News from the Squadcast

Raikoutrio

Yay! More mod mechanics in vanilla! I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Ok that's not fair....yet. Maybe they'll improve on the precise node mod. We'll see. They already implemented subassemblies in a nearly identical way as the mod that came before it. Yes they probably coded those things themselves, but that's like reinventing the wheel. I'd rather they concentrate on things that the community can't do well themselves.

Yay! More mod mechanics in vanilla! I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Ok that's not fair....yet. Maybe they'll improve on the precise node mod. We'll see. They already implemented subassemblies in a nearly identical way as the mod that came before it. Yes they probably coded those things themselves, but that's like reinventing the wheel. I'd rather they concentrate on things that the community can't do well themselves.

I actually like that they're adding popular mods to stock. Personally, I like stock because it gives me the best idea of the level of challenge the game developer intended. I'm not bashing anyone who uses mods, it's just not how I usually play, personally.

By the way, I can't seem to find where these squadcasts are. My google skills are apparently not good enough. Can anyone post a link to the one the op is referencing?

I actually like that they're adding popular mods to stock.

I do as well, it just feels tiny little bit like intellectual plagiarism and I'd rather have a fuller experience sooner rather than having to restart a game, just to take advantage of a mechanic that I already had. Maybe I'm talking nonsense. Are KSP updates game-breaking?

Can anyone post a link to the one the op is referencing?

I think it's KSPTV on twitch. So it's probably the latest Squadcast with Maxmaps.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

I do as well, it just feels tiny little bit like intellectual plagiarism

The reason that some functionality is first found in mods and then added to ksp is that ksp as a whole takes a lot more time to work on than a single mod. For most of these things the issue is not that Squad lacks creativity to think of it, they just lack the man power to implement it all in ksp in the same amount of time that it takes to develop a mod.

I do as well, it just feels tiny little bit like intellectual plagiarism and I'd rather have a fuller experience sooner rather than having to restart a game, just to take advantage of a mechanic that I already had. Maybe I'm talking nonsense. Are KSP updates game-breaking?

I think it's KSPTV on twitch. So it's probably the latest Squadcast with Maxmaps.

Yes you are talking nonsense. How can it be bad that they are adding the most popular mods? I only play stock as I like to play the game as squad intend it to be played but some of the functionality on mods litterally deserve to be stock.

So why do so many people have a problem with something getting implemented that already exists as a mod? They also want to make the aerodynamics better in later updates and noone is saying that they are just copying FAR. There also has been suggestions to make maneuver nodes better so the idea isn't just from the mod.

A little bit offtopic: is there any way of watching twitch not live on an iPad? I have the app, but it's only able to display streams which are currently live and not old ones. If I try it in the browser it just says that I need adobe flash, which is obviously impossible on an iPad.

Keep in mind folks that some of these mods provide features that was planned long before the mod came along. Those that have been added and were not planned was Squad saying "The community loves this idea, we should use this so they OFFICIAL SUPPORT of this feature.

Also keep in mind, Squad is dealing with multiple issues with what? a dozen or so staff? if you took every single person who has worked on a really popular mod, it would probably be 5-10 times the number of Squad's staff. Squad has also deferred adding some of these mods so they can work on more important things, like Kraken attacks, adding in career mode, science, ect.

I do as well, it just feels tiny little bit like intellectual plagiarism and I'd rather have a fuller experience sooner rather than having to restart a game, just to take advantage of a mechanic that I already had.

I would agree if SQUAD released a patch which was nothing but the addition of some mods.

Does anyone know which maneuvre node mod it is that Squad is bringing into the game? I'd love to try it out before 0.24 comes out.

I doubt they're using mod code directly, but it might look and act like a mod.

Was any of it actually shown or just talked about? How many minutes in do they talk about it? Does anyone have a transcript of the talk of the new stuff / screencaps if they show anything?

I don't know why they don't just make short highlight videos showing or talking about new features of the next update. Stop making me sit through all this rubbish just to get a few seconds of something new.

Edited by The-Bean

Does anyone know which maneuvre node mod it is that Squad is bringing into the game? I'd love to try it out before 0.24 comes out.

Precise Node allows for more control over maneuver nodes, but like I said I don't know exactly what's coming.

So why do so many people have a problem with something getting implemented that already exists as a mod?

IMO mod adaptations should be left for the very last release, unless it's something that Squad can really do much better than the community. That would allow them the time to work on things that we couldn't possibly hope to do. A good example is a decent mission/contract system. There was a mod that did this but it didn't seem that good to me, so I decided to wait for Squad to implement that and it's coming soon. But I still play with dozens of top quality mods that make the game feel more finished, like Precise node, FAR, Robotics, KER, Kethane, Rasterpropmonitor and so on. None of these are in the game but they are good enough to hold me over for now.

Yes you are talking nonsense. How can it be bad that they are adding the most popular mods? I only play stock as I like to play the game as squad intend it to be played but some of the functionality on mods litterally deserve to be stock.

*sigh* thanks for trying.

IMO mod adaptations should be left for the very last release, unless it's something that Squad can really do much better than the community. That would allow them the time to work on things that we couldn't possibly hope to do.

Apparently the functionality literally needs to be in the game to make the asteroid missions remotely playable in pure stock, so it allows them to create more content through such an update. A lot of functionality may not even be perceived as "mandatory" until it becomes a real problem (like now). Maneuver nodes are perfectly serviceable in their current form; even I mainly use my mod for fine-tuning something I set up myself (or for transfer maneuvers, but that's a different can of worms).

*sigh* thanks for trying.

Behave yourself. Your talking utter nonsense, there are always people on here moaning about what squad are up to. Just enjoy the game, how can there be ANYTHING wrong with squad adding more precise control over maneuver nodes?

Please consider what you are positing before you type it.

Apparently the functionality literally needs to be in the game to make the asteroid missions remotely playable in pure stock, so it allows them to create more content through such an update. A lot of functionality may not even be perceived as "mandatory" until it becomes a real problem (like now). Maneuver nodes are perfectly serviceable in their current form; even I mainly use my mod for fine-tuning something I set up myself (or for transfer maneuvers, but that's a different can of worms).

I was going to say that I am surprised that this found its way into stock before Kerbal engineer redux, but but what you said makes a lot of sense. Setting up your node just right is vitally important when you are trying to encounter something like an asteroid...

I think mod integration (or copying functions that certain mods provide) is a godo thing. It ensures the user that thay function stays supported. What if a mod creator decides not to update their mod to .24 because of reasons. We then lose a function in an update in stead of gaining them.

ISA mapsat was one of my favorite mods, making maps and all that. Its to bad it's not supported anymore.

I wish they made this stock: the ability to disable or enable radial attachment (only on parts which can be radially attached)

But tell me honestly are you really worse off using the mod in the meantime?

Behave yourself. Your talking utter nonsense, there are always people on here moaning about what squad are up to. Just enjoy the game, how can there be ANYTHING wrong with squad adding more precise control over maneuver nodes?

Please consider what you are positing before you type it.

Stop embarrassing yourself. I AM enjoying it. I'm enjoying it a whole lot. I play this more than anything else. I'm just bemoaning a general point.

I think mod integration (or copying functions that certain mods provide) is a godo thing. It ensures the user that thay function stays supported.

That's a good point.

What if a mod creator decides not to update their mod to .24 because of reasons. We then lose a function in an update in stead of gaining them.

ISA mapsat was one of my favorite mods, making maps and all that. Its to bad it's not supported anymore.

Then someone will take over or make a new mod. It happens all the time with all the best mods. There's ScanSat right now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.