[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

MAN its been like a century and a half untill this finally released. dont you think you might spent TOO much time on it? i mean, i would have excepted something much less bug free than this but i guess its worth the wait.

wow, man. Just wow.

Well since people say that this works with DRE, im installing it. Will give feedback on how it manages. I use the standard DRE, not the aggressive.. Thanks for the responses. :cool:

It's been working fine for me with DRE, without loading any of the DRE configs people are posting. I'm assuming that the people who are burning up are making steep diving reentries instead of shallow, gentle ones or something.

Just take it easy and you should be fine.

Has anyone else had the issue with the main external tank not fully separating from the shuttle? It's like the tank is caught on something, when I try to RCS away it's like it's still attached as a point to the rear and I get stuck in a spin.

I've tried rescaling the shuttle with some success. I wanted it to fit large sized parts.

http://imgur.com/a/IPFmR

I've changed the rescale factor on each part to 1.5, and then doubled every value (amount of fuel, mass, thrust, etc.).

Anyway. If anyone knows how to better upscale the shuttle, let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Could you perchance upload it here so I can play with it too? This sounds sort of similar to problems I remember reading about...

Would it be possible to allow texture changing to allow use of different names through the same save? Firespitter allows changes of texture on the same part, but I am not sure how.

This is something I want in later phases actually. It was talked about in our old thread.

Definitely something for the future.

Yes, action groups. Is that bad?

There is a bug currently with the plugin handling pitch trim in that if you Start or Shut Off engines with an action group it disables the plugin. Turn On using Staging and shut off by right clicking them. Naz has already contacted the plugin author and they're aware of the issue. This bug was posted in the OP.

Has anyone else had the issue with the main external tank not fully separating from the shuttle? It's like the tank is caught on something, when I try to RCS away it's like it's still attached as a point to the rear and I get stuck in a spin.

I just had this happen to me when I attached the docking port adapter thing with battery to the top (cockpit) side of the cargo bay, that node showing thru was actually the node for the tank attachment and stuck it to the tank, causing what you described to happen to me. The only reason I found it was I (violently) shook the ship using my RCS and it broke loose.

Would it be possible to allow texture changing to allow use of different names through the same save? Firespitter allows changes of texture on the same part, but I am not sure how.

An update on that now that I understand the plugin better:

The good news is that it's possible....

The bad news is that it won't be likely any time soon until after Squad updates KSP's memory management system. As it is right now it would load all five alternate textures in one go. That's a big no no for most people since it means five copies of a large texture file. Additionally there are other issues regarding internal naming of texture references and how they were done, otherwise the plugin won't find the textures.

So that ability is off the table for the time being and it will be my final word on that for now.

[Edit]

If there is enough demand for alternate shuttle names, later on I could ask Nazari to spit out several KSO Cockpits with variant names. Users who wish to have the additional cockpits in their VAB/SPH will be able to download them individually.

Edited by helldiver

Sorry, Nazari, helldiver... those boosters being liquid really bugged me. So I "fixed" them, at least for my use. ;) I scaled their thrust and fuel so I have just enough to reach my Station Orbit (130km), making ascent profile a bit more important. Might just work this thing into my main save yet.

Here's my STS-3 test launch at Mach 1, around 9 or 10km above KSC.

20140215_ksp0024_sts3.jpg

The bad news is that it won't be likely any time soon until after Squad updates KSP's memory management system. As it is right now it would load all five alternate textures in one go. That's a big no no for most people since it means five copies of a large texture file.

Or, you could make the nameplate itself a separate part, so that instead of changing the texture of the entire cockpit you only have to change the texture on nameplate.....

You sir are a genius and have earned an extra juice box!

It's an idea that's been floating around for awhile. In the past I tried to make a small flat model to use as such on other craft, but that wouldn't work here since the KSO is curved. Since helldiver has the geometry/model for the KSO, he could "cut out" the part of the craft where the name is and have that added as a part. Now getting it to line up right is a different issue... the base texture might need a "spotting" target so you know where to stick it.

Just an idea. (That I think has been mentioned before in this or the dev thread....)

Or, you could make the nameplate itself a separate part, so that instead of changing the texture of the entire cockpit you only have to change the texture on nameplate.....

Nope, that's a huge no. I'm not making things look fugly for the sake of a name. Download the blank one if you don't like the available names. To get more technical; it's not on a location that would make that simple and look streamlined, it would clip, or you'd have co-planar flickering as your video card fights with it, or the object would have to "float" over the mesh.

Steering while taxing

For those that are having steering issues, don't forget to enable steering in an action group (right clicking the front nose gear in the VAB/SPH) or on the actual nose gear itself. Should help those folks having issues after landing on the runway.

Edited by helldiver

Nope, that's a huge no. I'm not making things look fugly for the sake of a name. Download the blank one if you don't like the available names. To get more technical; it's not on a location that would make that simple and look streamlined, it would clip, or you'd have co-planar flickering as your video card fights with it, or the object would have to "float" over the mesh.

OK. It's your mod, afterall. I'll just go make my own nameplate.

Yep, you can also adjust the steering sensitivity:

H9UDh3g.png

About texture swapping: no point in multiple models, they could share models. I think it's a bad idea to do anything besides swapping the old texture for a new one at this point. It would look horrible to do something based on new or cut-out geometry, especially since the ladder is basically right on the name.

The boosters will have less ISP in the next version of the mod. They're kind of like training wheels atm.

Helldiver, I just wanted to say thanks for sticking it out and pushing this mod out. I have been here from the start (post #2, original thread) and it has been well worth the wait.

Great Job... This must be one of the most anticipated mods there have been and again, it was well worth the wait.

Congratulation, and looking forward to whatever comes next....

It would look horrible to do something based on new or cut-out geometry, especially since the ladder is basically right on the name.

Valid point. Though after a quick test using the flag decals the ladder poking through didn't look /too/ terribly bad, but did look odd. I just find it horribly inefficient to copy 17MBs of on-disk textures should I want to have multiple, named, versions of the KSO. But I see your point.

Just wanted to let you know that I have a video featuring this mod in the works (incidentally, also my first cinematic). Regarding the texture swapping, I took a look at the texture and I saw that you had the whole shuttle in 1 file. Now I wondered, can't you have the cockpit in a separate texture and have the names next to it? Like this: (amazing Gimp skills incoming)

amazingtexture.png

Not sure if this is possible, as the textures are probably baked.