[1.0.5] Advanced Jet Engine v2.6.1 - Feb 1

camlost

Seems like not fixed yet?

Could you post your output log? I'm away from my KSP computer right now, so I can't test myself, but if I identify the error I can probably fix it remotely, and if not I'll be back in about 16 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

blowfish, Viewing changelog for 2.3.0 I see many tasty things but... have read for five times and still cannot understand the "Use turbojet model for F100 and F404 if VenStockRevamp is present - it's a more correct model"... Where has the F404 turbofan engine gone? All of my aircrafts are not loadable as they "Contain invalid parts" now. I'm not using Vens Revamp.

Wait a minute, I may have misjudged the problem. The F404 uses a different model in the presence of VSR, but it should exist either way, provided you have Procedural Parts. If you don't have that, how were you using it, since it's a non-standard size?

Post your output log either way though.

What is the reasoning behind removing gimbals from the engines? Is this to match the RL counterparts not having thrust vectoring tech? Just curious now that I realized. Thanks!

Could you post your output log? I'm away from my KSP computer right now, so I can't test myself, but if I identify the error I can probably fix it remotely, and if not I'll be back in about 16 hours.

Wait a minute, I may have misjudged the problem. The F404 uses a different model in the presence of VSR, but it should exist either way, provided you have Procedural Parts. If you don't have that, how were you using it, since it's a non-standard size?

Post your output log either way though.

I don't use procedural parts but on pre 2.3.0 versions F404 and F100 engines are present, scaled and working.

My output_log here. Everytime I switch to 2.3.0 and back it costs me 4000 ingame funds. Well, let's look at that as the engineering expenses :)

I don't use procedural parts but on pre 2.3.0 versions F404 and F100 engines are present, scaled and working.

My output_log here. Everytime I switch to 2.3.0 and back it costs me 4000 ingame funds. Well, let's look at that as the engineering expenses :)

Okay, there's no real problem here, just a misunderstanding. As of 2.3.0 the rescaled engines are only created if PP is present. My reasoning was that they're non-standard sizes, so what could you possibly attach them to if you don't have it? Maybe you can convince me to reverse course on this, but for now, just create an empty ProceduralParts folder in your GameData folder and you'll see the engines again.

I have them perfectly attached to stock parts. Thus Procedural parts was not a strict requirement. So I think it would be great to have a choice to not install it as your mod doesn't strictly require it.

UKkbl1F.jpg

oM1Nkez.jpg

EDIT: yes, the engines have returned when I created the ProceduralParts folder.

Edited by Ser

The F100 will exist regardless - that's just the basic jet. The F404 is smaller. It looks ok in the configuration you've got, but attach it to any of the fuselage parts and the fact that it's not the same size will become painfully obvious.

Could anyone please explain how to use props properly? I am struggling to use them effectively and get anything off of the ground, I am using KAX.

For example I can never reach the horsepower and RPM as advertised and if I take my engine throttle to low, I cannot start my engines again to a flame out because the magnetos are off. Thanks for any help!

Edited by Inflectrum

Could anyone please explain how to use props properly? I am struggling to use them effectively and get anything off of the ground, I am using KAX.

For example I can never reach the horsepower and RPM as advertised and if I take my engine throttle to low, I cannot start my engines again to a flame out because the magnetos are off. Thanks for any help!

I'm pretty sure that even in the latest dev build propellors are still broken.

What is the reasoning behind removing gimbals from the engines? Is this to match the RL counterparts not having thrust vectoring tech? Just curious now that I realized. Thanks!

Not sure if my post was missed so I wanted to post again :)

• 2 weeks later...

Does AJE modify FAR in any way? Pre-AJE, my plane as a wave drag area of ~.5, but with AJE, it has one of ~1.9... It also gains so much control authority, it can maintain a 20g+ turn. The air just feels like soup. And I know it's AJE specifically involved, because removing it reverts to normal behaviour. Any help would be appreciated!

Does AJE modify FAR in any way? Pre-AJE, my plane as a wave drag area of ~.5, but with AJE, it has one of ~1.9... It also gains so much control authority, it can maintain a 20g+ turn. The air just feels like soup. And I know it's AJE specifically involved, because removing it reverts to normal behaviour. Any help would be appreciated!

AJE supplies its own intake/engine area which FAR uses for area ruling. Stock intake area is probably greater - FAR calculates it as stock intake area * 100, so the intake area is around 1 m^2 in stock vs 0.6-0.75 m^2 in AJE for the 1.25m intakes. Aircraft definitely need to be balanced specifically for AJE vs stock. Note that this is something that FAR detects automatically rather than something AJE provides to FAR, so it's rather fixed as far as AJE is concerned.

Okay, so this mod is not very friendly to intakes from unsupported mods I take it? Specifically referring to intakes from the Mk2 Expansion. That could well explain the strange distortion in my wave drag...

I recall briefly looking at the Mk2 expansion configs a little while ago and determining that they are not compatible with current versions of AJE. Specifically they add AJEModule and AJEInlet modules rather than changing the name of ModuleEnginesFX and ModuleResourceIntake which is now the correct way to do it.

I recall briefly looking at the Mk2 expansion configs a little while ago and determining that they are not compatible with current versions of AJE. Specifically they add AJEModule and AJEInlet modules rather than changing the name of ModuleEnginesFX and ModuleResourceIntake which is now the correct way to do it.

Ah, I wasn't sure how it worked! I'll go take it up on that mod's thread to see if it can get fixed!

GIT HYPE

In light of the changes that are coming in 1.1, the corresponding release of AJE will be craft breaking. The basic jet, in accordance with the new model, will now be a small airliner turbofan, probably the CF34. The new 1.25m "Panther" engine will be split into the F100 (sans vectoring) and another engine with vectoring (haven't decided on a good candidate yet). The new 2.5m high bypass turbofan will likely become a CF6, and the 0.625m "Juno" jet will become the new J85.

E: Also should mention that propellers are now producing the correct amount of thrust in the development version (thanks ferram4 for the fix). The "Magnetos Off" bug still exists ... I'll look into fixing that when I get back home on Tuesday or so.

Edited by blowfish

I think there's something wrong with the F-404, if I look at the thrust then it says dryThrust = 53.16 and wetThrust 53.16 too. Should wetThrust be at 78.7?

The engine feels underpowered but that could be me doing something wrong with my plane.

For the record I'm using the solver_redo branch.

Edited by Shazbot

Good catch, I'll fix that tonight.

Thanks

I tried to crudely solve the problem myself by just setting wetThrust to 78.7, however it somehow made the engine get absurd amounts of thrust, maxing at 150kN at Mach 2 which probably isn't how it should be either. ThrustUpperLimit is at 150, maybe that should be toned down?

Thanks

I tried to crudely solve the problem myself by just setting wetThrust to 78.7, however it somehow made the engine get absurd amounts of thrust, maxing at 150kN at Mach 2 which probably isn't how it should be either. ThrustUpperLimit is at 150, maybe that should be toned down?

setting wetThrust to 78.7 is correct as far as the config is concerned. AJE engines do produce more thrust than they should at supersonic speed, but that's a problem with the engine model we're using rather than anything else. I have a fix planned, but it'll take some time to implement. For those interested, the change is that currently AJE assumes that non-dimensional flow through the engine is constant, which results in an overestimate of low at higher speeds. The new model will assume that the turbine is choked.

AJE 2.4.0 is released

This fixes all of the propeller issues, as well as other minor fixes and tweaks. Note that jets and (non-electric) propellers will only auto-restart after a fuel-deprivation flameout if their internal temperature is above a certain threshold. Otherwise you just have to shut them down and restart.

• Propellers now produce correct amount of thrust, thanks ferram4
  • Fix Meredith effect, exhaust thrust, not applying cooler efficiency or cooler min, calcing boost pressures for MAP, magneto perma-off-prop bug (ferram4)
  • Adjust Stock Revamp MM syntax
  • Fix F404 Wet Thrust
  • Add DB-605A
  • Convert J57, J79, Atar, Avon to clones of stock TRJ instead of B9 turbojet - will be moved to clones of Panther in KSP 1.1
  • Update SolverEngines to 1.10
    • Fixes propellers being unable to start after flameout
    • Adds temperature-based auto-restart on flameout: jets and non-electric props will only auto-restart if the internal temperature is above a certain threshold

FYI this update broke my RSS RO RP0 install. It stopped loading at the first jet engine from Squad. I tried deleting that part and then the game would stop loading and the next one, and so on. I reverted to your previous release and it works fine again.

This could possibly be because I haven't updated RO and RP0 (due to conflicts with TAC LS). Or some conflict with any one of the 50+ mods I have installed.

FYI this update broke my RSS RO RP0 install. It stopped loading at the first jet engine from Squad. I tried deleting that part and then the game would stop loading and the next one, and so on. I reverted to your previous release and it works fine again.

This could possibly be because I haven't updated RO and RP0 (due to conflicts with TAC LS). Or some conflict with any one of the 50+ mods I have installed.

There should be something in the output log saying what's wrong. Would you mind posting it?

Also, did you update SolverEngines?