[WIP - 0.25] Squad HD Re-texture Project - Continuous Release (July 25)

blackheart612

Remember we aren't done with Phase I yet so we continue with engines for now :)

https://i.imgur.com/Eljghg7.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/p2Og6JT.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/cTEQfDy.png

If you continue doing this, you'll end up out-KW'ing KW Rocketry! That is an awesome retexture.

I'm still hoping for a Firespittere'd version, though, as even though your textures are really amazing, I still like the stock style.

added April 1 bonus to OP

You dick..

Anyway, here's something you may not have thought of - the engine fairings. When I had my KX2 up and flying, it looked quite odd to have the clean white of the KW fuel tanks next to the dirty grey of the Poodle fairings.. Is it doable?

Oh, and your beautiful textures survived the move to 0.23.5 :)

You dick..

:P

Anyway, here's something you may not have thought of - the engine fairings. When I had my KX2 up and flying, it looked quite odd to have the clean white of the KW fuel tanks next to the dirty grey of the Poodle fairings.. Is it doable?

Yes, it's later in the development, after I finish all the engines, then I continue with the fairings.

Oh, and your beautiful textures survived the move to 0.23.5 :)

GG :D

Glad to hear fairings will be changed too!

Another thing: have you considered Module Manager support? Instead of overwriting the files, you could make a config that directs to your textures, leaving the stock textures untouched.

Something like:

@PART[liquidEngine1-2]:Final
{
@model = your textures folder location (something like blackheart/Engines/liquidEngine1-2)
}

Yae or nay? (or whatever it uses to get the texture, might not be the model bit.. could be mesh.. you're doing them, you probably know more than me)

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Nay, mm support will be for FSTexture Switcher. Most prolly, it will be texture replacer that will make the loading of the textures in the future (it has compressing, right?). Also, does it really load faster than the game or the game's files still load? Never really tested it. Cause I might consider that if the games files don't load.

Hmmm, I guess not... this is a fairly easy to manipulate mod (I have been working on cfgs on some of my mods) and it requires very minor editing. But if you (or anybody) want, you could check if the model{} hook only loads those in it and not the original ones. Im terribly lazy on making these tests and I don't really know if it loads them or not. :)

Nope, *all* files* in GameData, unless they are in or under a PluginData folder, are loaded, irrespective of whether they are ever "used" by anything. This is because, as of .20, when a cfg includes a reference to a file (like model = blah/blah/foo) that doesn't mean "load this file"; instead it means "look up this URL in the database of loaded files."

*by which I mean: jpg, tga, png, mbm, mu, wav, ogg, cfg, and probably even more.

Of course luckily if you are missing a file it was looking for it thankfully skips right over it without caring, which is nice for texture replacement mods if you want specific parts to remain the way they were. It is MUCH easier to delete the replacing texture than it is to find the line in the config. Which is not hard either, just tedious sometimes.

But Texture Replacer replaces it and does not let the game load am I right? Or I really should use Active Texture Management?

Texture Replacer doesn't work for textures found in the GameData folder, AFAIK.

v1.3.2 released.

It's now possible to replace textures from GameData. To replace them, just put them into `Default/` directory under the same directory hierarchy as the original texture is in `GameData/`. E.g. to replace Mk1-2Pod's texture, which is in "Squad/Parts/Command/Mk1-2Pod/model000", put a new texture in "GameData/TextureReplacer/Default/Squad/Parts/Command/Mk1-2Pod/model000.png".

As a consequence of this new feature, it's not possible to have replacement textures in `Default/` inside arbitrary subdirectories any more.

Not Anymore :D

Well, it'll be easy to check but I'm lazy. Hehe :D

I will update for 0.23.5 later on. Until all my mods are updated to it.

For now, I work with 0.23

One thing I realized: NASA Mission Pack Uses 1024*1024 which is pretty cool.

Made me mess around it a little bit and... well, made something roughly the same, but KW-y just a test of the new pack though, not a release texture.

H79jCrk.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.