[0.23] Mods/Addons Everyone Should Know About!

List of Mods/Addons EVERYONE Should Know About!

Here is the Mod list below with a small description about what the mod adds to the game! (In no way will these descriptions cover all that the mods add) (Click the Mod name above the description to go to the mod's official forum post for far more information on that specific Mod)

Also, feel free to reply with your favorite mods (I may add them to the list) or your feelings about the mods I posted! I would love to hear them!

The Kethane Pack

The Kethane Pack adds a whole new way to getting fuel to the game! It will allow you to find Kethane deposits on planets (And Moons) and mine the deposits! (Especially useful for bases on far away planets that you wouldn't want to waste the time taking fuel to 24/7)

Here is their official trailer!

Firespitter Part Pack

The Firespitter Part pack adds many new parts to spice up your aircraft building experience! The part pack adds propeller engines, helicopter engines, wings, cockpits, and much much more! It is pretty hard to sum up because of all the features added!

Here is a little teaser of the mod

Kt3hMhy.jpg

B9 Aerospace Pack

The B9 Aerospace Pack vastly expands a selection of parts, in particular with high-quality spaceplane components such as new engines, cockpits, wings and fuselage systems! With over 210 new parts it runs extremely smooth! The mod reuses textures on multiple parts so it will drastically reduce your computers memory usage!

Here is an album with some pictures to inspire you on what to make with this AMAZING mod! :D

Album :)

Kerbal Multiplayer (Pre-Alpha)

KMP is a mod for v0.23 of Kerbal Space Program that adds a multiplayer game option. In a KMP game you can freely interact with other players and do all the Kerbally things you'd normally do in KSP, but with friends (or strangers) playing in the same universe, at the same time. Oh, and you can use (normal, on-rails) warp as much as you want! With KMP you can chat, share screenshots, share your crafts, and interact with each other in an EXTREMELY smooth environment! There is MUCH more to this mod that would be extremely hard for me to explain in a small description :P But here the FAQ so you can learn more! (Here is the unofficial server list for the KMP mod just so you don't miss it. ServerList)

MechJeb Auto-Pilot

Alot of people will consider MechJeb a cheat, but I consider it a beginners learning tool ;) When I was new to KSP I would get so annoyed that I couldn't even do the simplest things! Like getting into an Orbit around Kerbin for example. I almost quit KSP multiple times than I found MechJeb. It helped me get to know the game alot better to where I could do most things on my own. Now I do play without MechJeb because it is much more of a challenge. I would recommend if you do use it, don't use overpowered(OP) tools like Auto-Landing for example. Trust me not using OP tools will increase your skill at doing "simple" things such as landing for example tremendously! But I would HIGHLY recommend trying to watch tutorials to learn how to do these things instead of using MechJeb (

). Depends on your playing style but from my point of view eventually MechJeb will make your game very dull and boring so BEWARE! Do not use it to long :)

RealChute

RealChute is a complete rework of the stock parachute module to fix a few of it's inconveniences and get more realistic results out of parachutes! He chutes deploy gradually over a given amount of time following an exponential function to have a more realistic deployment and to prevent sudden +15Gs! It adds MANY more changed to chutes! I would highly recommend this mod!

Ferram Aerospace Research (FAR)

The FAR Mod enhances the Aerodynamics system in KSP exponentially. Aerodynamics are properly based on the shape of the aircraft, the aircraft stalls when the wings on the aircraft are above a certain angle of attack which can lead to a catastrophic crash of the aircraft. It adds MUCH MUCH more and I would recommend watch the video below that will illustrate how much this mod will impact your gameplay experience.

Kerbal Alarm Clock (KAR)

The Kerbal Alarm Clock is a plugin that allows you to create reminder alarms at future periods to help you manage your flights and not warp past important times! This is extremely helpful in not forgetting maneuver nodes, passing cleanly through spheres of influence, and managing more than a couple missions at once!

(Thank you donfede for the suggestion)

Docking Port Alignment Indicator

he Docking Port Alignment Indicator is designed to help you dock manually, by presenting target alignment and relative position in a clean and intuitive manner!

(Thank you Dust for the suggestion)

KW Rocketry

KW Rocketry now features emissives on every engine, normals for every part, and a number of brand new parts, including side-mounted tanks styled after those on the Vostok and Soyuz rockets. KW Rocketry also includes two different versions of the vanilla strut part, a choice of automatic or manual engine fairings and a number of 1-3m converter fuel tank parts!

(Thank you Dust for the suggestion)

Installing Mods

Don't know how to install mods? Here is a video tutorial from an AWESOME very well known YouTuber named Scott Manley! I would recommend checking out his

if you are new to KSP!

More mods to come!

(This list is NO where complete and I will be adding more mods to this list when I get some more free time)

(Feel free to reply and tell many anything you think I should fix on this list. Description of a mod, Mod name, Etc)

(I do want add that some of these descriptions are partially copy/pasted from the mods thread)

Edited by TheOfficialStorm

So many people ask for VASIMR and MPDTs. Near Future Propulsion needs to be on there. It's a beautiful pack art-wise (trusses coming soon!) and it adds so much more versatility and use to the ion engine scene.

drastically reduce your computers memory usage

This is a straight up lie. B9 plus pretty much any other reasonably sized parts pack almost always results in memory crashes. I've tested it. B9 + KW = mem crash. B9 + NFP = mem crash. B9 + planet pack = mem crash.(I have 8GB RAM on my system and am running full res textures without AMR)

This brings me to another thing. If you're going to advertise such large parts packs, you should also add the Active Memory Reduction mod to the list. That's an absolute must if B9 is on there.

Edited by Captain Sierra

Definitly kerbal clock !! It a must have ! And kerbal engineer as a alternative to mejeb ( or void with the head up display )

I also use a lot precise node and i couldn't perform a docking without the plugins from navyfish( There is a Scott maley vid about the last one)

Depends on your playing style but from my point of view eventually MechJeb will make your game very dull and boring so BEWARE! Do not use it to long :)

I found the opposite to be true, MechJeb prevents the game from getting dull and boring.

And to add content: Editor Extensions. Once you've used vertical snap you'll never want to be without it again.

So many people ask for VASIMR and MPDTs. Near Future Propulsion needs to be on there. It's a beautiful pack art-wise (trusses coming soon!) and it adds so much more versatility and use to the ion engine scene.

This is a straight up lie. B9 plus pretty much any other reasonably sized parts pack almost always results in memory crashes. I've tested it. B9 + KW = mem crash. B9 + NFP = mem crash. B9 + planet pack = mem crash.(I have 8GB RAM on my system and am running full res textures without AMR)

This brings me to another thing. If you're going to advertise such large parts packs, you should also add the Active Memory Reduction mod to the list. That's an absolute must if B9 is on there.

I..have never had a memory crash...actually I get little to no memory impact at all using B9

Well at least NovaPunch made someones list.

In all seriousness it's great that your offering reviews of some of the more popular mods, but to say that they are the "must haves" and miss out on so many other great mods is really a punch in the gut to those other mods.

Chances are the popular mods don't really need more support, spaceport already shows you which ones are the highest rated. But, an in depth review of mods with regular updates would be a great thread and offer some much needed feedback for the mod creators.

Well at least NovaPunch made someones list.

In all seriousness it's great that your offering reviews of some of the more popular mods, but to say that they are the "must haves" and miss out on so many other great mods is really a punch in the gut to those other mods.

Chances are the popular mods don't really need more support, spaceport already shows you which ones are the highest rated. But, an in depth review of mods with regular updates would be a great thread and offer some much needed feedback for the mod creators.

When I get home I plan on doing exactly that. I will give my personal review of the mods and if I truly think they are needed or not. I will try to go for some less known mods :)

I personally feel that the following list, that predates this thread, is much more comprehensive and concise:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55401-Community-Mods-and-Plugins-Library

Thank you for sharing! This is just for mods I think everyone should know about. Not just a list of mods.

Be honest, are there ANY mods on that list everybody should NOT know about?

That list is not only nearly half a year older, much more complete and less biased. It is still active and maintained. Latest update was, guess what, today!

No offense but there is no real need to start a new list.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.