[0.90] Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System v4.13

helldiver

Any thoughts on an interplanetary cockpit design similar to the KSO? May need a large round habitat that simulates gravity (similar to "Mission to Mars") which would be larger than a cargo bay. From what I've seen, you're models are blowing away anything that I've seen.

Any thoughts on an interplanetary cockpit design similar to the KSO? May need a large round habitat that simulates gravity (similar to "Mission to Mars") which would be larger than a cargo bay. From what I've seen, you're models are blowing away anything that I've seen.

My thoughts exactly. I've been tinkering with an interplanetary craft using mostly KSO parts, all that's lacking is a good cockpit :P.

oh! on another note how the heck do you get the docking camera's to work. i can see the docking camera option in the tender but it always comes up as "NO SIGNAL"

In the RPM MFD, you need to set your Reference Part (under Target if memory serves) to the docking port that you'd like to use. It's the equivalent for "Control from here" for RPM. Once that's set, the docking camera should automagically start working.

Edit: If at any point you leave the IVA view, you'll need to set the reference part again when you come back in. For some reason it isn't persistent.

Thanks, I'll watch them soon. Once I'm lined up with the runway, it's not too hard - my problem is getting to that point from orbit. I usually either overshoot or come up very short (many km). I am getting better but it's more luck than practice.

What do you mean by "flare up"? I've heard this term before but have no idea what it means or how to do it.

A Flare during landing is performed right before touchdown. The aircraft pulls back (nose up) to slow the decent rate. This way, the pilot controls how hard they come down on the landing gear while putting the nose at the right angle to avoid ripping the tail of the plane off. .

It's basically just pulling up before you hit the runway so you touchdown softly. Analogous to slowing a Lander to under 5m/s before you hit the ground while making sure you touchdown flat to the slope of the hill you're coming down on. Except an aircraft, you want the nose up a little to contact the rear wheels but not too high and hit the rear of the aircraft on the ground. This is why a boresite or waterline indicator would be nice on the hud (one can wish). If you have the ADI open and in IVA, there's a static icon that looks like wings with a dot in the center (it's also the center icon on the NavBall). This icon displays what angle your nose is pointing independent of the velocity vector.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_flare

Edited by SaSquatch

Honestly the Super-25 is what I'm waiting for. The standard KSO is great, but all my stations use 2.5m parts, so it's limited to being little more than a crew transport right now.

I'm hoping someone can offer me some help. For the life of me I can't work out what I'm doing wrong. For some reason I cannot dock the SST to anything else using the forward docking port. The rear docking port works brilliantly as shown, but the forward port will not dock at all. Once lined up I turn off RCS and MJ docking autopilot and just drift towards the station port at between 0.1 to 0.5m/s. When close enough the rear port magnetism will attract the ports together and dock. But the forward port has no magnetism, the parts bump into each other then just drift away without docking.

I'm sure I'm just doing something stoopid, but can't work out what it is.

Ymr0bOG.png?1

You did put it on the right way around correct?? Haven't had any problems with failure of these to dock.....

Possible collider issues? I use mechjeb so it always lines up perfectly.....

Edited by Railgunner2160

You did put it on the right way around correct?? Haven't had any problems with failure of these to dock.....

Possible collider issues? I use mechjeb so it always lines up perfectly.....

I guess I put the docking port on correctly, facing the right way. Here's another shot.

JLl5EO5.png?1

I always us MJ to line up with the centreline of the target port and then turn it and RCS off at about 1m separation, turn on SAS, drift towards the target port and let the port magnetism take over for the final docking.

What could cause collider issues and can I do anything about them?

No idea, I'm not a mod expert. I'm just tossing thoughts out. I built a station out of them and had no problems, have you tried docking the front round port to the octoganal ones???

Might've just been a momentary thing, did you back off and try again before docking the aft port??

Edited by Railgunner2160

I've seen issues before where KSP itself will sometimes just refuse to use a docking port (both stock parts or mod parts).

I have no idea why it happens. Sometimes a quicksave/quickload fixes it. Sometimes you have to relaunch the vessel. And finally sometimes you need to go into the VAB, delete the offending docking port and re-add it.

I've been having SST problems with docking too. Twice now I've had the docking ports "jam" while docked to my station and prevent me from undocking. I had no luck editing the save file to undock them so I deorbited my first tug and now my second one has the same problem :(

I've been having SST problems with docking too. Twice now I've had the docking ports "jam" while docked to my station and prevent me from undocking. I had no luck editing the save file to undock them so I deorbited my first tug and now my second one has the same problem :(

This is a bug in KSP as well that seems to crop up randomly. Hopefully the devs will fix it someday.

Have you try'ed goto space center and back to craft ? when, I get to where, I can't pick a docking port , I goto space center and back to craft and it works for abit.

I've had this happen on a couple of different ships. It's a KSP bug. Seems like there might be a fix you can manage but it's rather complicated... and then I stopped reading it. I dock my KSOs to a "docking collar" that has ports on both sides, so I just had to do a reentry with that thing sticking out the top (it's a pretty small thing that I use but still). But I lost one ship to it because I couldn't be bothered.

What a wonderful landing to.. roll of the runway going 50 m/s. The wheel brakes aren't very powerful, are they? I managed to set down on it just fine, but too late apparently.

In the good news, I think I've gotten the hang of flying the KSO with FAR. Managed to land on the flat land around KSC four times now without anyone getting hurt.

Edited by ayana

think i might have found my issue with the orbiter MFD's, seems whenever i attach the KSO flight computer or a mechjeb module or any parts that contain mechjeb, the cockpit of the KSO shuttle lost functionality. meaning that if the KSO has built in mechjeb elements like the avionics package...im unable to use them. it appears through testing as we speak, any flight assist added disables cockpit functions D:

So now that I can fly this brick with wings up to a space station and bring it back down safely, what do I do?

TAC Life Support lets you do supply missions. Final Frontier mod tracks mission time for each Kerbal so crew transfers have more meaning (my Jeb has over 1500 days of space flight... 800 day mission on a MunBase Science Lab). Interstellar Mod lets you take up a Science Lab that creates science daily but requires power and resources of it's own. My station has been setup as a science station but I've been refitting it for Anti-matter storage, along with the Phase 2 modules. The last Interstellar tech tree entry requires 10k science and that lab is only doing .148/day in kerbin orbit.

And of course... Keep building that station.

My first Phase II video! I'm starting a long series on colonizing Laythe, with the goal being a new launching base for the KSO to conquer the Joolian system!

The first video in the series!

The 37th of my STS KSO Shuttle Missions and first flight of Phase II! STS 137's objective is to deploy the Laythe Ore Discovery Module on the KSO Space Station and return to the KSC Runway. The Laythe Ore Discovery Probe will map Laythe's ore deposits.

The deployment missions run STS 137 & STS 138.

Most of the footage is shown in 8x speed for quick viewing.

STS 138 will deploy the Ore Discovery Propulsion Module!