Okay, so now what…

…do people recommend?

I am quite new to this (I only started at the time 023 came out). I have maxed out the technology tree and yet I feel I have only just scratched the surface of the game I am thinking I should restart using Remote Tech but was wondering if there should be anything else I could be doing as well.

What I have done:

- almost nothing outside the SOI of Kerbin. All I have managed is a successful unmanned close flyby of Duna and Ike; an unsuccessful (I didn’t get it home) flyby of Moho; a rescue of Jebediah who ran out of fuel in a solar orbit and I am in the process of attempting a similar rescue of Bill who did a close fly by of Kerbol before running out of fuel.

- I have a space station including a Science Lab in orbit around the Mun, but found that shuttling experiments to it took more time and fuel and created less science than sending them back to Kerbin.

- I had Jedediah drive a rover from the Farside Crater deep into the Canyon to the north to plant a flag, a distance as the crow flies of 25km each way, but given the route I had to take the journey was more like 150-200km in total.

- I have a Science Lab built into a rover that drove from the Farside Crater to the Canyons biome to the north passing through two other biomes on the way. It did science but I can do better with landers that I get back to Kerbin, and anyway I am maxed out on the tech tree with several 000’s science unused.

So what do you experts recommend, given that:

- I don’t have the skills of a Scott Manley so deadly re-entry is not high on my list

- I dislike making rovers - attaching the wheels is such a pain.

By the way - what is the use of the girders? They seem to be of fixed length and don't seem to want to attach to anything in any sensible way - as far as I can see that is.

Many thanks

Edited by THobson

Things you could try (ordered by difficulty). Meaning, go there and return.

- Gilly

- Ike

- Duna

- Jool system - Vall, Pol, Bop

- Dres

- Eeloo

- Moho

- Laythe

- Tylo

- Eve

If you don't require return, the difficulty order is different:

- Eve

- Duna

- Gilly

- Ike

- Laythe

- Vall, Pol, Bop

- Dres

- Eeloo

- Moho

- Tylo

My space program for quite some time was to plant flags on all poles (north/south) of all bodies. I found it fun as I was able to add bodies by difficulty.

Mods ... Some make things harder if you think the game is not challenging enough (deadly reentry, FAR). Some make things easier if the game is too hard for you (MechJeb). Some provide technical info if you're into it. And some provide just more parts to build rockets of. Some of them overpowered. Whatever will make the game fun for you is ok.

Congratulations for maxing out the tech tree. Now you have all the basics for placing probes or Kerbals on any of the planets, except Jool, in the Kerbal System. Next step, build space stations and establish colonies.

Try some of the parts mods as well. Or, using a copy of the game, try flying in Alternate Kerbal.

Enjoy

Well, you could do like I'm doing - satellites in orbit of everything in the system, then rovers, then space stations. Then design a spaceplane that can go to any of the stations and get back. There really aren't any limitations as to what you could do - just to what you'd like to do.

Girders - One of the most versatile parts in the entire game, IMHO. They allow fuel flow so in the early career game they can sub for Tail Connectors or BZ-52s if you need to attach extra engines to them. They can widen the base of a lander fairly easily (= harder to tip over when you land). They have high impact tolerance, so building a rover chassis with them makes a lot of sense (especially if you combine them with structural panels). Then there's I-beams - attach lander legs to I-beams at the right angle and you can fit any engine underneath a lander (and by any, I mean NERVAs).

...satellites in orbit of everything in the system, then rovers, then space stations. Then design a spaceplane that can go to any of the stations and get back....

What, no bases on each body? Have you no ambition! [i am joking, of course]

@OP: - and apart from 'just' doing that lot; do it with the smallest craft you can, using the fewest parts. Beat 20% payload ratio with rockets, 40% with jet-assists/spaceplanes. Complete missions with as few launches as possible.

... *whisper* Look at what Whackjob does

And then there's all those mods to start trying. Personally, I'm trying to optimise a set of rocket-only lifters, then I'll do the same with jets/spaceplanes, then I'll start playing around with RT, KAS, IR and the like. Unless something else distracts me. Oh, and there's still 7 games days until the next Duna transfer window. But since a friend asked I've just made 4 mun-landing-and-return vehicles, i) "Long Tom" ('looks' like a rocket, robust but not particularly efficient), ii) "Fat Sally" (asparagus-staged launcher and integrated transfer/lander replacement for Long Tom. All but halves the start mass), iii) "A" (optimised asparagus-staged across whole mission), iv) [Prototype] "Challenge" (optimised without asparagus staging).

As you will see, there is plenty to do that doesn't need 'science' for inspiration.

Edited by Pecan

I'm a big fan of the Kethane mod. It's the only thing that's kept me going after these hundreds of hours. :) It gives you a reason to send satellites, rovers, landers, and enormous mining rigs on other planets and moons. Don't neglect the spaceplanes, later on. They're a lot more fun than they look. :)

Thank you for all your replies. They are very helpful but please don’t over estimate how much I know about the game and its possible add-ons. I like the idea of more bits, so if there are sensible add-ons that would give me that I would be interested, also more science.

I am not really planning to do much more with the game in its current state. I have just been using it as a way of learning about the game and I now plan to restart the whole thing from scratch with Remote Tech, life support and possibly Deadly Re-entry and any other useful add-ons you might suggest.

Add-ons I currently have are:

Toolbar

Clouds (not night lights)

Engineer

Haystack

MechJeb

Protractor

Ship Manifest

Alarm Clock

I think I will start using the resource balancer at least until Ship Manifest is fixed

Basically I want the intellectual challenge of getting a space programme working with problems of life support, telecommunications and seeking more science, I am not really interested in the hand-eye coordination challenge of docking, landing etc.

I am very interested in setting up bases on other bodies. Is it possible to create connected buildings?

Thanks again for your help

Remote Tech, life support and possibly Deadly Re-entry

This should keep you busy for a while. :D

Is it possible to create connected buildings?

Take a look at KAS, you can link different things with fuel pipes, the become one craft in the process, sharing power and control etc.

Else you enter the hell of docking while on the ground, with parts having different heights depending on weight of the structure and suspension of the landing legs/wheels. :wink:

So, you want to reach planets to make bases there? This shameless plug tells you the Delta V you need for each body and has a link to an image that you will find very useful alongside the calculations that have already been done. In terms of bases, you should really use Kerbal Attachment System if you don't want the hassle of using docking ports. You don't seem to be overly fussed by it being only stock and the use of mods seems to be fine to you. Good for you, I wish I thought like that, instead I MUST do things stock whether the mod is balanced or not. In such a case, I'd recommend Kerbal Alarm Clock and Kerbal Engineer for information display. I don't recommend Mechjeb, as I used it and it makes the game less enjoyable, but am not opposed to those who do use it. It would be acceptable in these circumstances, of course, since you don't know how to reach other planets. If you want to make the game a more realistic challenge (as you do by the looks of things), then this mod may be for you (it does Mechjeb, however).

Or You can start playing with just normal aeroplanes. See how far/how fast You can make them. Kerbin has many beautiful places You don't normally see at all especially on southern continents...

Or install ISP MapSat and go plant a flag at every ester egg in the system (that's a fun thing to do). That'll take a while.

What's wrong with ship manifest?

There is a slider that allows you to specify how much fuel etc. is to be transferred between two tanks. It ignores the setting and just transfers as much as it can.

Edited by THobson

So, you want to reach planets to make bases there? This shameless plug tells you the Delta V you need for each body and has a link to an image that you will find very useful alongside the calculations that have already been done. In terms of bases, you should really use Kerbal Attachment System if you don't want the hassle of using docking ports. You don't seem to be overly fussed by it being only stock and the use of mods seems to be fine to you. Good for you, I wish I thought like that, instead I MUST do things stock whether the mod is balanced or not. In such a case, I'd recommend Kerbal Alarm Clock and Kerbal Engineer for information display. I don't recommend Mechjeb, as I used it and it makes the game less enjoyable, but am not opposed to those who do use it. It would be acceptable in these circumstances, of course, since you don't know how to reach other planets. If you want to make the game a more realistic challenge (as you do by the looks of things), then this mod may be for you (it does Mechjeb, however).

Very helpful. Thank you

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.