Post your planes of any type here! [.23]

Well hello there budding KSP space-plane manufactures,

OK, so the whole point of this thread is to post what ever craft that could count as a plane (by which I mean rely on lift from mostly two lifting surfaces (unless you are going to make a plane with less, that would be crazy!!)) and share it to the public.

So on that note there will have to be some rules as obviously people (who are annoying...) will probably try to ruin this thread.

Here goes.

Stick to the KSP forum rules.

Give the thread a plane. not a rocket!

It has to be something that you are proud of in yourself. Not comparing it to other designs.

Do have a chat about the previous plane or another plane you want to get information about; but don't get too off topic.

Stock craft. Eww Modded yukhttp://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/images/smilies/k_undecided.gif!

Heh... Have fun... Wow I've always wanted to say that! xD

I hope to see some of your planes. Now get building!

Burn,

Alrighty then.

(i'm sorry I just can't restrain myself from going to space)

Here's my formerly poor piloting skills in action - stranding planes on another planet...

eTXiuTz.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album

And here's other stuff:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

EDIT: Video!!!

Edited by Overfloater
What's it to you >:-[

Wow nicely done guys! I'll edit this post after I've read through the stuff you've sent me!

Edit:

Overfloater! WTF bro that's crazy. To laythe in a plane! Also love your other planes.

Hodo. I've possibly seen that craft beat mine on a thread in the challenges xD. It looks really good though!

Mazlem. What an idea. You may have made me try at it and god it's hard! You amazing derp xD.

Edited by burnoutforzai

Been playing with the spaceplanes muchly recently, and here's one that actually flew, but wasn't really space-worthy;

1024x640.resizedimage

and one that can make it to space, but didn't stay up for very long;

1024x640.resizedimage

Will upload some more successful/recent ones later on today, along with space-station docking!

-snip-

You may want to inform lajoswinkler...AFAIK he's the resident doge expert on this forum :D

Anyway, I just finished this little thing. It can only bring small satellites to orbit, but there's a whole "family" of SSTOs planned, this is just the first iteration.

screenshot1425_zpsb11bd77d.png

As promised, here are the ones I've been working on recently; and sorry this is a bit pic-heavy! And keep forgetting to say that MechJeb is the ONLY non-stock part, mainly because I sometimes panic and send things spinning out of control! (Without mechjeb, I find it VERY hard to pilot the 'planes... but I am going through a bad time right now, so forgive me, please!)

First up is my EXperimental X-Plane 64 (I've recently been numbering my craft as though it were RAM! :rolleyes: ) and is named so:

1024x640.resizedimage

1024x640.resizedimage

Next up is the X-Plane EX128:

1024x640.resizedimage

and in-flight:

?id=238577421

Lastly, I have finally managed to build an SSTO using one of the large orange fuel tanks! never expected it to get it off the ground, so there is only one quick snapshot of it on it's maiden voyage:

1024x640.resizedimage

All of these planes have been designed to be dock with my space station and OFD found in the spacestation thread :)

Edited by Cmdr. Arn1e
stuffed up the image links 1st time round >.<

As promised, here are the ones I've been working on recently; and sorry this is a bit pic-heavy! And keep forgetting to say that MechJeb is the ONLY non-stock part, mainly because I sometimes panic and send things spinning out of control! (Without mechjeb, I find it VERY hard to pilot the 'planes... but I am going through a bad time right now, so forgive me, please!)

First up is my EXperimental X-Plane 64 (I've recently been numbering my craft as though it were RAM! :rolleyes: ) and is named so:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=238576662

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=238576951

Next up is the X-Plane EX128:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=238577137

and in-flight:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=238577421

Lastly, I have finally managed to build an SSTO using one of the large orange fuel tanks! never expected it to get it off the ground, so there is only one quick snapshot of it on it's maiden voyage:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=238664830

All of these planes have been designed to be dock with my space station and OFD found in the spacestation thread :)

You may have to use Imgur or imageshack to post pictures. I have never tried to post from my steam account.

Dream Chaser work-alike:

Oqm44aR.png

My favorite CRV:

YIcwUan.png

X-9 low-profile wing research aircraft (I was doing actual research on aircraft stability and control. This wasn't related to the real X series):

jwhMRqC.png

The plane on the front is the X-13 suborbital manned aircraft, and the one and the back is a cool infiniglider research aircraft that made it to jool:

2e9yqXo.png

YI7XRaD.png

I'm not really a plane fan, but they're a fun challenge. :)

teM3myA.png

It may not look like it, but it has 4 sets of the combined turbojet-basicjet, for a total of 8 engines. It turns like a brick.

With that thrust, it was a pity I didn't find the transient facts, but I did feel the info high.

Edited by Whatshtisthis

Hi all,

Just posting my three favorite plane designs I've come up with! :)

The first one is the ProMaster, it's essentially a long-range exploration plane complete with avionics for atmosphere science. It's also been used a few times as a rescue plane to pick up Kerbals stranded on other parts of Kerbin after re-entry. It's first shakedown flight took it to the Northern Polar Cap for a successful landing, flag-planting, peek around and return to the KSC! It's powered by 3 Turbojet engines. The only issue I have with it is that it has to have a very shallow take-off angle as the engines jut out quite a bit at the rear.

Front-quarter view:

screenshot0_zpsf192203f.png

Front view:

screenshot1_zpsddcc4075.png

Top view:

screenshot2_zps77831a0e.png

Rear view:

screenshot3_zpsac890217.png

The second plane is the Groman. It's just a single-seat, but relatively maneuverable jet. It's also very stable until the fuel starts to get low. I use it for flying from place to place on Kerbin when necessary. I land "important / historical" ships at KSC2 and label them as monuments, so the Groman is the jet I use to fly there if required to do any "monument maintenance", lol. It's equipped with 4 parachutes in case of emergencies to bring it safely back to the ground...although not always in one piece, haha!

Front-quarter view:

screenshot0_zpsdbd671b9.png

Front view:

screenshot1_zps46858d30.png

Top view:

screenshot2_zpsae6cdf93.png

Rear view:

screenshot3_zps2f85eab6.png

The last plane I wanted to show is the SpeeDemon. It was designed solely as a record-breaking plane to beat my best in-atmosphere top speed by a jet-powered aircraft. I wanted it to be light with a high power-to-weight ratio but still decent lift. It's quite unstable at high speeds, hence my use of SAS, but at lower throttle settings and speeds it's not too bad. At maximum throttle, it only has enough fuel for about 6 minutes of flight, but it can climb to my record-breaking start altitude of 21,000m at just 1/4-1/3 throttle, so I don't need to burn a lot of fuel before the attempt starts. It DID break my record at a maximum height of a 26,700m (with just 0.01 intake air left!), piloted by Bill Kerman at a maximum speed of 2113.1m/s.

Front-quarter view:

screenshot0_zps38d6b926.png

Front view:

screenshot1_zps3984cab1.png

Top view:

screenshot2_zpsae755b34.png

Rear view:

screenshot3_zps022b0cb6.png

Record run:

BillKermanpilotstheSpeeDmontestplanetoamaximumrecordspeedof21131msatamaximumsub-orbitalaltitudeof32000m_zpsbc96750b.png

Edited by darkstrike

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.