[RELEASE] Kerbice Marketing advertizing display v0.9

Justin Kerbice

Advertize with style/add colors to your rovers, space stations, bases and spaceship.

v0.9 release - read the included readme carefully.

Despite all the care put in it to make sure everything was clean and smooth, if you encounter any issues directly related to the parts, please let me know.

download links are below.

This is a set of parts made to display a picture on your vehicle and ships.

You can put your own pictures in your spaceship, your brand new space station, your amazing base or anything else. It is even possible to make a kind of ads bombing with a multiple stages and parachutes :).

For now, it's just purely cosmetic, but very lightweight, then when money will be added to the game, these ads will generate a passive low regular income. Low just to avoid to earn lot's of money with just this, especially if contract is the heart of the KSP money system.

If a coder has the will and the wish to create the plugin, here are some random idea:

- income generation would be like solar panel energy, but instead of being triggered by facing The Star, it will be facing Kerbin or any another ads target (so ads facing the Mun will make 0 money at all)

- companies' campgains: an ads will generate money only for a limited time, in a decreasing fashion

- campaings "conflict": you can't group ads together in one single ship to make more money if all ads are from competing companies (kind of Coc../Pep.../SodaS... thing)

- bonus for the first time achievement (like in Ribbon mod for kerbals), companies are more happy to pay more to be the first in everything, 1st in orbit, 1st on Mun, and so on, as the 500000th mission to Mun will not get any attention to public at all. These bonus can be a factor to the difficulty of the mission like x 5 for the 1st full stable orbit, x 10 for the 1st Mun landing (including coming back), x12 for Munmin, x15, x18, x20, ...

companies relative "mood" idea:

each company can have 3 different attitude regarding the other: positive, neutral, negative.

(Sadely, a binary set would have been easier and cheaper to make, but I don't think it will be usefull.)

positive = companies can be associated on the same vessel/flight on one single multifaced ads (it may be likely possible to add bonus for such association)

neutral = they don't mind about the other, or being "associated" with the other (they are not on the same market for example)

negative = companies really be angry to be associated, even on the same space-station or base (so be carefull with our modules)

Each of these 3 relative behaviors may be part of bonus-malus system, like +1 = ads from both companies generate +x money each iteration, 0 = no change, -1 = both ads will generate -x money each iteration, or even no money at all.

another plugin can be made to display a set of pictures or even some animation (snjo's FireSpitter tex changer can also be usefull here).

features:

- two flat panels 1x1m and 1x2m

- nine axial mounting shapes: hexagonal, octogonal and cylindrical all in 3 sizes

- lightweight, ads will not compromize your missions

- template included, make your own ads easy

- different textures set to save memory (base, high-res are 1024x1024 compressed targa), I planned to make 512x512 as release tex sets, 1024x1024 as HighRes, and 256x256 as LowRes.

- a dedicated icon for PartCatalog plugin

If you have some idea to share, don't hesitate, I could add more parts.

download: zip archive 7-zip archive

photoshop templates: zip archive 7-zip archive

Misc new pictures have been added to the album.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

(thanks to OrbitusII)

Edited by Justin Kerbice
v0.9 release

For imgur albums, use the

Example: using [noparse][imgur]WGxNt">Javascript is disabled. View full album

[/noparse] yields the album below.

I would volunteer to make the plugin but I'm not terribly familiar with KSP's syntax and I also have my own plugin to maintain. :rolleyes:

Looks cool so far!

@OrbitusII: thanks, appreciated.

Feel free to start working on the thing, let see what'll happen.

@Motokid600: not possible AFAIK yet due to "1 material only rule" of KSP objects. Or it will need to create a dummy shape that match the part shape, really creazy thing to do I think.

Advertize with style/add colors to your rovers, space stations, bases and spaceship.

This is a set of parts made to display a picture on your vehicle and ships.

You can put your own pictures in your spaceship, your brand new space station, your amazing base or anything else. It is even possible to make a kind of ads bombing with a multiple stages and parachutes :).

For now, it's just purely cosmetic, but very lightweight, then when money will be added to the game, these ads will generate a passive low regular income. Low just to avoid to earn lot's of money with just this, especially if contract is the heart of the KSP money system.

If a coder has the will and the wish to create the plugin, here are some random idea:

- income generation would be like solar panel energy, but instead of being triggered by facing The Star, it will be facing Kerbin or any another ads target (so ads facing the Mun will make 0 money at all)

- companies' campgains: an ads will generate money only for a limited time, in a decreasing fashion

- campaings "conflict": you can't group ads together in one single ship to make more money if all ads are from competing companies (kind of Coc../Pep.../SodaS... thing)

- bonus for the first time achievement (like in Ribbon mod for kerbals), companies are more happy to pay more to be the first in everything, 1st in orbit, 1st on Mun, and so on, as the 500000th mission to Mun will not get any attention to public at all. These bonus can be a factor to the difficulty of the mission like x 5 for the 1st full stable orbit, x 10 for the 1st Mun landing (including coming back), x12 for Munmin, x15, x18, x20, ...

another plugin can be made to display a set of pictures or even some animation (snjo's FireSpitter tex changer can also be usefull here).

features:

- two flat panels 1x1m and 1x2m

- nine axial mounting shapes: hexagonal, octogonal and cylindrical all in 3 sizes

- lightweight, ads will not compromize your missions

- template included, make your own ads easy

- different textures set to save memory (base, high-res are 1024x1024 compressed targa), I planned to make 512x512 as release tex sets, 1024x1024 as HighRes, and 256x256 as LowRes.

- a dedicated icon for PartCatalog plugin

If you have some idea to share, don't hesitate, I could add more parts.

http://imgur.com/a/PoOO1

(thanks to OrbitusII)

I'll update this post when all will be complete including download link.

Sounds good :) Fifty Shades of Boring Grey :D This got me

little update, current task is polishing (time consuming job).

If you want to already prepare your own ads and may be see them included in the release, here are the sizes (this is the actual display size):

panel 1x1: 725x725

panel 1x2: 962x467

hexaAD: 333x333

octoAD: 250x328

CyloAD: a big strip made of two 1007x349 chunks + a remaining part of 350x116

All aspect ratio is 1:1

the cylinder (CyloAD) was very wide, that's explain the cut, to make fit in a square sized texture.

Templates may follow soon if really needed.

Example:

Edited by Justin Kerbice
album link edited

• 3 weeks later...
I love the how you used ideas from "They Live", probably one of the best cult movies of all time!

:) glad you like it. And maybe... I like Carpenter's movies and especially his musics.

This is just silly, and reminds me so much of Futurama. I love it.

;) great.

Is there a way to make like name label using this? And will you be planning to make them in-game editable?

Don't understand this label thing and what do you mean exactly by in-game editable ?

I'll probably make an example with FireSpitter texchanger module.

• 5 months later...

I expect there would be many happy people if someone threw together image templates featuring the logos of all the major Kerbal rocket companies and tossed 'em up here, BTW.

I could probably even suggest which company I think would be best to start with.

:D

Edited by Wanderfound

Experimenting...

Bit of an issue with symmetry if wing mounting:

screenshot961_zpsc40b98f6.png

A version that was curved to cup neatly over the roof on an SP+ cockpit would be awesome.

screenshot963_zpsa86aa160.png

Mirroring issues with lateral fuselage panels as well, unfortunately. Any chance of a version of the hex-piece shaped like an SP+ fuselage section? Maybe just the size of the drone core to start? It's just right for pilot's names, etc.

screenshot965_zps2993af85.png

Nearly there for belly plates; nowhere near as curved as the roof.

This mod has massive potential if it just gets a smidgeon more flexible and user-friendly (good collection of choose-from-menu stock images, maybe tweakable size or shape). Could be huge.

screenshot964_zps192dc777.png

Circular ones work well behind intakes, in front of engines or as structural pieces on Mk1's.

screenshot966_zpsef373f97.png

Billboard pieces that were shaped like and functioned as rudders (i.e. winglets) would be awesome.

screenshot967_zpsb8eb40d8.png

Edited by Wanderfound

Call to any designers: the Kerbodyne Skydancer is leaving for the Minmus Ice Racing Championships very soon. I'd live to have some graphic livery, but the level of Adobe nous required is beyond me.

If any generous soul with free time feels like making up a Kerbodyne logo or even just racing numbers (14 is my usual) for me that fit on the medium size cylindrical part shown above, I'll also carry an ad that you make for yourself (so long as it's not totally obnoxious). Sure to get good exposure amongst all of the keenest spaceplane pilots.

If anyone figures out a way to skin the whole plane with graphics, I'll turn half of the plane into an ad for the mod wot dun it.

Edited by Wanderfound

This is a horrible, terrible, no-good, bad mod and sets a horrible precedent for Kerbal kind. The OP should be shunned in everything forever and banned from computers for life.

Because reasons...

(This mod sponsored by BNL Interstellar.)

:P

Such dubious humour didn't worth a reply. :sealed:

Edited by Justin Kerbice

Experimenting...

Bit of an issue with symmetry if wing mounting:

A version that was curved to cup neatly over the roof on an SP+ cockpit would be awesome.

Mirroring issues with lateral fuselage panels as well, unfortunately. Any chance of a version of the hex-piece shaped like an SP+ fuselage section? Maybe just the size of the drone core to start? It's just right for pilot's names, etc.

Nearly there for belly plates; nowhere near as curved as the roof.

This mod has massive potential if it just gets a smidgeon more flexible and user-friendly (good collection of choose-from-menu stock images, maybe tweakable size or shape). Could be huge.

Symmetry in KSP is bad because it use 180° rotation instead of mirroring, don't use it, sorry. And don't forget to ask Squad for a proper symmetry tool.

Maybe, maybe no, my todo list is already long enough, I have some plan for this set, stay tuned.

Good idea, I will think of it (a mk2 part, maybe more like the half-szed tank of SP+)

Of course, one single part can't fit every single part available in the game, even no one yet have did such thing (procedural things allow only to change length, width, diameter or size).

What are your idea regarding the user-friendly flexibility ? Templates are already provided to make your own ads, what could I do more on this (don't forget KSP have its own limits) and license is far far away to be restrictive ?

I have also thought to make use of FSTexSwitcher module (allowing change of tex in VAB/SPH, don't like to allow it on flight).

Call to any designers: the Kerbodyne Skydancer is leaving for the Minmus Ice Racing Championships very soon. I'd live to have some graphic livery, but the level of Adobe nous required is beyond me.

If any generous soul with free time feels like making up a Kerbodyne logo or even just racing numbers (14 is my usual) for me that fit on the medium size cylindrical part shown above, I'll also carry an ad that you make for yourself (so long as it's not totally obnoxious). Sure to get good exposure amongst all of the keenest spaceplane pilots.

If anyone figures out a way to skin the whole plane with graphics, I'll turn half of the plane into an ad for the mod wot dun it.

In your 'before edition' message, you ask for something more specific which can be done in not a long time. And you beat me on the line as I would post something to ask Squad for Hi-Res companies logo, the pics on GameData folder are too small to be good enough for not tiny textures.

Symmetry in KSP is bad because it use 180° rotation instead of mirroring, don't use it, sorry. And don't forget to ask Squad for a proper symmetry tool.

Maybe, maybe no, my todo list is already long enough, I have some plan for this set, stay tuned.

Good idea, I will think of it (a mk2 part, maybe more like the half-szed tank of SP+)

Of course, one single part can't fit every single part available in the game, even no one yet have did such thing (procedural things allow only to change length, width, diameter or size).

What are your idea regarding the user-friendly flexibility ? Templates are already provided to make your own ads, what could I do more on this (don't forget KSP have its own limits) and license is far far away to be restrictive ?

I have also thought to make use of FSTexSwitcher module (allowing change of tex in VAB/SPH, don't like to allow it on flight).

Firstly: thanks for the mod. Y'all do great work, and the rest of us are your fans, not your customers. You don't owe us anything, and I'm grateful for whatever I get.

However, since you asked for feedback:

From the point of view of a not-stupid but not-interested-in-hours-fighting-with-Adobe person, the level of user friendliness that something like this needs is the ability to just take a single flat logo image (eg: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/w/images/thumb/f/fa/Kerbodyne.png/180px-Kerbodyne.png), cut and paste that into the mod without alteration, and have it work from there.

The current templates (http://i.imgur.com/rpELz6F.png) are confusing and a bit intimidating: I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with those stripes along the bottom or the square in top right, and figuring it out would take this out of "game" and into "work".

Ideally, there would be a menu to choose from presets, as with the default flags. Add to that the ability to use custom images, preferably just by a "select image file to use" or "enter URL of image file" method. Similar to how you'd post a screenshot to the forums.

It would be nice if the preset options included all the iconic KSP companies, but even just having one or two would be a big improvement. At the moment, if you're not up to messing around with the templates, the choices are placeholder text or nothing.

Would making the billboards double-sided solve the symmetry issues? It doesn't matter if the "wrong" side is facing out if both sides look the same.

Edited by Wanderfound

I guess you're more looking for a "flaginator" or something close to this, there is one here (very messy thread IMHO, so good luck to find it :) ) I remember seeing examples of flagdecal style pic all around a ship.

Templates are what they are, it's the same as learning to build a working plane in KSP, it's need to get some skills, you can't assemble a tank, an engine, some wings and complain after that your plane fly like crap.

I'll have to post my request for stock cies logos. And yes, that's makes things easier for everyone, stupid symmetry thing :/.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.