Stock anti gravity device.

So in my warp drive attempts I've managed to make an anti gravity device. It is vaguely controllable and can hover off the launch pad.

If you get it to space you can see its infinite acceleration potential as well.

Press G to turn the device on and off. This usually breaks it however. :P Also keep SAS on as it likes to flip around.

Craft: https://www.dropbox.com/s/myd9w0yq8mfsac8/Warp%20Test%203.craft

4STijD3.png

Holy boop I made it almost above the tower! Awesome!

Rune. It's kind of controllable, too.

Various edits later: a couple of reaction wheels more, and its VERY controllable. I'm currently >400m up, and ascending at about 0.5m/s sustained (lots of corrections to not pick up excessive lateral drift, it's barely T/W>1). It is a true quantum reactionless drive. I'm totally using it in nacelles:

aSDVjoD.png

Edited by Rune

Not powerful enough yet. However judging by my experiments I think that it may be more powerful on larger ships, as it seems to work better with a bigger mass gradient between the two sections...

It is clearly using the cashimir effect you get when putting two plates very close together. Obviously things having much more density on the kerbal universe this worksat T/W>1. So you have just recreated without mods a Mach Effect Drive.

But jokes aside, yeah, it seems to me it is the length of the gap you create, and it's alignment, what determines the amount and the direction of the force. So more legs shouldn't have worked, at most they will make it sit more stable on the center. You found a way to harness phantom forces, however. That deserves serious kudos. It is Egg-class bug engineering, I wouldn't be surprised if Scott picked it up and showed it someday. I myself will do orbital testing of the effect to see if acceleration is constant regardless of situation. Also, it will be easier to measure it.

Rune. Quick! Someone call illectro!

Edited by Rune

wait, how does this work?

I did a deal with the Kraken for it. ;)

How it actually works, not a clue but the general consensus is its something to do with the pieces being forced apart and the game trying to bring them back together. Very similar to the Kraken that destroys ships but slightly more controlled.

That is wicked! Have you seen the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Egg? It's a cage of struts, and when you put a kerbal inside on a ladder, the thing just takes off. This is looking like a bigger and more controllable version :cool:

Wait till you see the ship I'm coming up with built around it. It even has a sci-fi prototype vibe about it... and I plan on putting it on solar escape, then bring back. To prove the technology is sound for bigger projects :D. So very, very controllable! Not apt for kerbin launch, though. As to how it works, yeah, that's also my best guess. The space created between parts messes up something with the way the game calculates distance, and it creates phantom forces... which is the origin of the bug also known as kraken, soo...

Rune. It IS correct to say it's powered by karkens.

With some experimentation it seams that the mass of the vessel is not a limiting factor. I hooked up your center rod in 4x symmetry and then put fuel and rockets under them and it had no problems. I am wondering what it does if it was stationary or hovering above one sphere of influence when it encountered another like the Mun.

One day, someone will make a working engine with flight panels, and landing gear.

SSI is already on it.

...you know this kind of thread could lead to arguments in favor of keeping kracken-force (k-force?) in the released game...

Edited by inigma

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.