[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Can someone tell me which of the included mod makes a blue FOV appears on every docking port in the VAB, and how to remove this feature?...

It is down to the example config files included, if you remove the [KSP]/GameData/JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Example directory it removes it from all docking ports by default

Tell me when you are done with the flaps :D

I'd love a fully functioning FAR version (nice job!)

Flaps are working: http://cl.ly/code/3f2Q2b1n1j1k

Still no shielding cargo bay. Might need to talk with Ferram about it, as I'm out of ideas.

Also, to use the flaps you need to use FAR's controls, and not simply the "Toggle Flaps" option. Toggle flaps just makes it look pretty, but does nothing to the aerodynamics. I came in on an approach to uneven ground, had to dodge a large crest, and came down in one piece, if not a bit hard. I think I was at ~12-15 m/s sink rate and everything held. Hit a bump that clipped a wing, and an unplanned disassembly followed. Eh, the point is it flies nice.

You still can't glide all over the place, but it should give you some nice fudge room. The landing zone in the OP should still be about right. Try around ~100-120 m/s maneuver from a 80km orbit and you will probably be in the ballpark.

Hey thanks for the effort with that, I didn't get around to messing with it last night. We'll have a section for additional support configs like this to make it easier to find them and use them after downloading the kso.

Hey thanks for the effort with that, I didn't get around to messing with it last night. We'll have a section for additional support configs like this to make it easier to find them and use them after downloading the kso.

You're welcome. :) Mostly I just wanted it to work properly for myself, so I figured I'd share whatever I could get together. The numbers are as close as I can guess, so if you've got better ones or want to tweak the playability, please do!

Still no shielding cargo bay. Might need to talk with Ferram about it, as I'm out of ideas.

Also, to use the flaps you need to use FAR's controls, and not simply the "Toggle Flaps" option. Toggle flaps just makes it look pretty, but does nothing to the aerodynamics. I came in on an approach to uneven ground, had to dodge a large crest, and came down in one piece, if not a bit hard. I think I was at ~12-15 m/s sink rate and everything held. Hit a bump that clipped a wing, and an unplanned disassembly followed. Eh, the point is it flies nice.

You still can't glide all over the place, but it should give you some nice fudge room. The landing zone in the OP should still be about right. Try around ~100-120 m/s maneuver from a 80km orbit and you will probably be in the ballpark.

This guy uses the firespitter plugin to animate a compartment, and shield them in FAR. Might be worth looking at for example.

@ helldiver and Nazari:

RrXK8HY.png

I love this shuttle. I tried my hand at putting my own name on the side. It's pretty easy for those interested. A little google and some use with GIMP and it was over in a few minutes. I might even add some color at another time. Keep up the great work guys!

Thanks!

(have you looked at B9's way of seeing if it is a cargo bay?)

@ helldiver and Nazari:

http://i.imgur.com/RrXK8HY.png

I love this shuttle. I tried my hand at putting my own name on the side. It's pretty easy for those interested. A little google and some use with GIMP and it was over in a few minutes. I might even add some color at another time. Keep up the great work guys!

Perfect name patch. I was planning on doing this once I had unlocked it in my career save!

@ helldiver and Nazari:

http://i.imgur.com/RrXK8HY.png

You know what would be cool? Some FlagDecal support :)

Orian, i find that using the 3x OMS configuration is stable if you balance the thrust of the engines. I set the bottom one to 94 and the other 2 at 47 (i can set the bottom one at a 100 but the top 2 ones cant be set at 50 btw) it proves very stable but may nudge the nose down abit.

Also, helldiver and nazari, THIS SHUTTLE IS AMAZING. It has everything i could hope for from a shuttle. Thanks for creating this awesome mod!

Edited by gooddog15
Potato

The OMS engines are very hard to use, they make the shuttle flip upon use.

The issue is caused by starting them with an action group, dtobi has been looking into it. If you trigger the OMS by staging, they should be responding to pitch control. I have a new version of the DLL in my install that has fixed this problem for the OMS. So if you use 2 OMS engines, start them by staging for now.

She held together just fine through the first bounce. Well, I say held together, I mean only one of the gears tore off...

Reentry was picture perfect!

DQbOiOt.png

The OMS engines are very hard to use, they make the shuttle flip upon use.

They're not, could be one of several issues.

-Did you have the EFT attached?

-Is pitch trim enabled?

I haven't had issues so long as you start them using staging or turning them on/off by hand. If you put them in action groups it will mess with the pitch trim plugin. Don't use the OMS if you have the EFT attached.

I tried reentry with the latest version and DealdyReentry and everything was going perfectly until my landing gear blew up :D This is fantastic mod nonetheless - with this and frizzank mods one can recreate (almost) whole USA space program!

@ helldiver and Nazari:

-snip-

Maybe you could make some tutorial for those less gifted in computer magic artsy things? :)

My suggestion for this mod would be to create an "all-inclusive" folder within the GameData folder instead of everything being scattered. Many users, including myself, like to add and remove mods and the current nature of the folder structure makes it extremely difficult to keep track of the contents.

This guy uses the firespitter plugin to animate a compartment, and shield them in FAR. Might be worth looking at for example.

Hrm, I should have thought about that one. I think it has something to do with FAR's drag model getting applied, as in the logs the part has no drag model at all. :huh: It might just need someone to define a drag model within the cfg for it and all might be fine.

@Boamere the B9 cargo bays were what I compared it to. They use Firespitter for the animations and end up shielding with FAR, just like the mod in the quote. That's why I've been scratching my head. My guess is that FAR assumes only two nodes (stack top, stack bottom) or at least everything inline, and this cargo bay has two stack nodes, one internal node for payload/airlock, and two side nodes for wing attachments. It might just be confusing the crap out of FAR.

RE: OMS engines. I've found if you set the pitch trim on those to 10, it flies straight almost without any input. Now if only MechJeb could take the hint and place the nose 10 degrees off the maneuver node...