Lagrange points

KvickFlygarn87

What are they? If I understand correct from threads in the suggestion forum, they're like SoI's with no natural body in them. Is that right? Since it surely isn't, please explain further.

FYI, I'm an 8th grader, but I'm definitely best at space stuff in my class. I have a decent understanding of orbital mechanics.

Go!

P.S. You're writing an explanation, not a scientific paper ;-)

Hate to be the one to say it but there's a really good resource on lagrange points.

They don't work in patched conic systems such as what KSP uses, and no, they are not just SoI's with no body in them.

These threads often devolve and always tread the same old ground, so I'll just direct you all to this thread.

They're hard to explain without resorting to some scientific explanations, but I find whenever I need to wrap my brain around something and don't have the technical or mathematical background to understand the specifics, that a trip to Simplified Wikipedia is in order. Here's the Simplified Wikipedia entry on Lagrange Points.

They explain it far better (and simpler) than I personally could.

Right, I came from Principia and already checked the good ol' trustworthy 'pedia, only to find non-understandable explanations.

Did you check out my link? If all else fails, stare at that animated gif imagining what would happen to ball bearings you placed in various places, and why they'd last longer if you placed them on the Lagrange points.

Just saw that, you ninja. Simplepedia didn't explain what thry are, except for

"A Lagrange point is a special type of place where the gravity is stable. This is used with two objects in space where the smaller object orbits around the bigger one, like the sun and Earth, or the Earth and the moon."

Which is not very informative.

Think about a point in space between Earth and Moon (yes, mOOn), on wich the pull from the Moon equals the one from the Earth, but opposed to it.

The result is that if you can stop here, you will remain here.

Well, is not that simple, because if you move by a little, you will leave that point. But is possible to orbit around them, although these orbit are not very stable.

Sorry but I can't explain that further...

L1, L2, and L3 are points where a small object can have the same orbital period as a moon, even though they have different orbital radii. In KSP, this is impossible as a different radius means a faster absolute velocity and slower angular velocity.

L4 and L5 are areas where a small object can share the same orbit as a moon without being accelerated to meet it. In KSP, this is anywhere on the orbit outside the moon's SOI.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.