What KSP has done for me

KvickFlygarn87

This game. Call it what you want, learning tool, game, simulator, lifestyle. It's beautiful. I love every single aspect of it.

Before I started playing KSP, I had no idea what an apoapsis was. For all I knew, the mechanics of Star Wars were 97% accurate. I know better now. I wouldn't want the game to have surrealistic orbital mechanics, not for a second. The game's learning curve (or rather, learning wall) is a great deal of its charm. If it was easy, what sense of accomplishment would it give to go to the Mun for the first time, how proud would you be the first time you dock? It's not that it's hard, it's that it's mentally, physically and emotionally demanding. And when you do manage to land on the Mun, you just want to scream "YEAH BABY YEAH" and go hit a bottle of champagne.

But you can't! The little guys depend on you - your trip has made you bond with little Jergas, Billy-bobler and Obzor. You can't just leave them there! Every time I crash a vessel, killing all crew, I feel guilty. Guilty because they had friends, wives and kids! I care about them, because they're living beings!

And the graphics are awesome - not like realistic (they are, but that's not the reason), but because they just look super cool. The Joolrises on Laythe are breathtaking, and reentering makes you look 105% badass.

The game knows how to catch your attention - when docking you are in Zen Mode. It's you, the hab module and the station. Nothing else exists at that time.

Then there's the devs. They're totally badass, Devnote Tuesdays are my all-favourite day of the week. And they are so nice, when I read this I almost shed a tear. I can only imagine what being that kid is like, getting a signed shuttle, and even being featured in an article! I would just like to give massive kudos to both him and the devs!

What I also love about the devs is that they're so open about the development; you don't see that a lot.

I think KSP has turned me into a better, smarter and generally more awesome person.

This is my 1000th post on this forum, and I wanted to spend it on something special. This wall of text was the result.

Rasmus Beck, signing off.

Without KSP, I would not have been inspired to study science and mathematics to become an astronaut in the future, even though I am quite aware of what grizzly deaths my Kerbals have suffered in the process of conquering space.

There's been very few games which have captured my attention as much as KSP. I play almost daily. The shiny newness has wore off and I may not play for long at a time, but it still drags me in and with every update I get a new fervor for playing. Squad has truly made something amazing. Now if I could figure out how to build a real rocket and real the moon, life would be perfect.

Im very grateful to Squad and KSP, not only have they produced a great game (only to get better!) but they have opened up many aspects of physics and orbital mechanics that i'd have never known otherwise.

Now, im not saying 'Oberth effect', 'Gimbal', 'Delta V' and 'Aerobrake' etc etc, are words i use everyday, but at least i know them, can talk about them, and its something new i can be interested in. :3

Well said. The only thing I'd add is a big round of applause for the best online community ever. Grats on 1000th post!

Thank you very much! Also, yeah, I wanted to add something about that but my hands were already hurting. I had several drafts, you know!

KSP has also changed my life. I mean, I was always interested in science and all and remember the Space Shuttle launches when I was younger, and used to read some books about the solar system, but KSP has taught me how it all works, and has emerged me deeper than ever before into the vast world of science. I've been asking "the big questions" since I starteds playing KSP. About how living things are even, well alive. What science has done for humanity, what reality is (and I'm sure other KSP'ers also think about this stuff as well).

I also had somewhat severe anxiety which led me into problems with school and grades, and overall well being. I won't say more than that because I don't feel comfortable doing so, but KSP kept my mind sharp throughout, no matter what I went through (and yes, I'm much healthier now thanks to good doctors and treatment).

To become an aerospace engineer and work at NASA is my goal, and hopefully I can reach it! Many thanks to Squad and KSP. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.