[0.25] Time Control - 9/23/14 v13.2

Xaiier

Does this no longer make time go faster than a day per second?

What?

Tried to install this mod. Was curious how it would affect some of my larger rockets.

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me :( I get the tool icon in the toolbar, but no time control window that I can see.

Could you list the mods you have installed so I can look for an incompatibility? Also, post your ksp.log so I can see if theres an error somewhere. I can't help you if I don't know where to start :(

FAR

TAC life support

Kethane

Real Solar System

Kerbal Enginer

Universe Replacer

Keramzit Procedural Fairings

Deadly Reentry

Kerbin visual enhancement mod

Planet Factory

I hope that doesn't make things difficult.

Here's the log

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22015656/output_log.txt

Thanks...I assume you also have the toolbar mod.

It's throwing an error with the toolbar implementation, I'll look into it.

Does this mod no longer make time warp faster?

No, I don't think it ever has. Why would you need faster time warp?

Ion engines XD?

It's not possible to increase the time rate without either nuking your frame-rate or losing precision, which is why the standard phys-warp is limited to 4x. I think KSP Interstellar has some implementation for thrust while on-rails with solar sails and such, which is what you are looking for.

Dynwarp used to. I need faster time warp because I don't like waiting irl hours for something interesting to happen to a cloud of oktos.

Hmm, I'll look into the possibility. I found some of deadbeef's old code and theres some interesting stuff in there.

Also, maccollo, your Kethane install is throwing an error as well, could you try just installing this mod on a fresh copy?

Tried to install this mod. Was curious how it would affect some of my larger rockets.

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me :( I get the tool icon in the toolbar, but no time control window that I can see.

I was having the same problem. Fresh install no mods and still could not get this window to show up. Turns out there is an issue between the copy of the toolbar that was installed by another mod and this mod itself. I downloaded the toolbar mod directly and that fixed the problem.

The version of the toolbar was 1.4.4....the KSP log showed a null exception error after this line "AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'TimeControl' from assembly 'TimeControl'".

Edited by Mujun Kross

I was having the same problem. Fresh install no mods and still could not get this window to show up. Turns out there is an issue between the copy of the toolbar that was installed by another mod and this mod itself. I downloaded the toolbar mod directly and that fixed the problem.

The version of the toolbar was 1.4.4....the KSP log showed a null exception error after this line "AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'TimeControl' from assembly 'TimeControl'".

Thanks. It seems that in most cases, mods are designed to require the toolbar and thus it is packaged with the mod download, and sometimes the version of the toolbar that comes with it is an older version, which can mess things up.

• 2 weeks later...

How did I miss this? Great work!

A question--haven't tried yet so you may already have support for it, but I didn't see any mention. Do you save the rails settings, and load at game startup? If so I'll just include a config for that with RSS and tell people to grab this mod, rather than including my own warp code in RSS.

How did I miss this? Great work!

A question--haven't tried yet so you may already have support for it, but I didn't see any mention. Do you save the rails settings, and load at game startup? If so I'll just include a config for that with RSS and tell people to grab this mod, rather than including my own warp code in RSS.

Yeah, it does, implementation is messy as I've not had the code around long enough to be OCD bugged by inefficiency, but there should be no problem with supplying a standard config for RSS, though I wouldn't advise it. I was looking at some of Alternis Kerbol's code earlier and I may be incorrect in my assumption that the time warp can only be edited in the flight scene. As it stands now it loads the data when a scene is loaded and doesn't touch anything before that, though what I think I'll do is change that so it just gets the defaults on startup, then loads data when it needs it on flight scene. I ran into massive problems implementing this feature so while it "works" right now, its kind-of a train wreck behind the scenes. I would suggest editing the rates directly in your startup code, and I'll work to sort out my mess and have it automatically pull the default values from whatever they are, so mods that want to change them can do so before I go screwing with it.

I've noticed that in TimeControl.Update(), you are calling:

RenderingManager.AddToPostDrawQueue(0, OnDraw);

Is this correct? I believe you only need to add to the post-drawing queue once, not every frame. OR just use OnGUI() instead.

Also, wouldn't it be better to set once=true here?

[KSPAddon(KSPAddon.Startup.Instantly, false)]

since you are telling Unity to not destroy instances:

UnityEngine.Object.DontDestroyOnLoad(this);

Third, I'd like to mention that the download archive contains a folder "__MACOSX" and several ".DS_Store" files.

Hmm, yes, I think you are right. A lot of my code is sourced from various other mods so I just copied what I saw others doing.

I'm not sure I get what you mean, again a case of copying what I saw others do. There really needs to be some better documentation.

I'll take care of those files, thats a natural result of doing a standard archive on OSX.

I think your plugin is intended to run only in the flight scene, so [KSPAddon(KSPAddon.Startup.Flight, false)] should be all you need. DontDestroyOnLoad() is for things you don't want destroyed ever, which I don't think is what you need here. Just be prepared to get started and stopped as necessary, and you should be fine.

Is there a way to make it apply to more than one scene? I tried multiple attributes but the KSPAddon doesn't like that. Would I just set it to every scene and have it ignore situations where it doesn't need to do anything?

Is there a way to make it apply to more than one scene? I tried multiple attributes but the KSPAddon doesn't like that. Would I just set it to every scene and have it ignore situations where it doesn't need to do anything?

Exactly. It does only take one of the values.

Very nice mod.

But I have a problem with it.

Since the mod is installed my game has random severe Framerate drops until it is unplayable and freezes.

It happened 3 times so far. 1st time just before I turned to finish the LKO. 2nd time on the parachute while playing with torque a little bit and a 3rd time while Jeb was leaving his capsule.

Everytime I had to restart.

Since the mod is installed my game has random severe Framerate drops until it is unplayable and freezes.

Same for me, it seems to produce lots of stack overflows visible in the log. Not sure if that is related to the RenderingManager post-draw queue I mentioned earlier.

Very nice mod.

But I have a problem with it.

It happened 3 times so far. 1st time just before I turned to finish the LKO. 2nd time on the parachute while playing with torque a little bit and a 3rd time while Jeb was leaving his capsule.

Everytime I had to restart.

Same for me, it seems to produce lots of stack overflows visible in the log. Not sure if that is related to the RenderingManager post-draw queue I mentioned earlier.

Hmm...I've not noticed any myself, but I don't spend much time actually playing while its running. There do tend to be lots of overflow errors which are hard to track down. The version I'm working with after fixing things as blizzy78 has suggested seems to be more stable, I should release it later today with the new tracking station warp feature.

@blizzy78, I've changed it to be instantiated on each scene load and put the tracking station code in a separate class thats loaded in the tracking station to keep overhead down.

Edited by Xaiier

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.