapsis inside the atmosphere. You'll probably need to pack a little extra fuel.

I would love to add this to my mod folder. But since deadly reentry is also in there, ill have to wait for compatibility. A lot of users use that mod, so not supporting it will limit how many choose to enjoy this great looking addon. I sure hope the mod maker decides to make compatibility more of a priority. My gamedata folder needs a space shuttle. :D

I think that someoene mentioned it can survive deadly re-entry.

Indeed. I've used it with the default DRE settings with no issues. (Aside from RealChutes drag chutes burning off... that's a different issue.)

If you're using more aggressive DRE settings, try a rolling reentry where you roll left a few degrees then right a few degrees, repeat.... That spreads the heat around to different parts. (I've had to do this with stock spaceplanes, too, FWIW.)

Indeed. I've used it with the default DRE settings with no issues. (Aside from RealChutes drag chutes burning off... that's a different issue.)

If you're using more aggressive DRE settings, try a rolling reentry where you roll left a few degrees then right a few degrees, repeat.... That spreads the heat around to different parts. (I've had to do this with stock spaceplanes, too, FWIW.)

For DRE I have moded the the shielded ships to have high heat bleed off (because Ive set my DRE exponent to 1.12). Ill download this tonight and make the same changes. But I don't know if this actually has directional ablative shields set up, that I DONT know how to do.

I've tried rescaling the shuttle with some success. I wanted it to fit large sized parts.

http://imgur.com/a/IPFmR

I've changed the rescale factor on each part to 1.5, and then doubled every value (amount of fuel, mass, thrust, etc.).

The real work came in changing all the attach nodes, but again, multiplying most of the values by 1.5 did the trick (had a hell of a time with the nose gear as the correct value changed in the opposite direction as expected).

Anywho, I got all the parts fitting together and got the shuttle to work just fine, except for one thing...When you reload a save, or even revert to launch, the command module, the crewed part of the shuttle, it shrinks back to the regular size. I don't understand why it does that or how to fix it, nor do I understand why only that part does this resizing and nothing else...

I've made some modifications as well. I have previously made an upscaled version of the closable aerodynamic docking adapter, and used that on the nose of the shuttle (rather than doing those off-axis dockings). I've also added these ports to the top and bottom of the external tank, along with probe parts, batteries, etc., so that the ETs can be used in orbit perhaps as wet workshops.

But doing so caused a problem. I found that if I attach something to the bottom of the ET, it changes the function of the External tank's "decouple" mechanism. Now instead of decoupling from the orbiter, it decouples the docking port off the bottom of the tank. Then it's impossible to seperate the tank from the orbiter.

I also added a decoupling mechanism to the command pod section of the orbiter, so that I could strap on some rockets and abort and just seperate the crew cabin (and added parachutes to it). I found that when I hit abort, it actually wouldn't sever the external tank from the command pod (because of aforementioned problem). So this added decoupling module I added to the part file may contribute to these issues.

I also have found it very difficult to fly the orbiter coming back. my strategy of multiplying values by 1.5 doesn't seem to have worked when it came to the flight characteristics of the shuttle.What should I be doing to the drag coeff and the deflectionliftcoeff? I left drag alone and multiplied the deflectionliftcoeff, but that doesn't seem to have worked. (shuttle flips around and wants to fly backwards). Also I don't have FAR or any other mods installed except for the inflatable parts and some rescaled stock parts I've made myself.

Anyway. If anyone knows how to better upscale the shuttle, let me know what I'm doing wrong.

For DRE I have moded the the shielded ships to have high heat bleed off (because Ive set my DRE exponent to 1.12). Ill download this tonight and make the same changes. But I don't know if this actually has directional ablative shields set up, that I DONT know how to do.

I made a new cfg to test the modules with ablative shields.

If you use Deadly Reentry please test this out!

http://www./download/ut7iuhlif5wd59m/DRE_KSO_Ablative_shield_testing.zip