[0.25] Time Control - 9/23/14 v13.2

Xaiier

I can't seeeeeee iiiiiiit!

Also, I made an alternative toolbar icon just for fun:

Qv1z8Aq.png

active.png

inactive.png

Whoops, imgur derped. Fix'd.

I love those toolbar icons! (I admit mine was tossed together rather sketchily) The only thing I might change is flattening the top/bottom instead of rounded corners. It would be super easy to add a menu to select different icon options.

Is it bad that I keep hitting refresh every 10 minutes to see if it's posted yet? Been stuck using dynamic warp as it gets buggier with each KSP update, but I just can't give up it's ability to boost physics rates or to fix KSP's buggy resetting of phys-warp rates.

Is it bad that I keep hitting refresh every 10 minutes to see if it's posted yet? Been stuck using dynamic warp as it gets buggier with each KSP update, but I just can't give up it's ability to boost physics rates or to fix KSP's buggy resetting of phys-warp rates.
Oh my. Are we able to go plaid?

v12 Released!

Yay, checking it out right now. Feedback inc soon!

Ok, so 1st thoughts, I don't get hyperwarp at all? Either I don't know how to use it, or it's not doing remotely what I expected. I don't see any ability to adjust the speed it goes at. it just goes bonkers fast and brakes everything, or is off. With dynamic warp u can scale it 2x, 4x, 8x... and those values can multiply with phys warp. That's what I was expecting. I don't see any way to use hyperwarp to speed up re-entry and such atm because it goes too fast.

Also the keybind settings doesn't appear to do a thing. I've tried multiple keys, and none of them interact when pressed.

Edited by Yargnit

Yay, checking it out right now. Feedback inc soon!

Ok, so 1st thoughts, I don't get hyperwarp at all? Either I don't know how to use it, or it's not doing remotely what I expected. I don't see any ability to adjust the speed it goes at. it just goes bonkers fast and brakes everything, or is off. With dynamic warp u can scale it 2x, 4x, 8x... and those values can multiply with phys warp. That's what I was expecting. I don't see any way to use hyperwarp to speed up re-entry and such atm because it goes too fast.

Also the keybind settings doesn't appear to do a thing. I've tried multiple keys, and none of them interact when pressed.

Hmm, you know, that's not a bad idea, I'm not sure why I didn't consider it before. It should be simple to add something that determines how fast it tries to go. I will add that in a v12.1 update as soon as I get the descriptions sorted out.

To set keybinds, click the one you want to change, it should turn yellow, than press the key you want to bind to it. Clicking the button again cancels. I can't read.

Thats odd, I'll look into it.

Basically dynamic warp is the perfect way to handle speeding up time, but time control works better for slowing it down, and the ability to set rails warps is a huge + also. May I also suggest a hot-key to hide/show the time control window? having the little button always visible is like a mini pet peeve.

The other thing I used dynamic warp for frequently was it's way to force override the games warp control. Specifically in two instances; 1st after using phys warp, KSP doesn't properly reset to true 1x phys warp. Meaning the game ends up jerky and jumpy until you restart KSP. Dynamic warp can force it back to true speed. On the contrary, sometimes KSP runs slower than 1x when the game is perfectly capable of handling normal speed. You could use dynamic warp to force the game to run at 1x speed in those instances by toggling eithr up to 2x dynamic, then back to 1, or down to .5x & then back to 1.

Another suggestion, can you make the max time delta slider in the settings menu go lower than .03 please. I manually override my settings.cfg to reduce this further, but time control has it stuck at .03 minimum. Maybe make time control read the games CFG file and match it's lowest setting to what you have it set to there?

Basically dynamic warp is the perfect way to handle speeding up time, but time control works better for slowing it down, and the ability to set rails warps is a huge + also.

I've added a slider to determine the max speed hyperwarp will try to achieve, which should solve that. Works nice :D

May I also suggest a hot-key to hide/show the time control window? having the little button always visible is like a mini pet peeve.

If you use blizzy's toolbar you can hide it completely via that, though I can toss a hot-key in as well.

The other thing I used dynamic warp for frequently was it's way to force override the games warp control. Specifically in two instances; 1st after using phys warp, KSP doesn't properly reset to true 1x phys warp. Meaning the game ends up jerky and jumpy until you restart KSP. Dynamic warp can force it back to true speed. On the contrary, sometimes KSP runs slower than 1x when the game is perfectly capable of handling normal speed. You could use dynamic warp to force the game to run at 1x speed in those instances by toggling eithr up to 2x dynamic, then back to 1, or down to .5x & then back to 1.

This is due to a bug in KSP where the maxDeltaTime would not be reset to its value upon returning from phys-warp (maxDeltaTime cannot be lower than the physics delta). Time Control fixes this automatically.

Another suggestion, can you make the max time delta slider in the settings menu go lower than .03 please. I manually override my settings.cfg to reduce this further, but time control has it stuck at .03 minimum. Maybe make time control read the games CFG file and match it's lowest setting to what you have it set to there?

As I said above, its not possible for maxDeltaTime to be lower than the physics delta, so it's likely your config edit simply pushed it down to .02, which I can easily allow.

v12.1 will be out momentarily with these changes.

As I said above, its not possible for maxDeltaTime to be lower than the physics delta, so it's likely your config edit simply pushed it down to .02, which I can easily allow.

v12.1 will be out momentarily with these changes.

I'm actually running

PHYSICS_FRAME_DT_LIMIT = 0.01

right now in my settings.cfg, though I've run it at 0.001 in the past also (but early .24 has some issues saving that value i found which is why I raised it) Basically it just let me build larger stuff with a smooth frame-rate. (2500 part stations run quite jerky at .03, but .001 runs them smooth, if not slow)

Thanks for the quick updates. :D Any luck on the hotkey weirdness? & yeah, I don't like the toolbar.

I'm actually running
PHYSICS_FRAME_DT_LIMIT = 0.01

right now in my settings.cfg, though I've run it at 0.001 in the past also (but early .24 has some issues saving that value i found which is why I raised it) Basically it just let me build larger stuff with a smooth frame-rate. (2500 part stations run quite jerky at .03, but .001 runs them smooth, if not slow)

Thanks for the quick updates. :D Any luck on the hotkey weirdness? & yeah, I don't like the toolbar.

Well, I tested it again to be sure, and its not possible for maxDeltaTime to go below 0.02 unless you change the physics delta to be lower.

I'm not sure about the hotkeys, they work fine for me.

Running into weird bugs at the moment, will try to release what works ASAP.

EDIT: looks like the bug is present in the release :(

Edited by Xaiier

Great mod but something about it truly is bugging me.

I am using the toolbar icon to close and open the timewarp window. For me the timewarp stuff is an occasional thing I don't often have to use. However /every/ time I switch ships or back to the station or to the tracking station it insists on showing me the timewarp window. Is there any way I can get it to stay closed until I tell it I need it?

It even opens the window when I press escape to pause when I am flying a ship...

Edited by elfindreams

I am using the toolbar icon to close and open the timewarp window. For me the timewarp stuff is an occasional thing I don't often have to use. However /every/ time I switch ships or back to the station or to the tracking station it insists on showing me the timewarp window. Is there any way I can get it to stay closed until I tell it I need it?

It even opens the window when I press escape to pause when I am flying a ship...

This. Kerbal Engineer does the same thing and it's rather obnoxious and annoying

This. Kerbal Engineer does the same thing and it's rather obnoxious and annoying

Ah, yes. It seems in my attempts to have the window hide during scene loads I inadvertently made it become visible again on every scene change, as well as in a couple other situational scenarios. I will fix this behavior ASAP, however I am currently away from home and will not be back until the 7th.

Ah, yes. It seems in my attempts to have the window hide during scene loads I inadvertently made it become visible again on every scene change, as well as in a couple other situational scenarios. I will fix this behavior ASAP, however I am currently away from home and will not be back until the 7th.

Just knowing you are aware of it and plan on fixing it is good enough for me.

This is an awesome mod :)

Bryce Schroeder and I have been working on a replacement for the Planet Factory mod called Kopernicus - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/88168-Early-development-0-24-Kopernicus-Planetary-System-Modifier

One of our alpha testers uses this mod and noticed that it did not function on custom worlds introduced by the mod. I went through the source code and discovered that the standard time warp altitudes, number of planets, and reference body IDs are hard coded into the mod. I forked the repository and have made the changes necessary for Time Control to dynamically load the standard values from the game's planet manager (PSystemManager). I also adapted the save/load functions to gracefully handle changes in planet count (no need to delete your config file). I've submitted a pull request for your review.

https://github.com/Xaiier/TimeControl/pull/1

Here is a custom build with my changes so you can verify that it works

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8061287/Kopernicus/releases/TimeControl%20Kopernicus%20Fix.zip

Screenshot.2014.08_04_22.27.24.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.