The ARM megathread

KvickFlygarn87

I think one of my big points of excitement for this update is the (hopeful) improvement of orbital accuracy. In the current version, if you try to rendezvous in solar orbit, the other vessel begins jumping by tens of kilometers at a time when you attempt to warp. It's presently virtually impossible to perform a precise rendezvous with something that's not a planet.

Hopefully this increase of precision also means better behavior of orbits in the Jool system. At present there seems to be a... "ghost" period, as you transition between SoIs, where your orbit moves in all sorts of weird ways. We'll see if that's fixed, as well...

My prediction for ARM is Tomorrow afternoon, because since I started playing KSP releases have happened on Tuesday afternoon... It comes in the form of a DevNote that says something to the effect of "Why are you reading this when you could be playing version .xx"

So now that that is out of the way, what I want to know is this.... Unity five announced and includes 64bit support, I wonder if Squad had access to Unity5 during the ARM development, and could get 64bit KSP working for ARM or if we will be waiting till 0.24 for that? Finally though... some motion on 64bit!

"Unity 5, the latest version of the popular game development engine, was unveiled at the Game Development Conference in San Francisco today. The new update will include big updates to Unity’s audio and lighting tools and 64-bit engine support, according to Unity Technologies. Unity 5 will be available for pre-order starting today, and is accompanied by a trailer featuring lots of flashy light rendering and a wub-wub distortion soundtrack."

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/03/18/unity-5-unveiled-at-gdc-2014/

My prediction for ARM is Tomorrow afternoon, because since I started playing KSP releases have happened on Tuesday afternoon... It comes in the form of a DevNote that says something to the effect of "Why are you reading this when you could be playing version .xx"

You just blew my mind... Now that I think about it, if I remember correctly, that's true

Edited by tstehler1
Removed some leftover bits of unwanted BBCode

So now that that is out of the way, what I want to know is this.... Unity five announced and includes 64bit support, I wonder if Squad had access to Unity5 during the ARM development, and could get 64bit KSP working for ARM or if we will be waiting till 0.24 for that? Finally though... some motion on 64bit!

"Unity 5, the latest version of the popular game development engine, was unveiled at the Game Development Conference in San Francisco today. The new update will include big updates to Unity’s audio and lighting tools and 64-bit engine support, according to Unity Technologies. Unity 5 will be available for pre-order starting today, and is accompanied by a trailer featuring lots of flashy light rendering and a wub-wub distortion soundtrack."

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/03/18/unity-5-unveiled-at-gdc-2014/

Doubtful, they apparently have Unity 4.6 scheduled for release this summer. The released version is currently at 4.3 (surprising how much they schedule ahead of time), and it stands to reason that U5 won't come for a while after that. So, certainly nothing in any sort of near term would be done for KSP with U5.

Unity support of 64 bit engines /= stable KSP releases.

For all the talk, the linux64 version of KSP issued by squad is NOT stable and requires some fiddling to correct several known errors across multiple releases (see the linux support thread(s)). Given that precedent, Unity5's abilities are no indication of a 64bit release anytime soon.

Oh no, I meant the ARM would be next Tuesday. Unity 5 I don't expect for months xP

So now that we've had a chance to see how the new asteroid tracking works, what do you guys think are the prospects for the return of Ye Olde Magic Boulder?

Doubtful, they apparently have Unity 4.6 scheduled for release this summer.

Bah, I had such a great fantasy there, and you come around with your 'Facts' messing it all up :D

And I predict more likely it'll be next Tuesday afternoon. One day isn't generally enough to catch a good portion of the bugs, even with the popularity of this patch.

you're making an assumption that the media folks only had it today... I think thats a bad assumption. I don't believe for a moment that danny screened, post edited, etc his video in less than 12 hours. He would have needed time with the parts to get the ideas for the funny stuff, and so on... he's had it for days at least and probably longer.

I suspect they have had it for a while now and were under NDA until todays event. I'm sticking with my Tuesday the 25th (tomorrow) prediction.

Oh no, I meant the ARM would be next Tuesday. Unity 5 I don't expect for months xP

So now that we've had a chance to see how the new asteroid tracking works, what do you guys think are the prospects for the return of Ye Olde Magic Boulder?

I wasn't talking about the tuesday thing. I was referring to this: "I wonder if Squad had access to Unity5 during the ARM development, and could get 64bit KSP working for ARM or if we will be waiting till 0.24 for that?"

...forgive me if someone already said this and I missed it, or I just sound like a butt, but isn't this thread already a thread? As in that sticky one that says "The ARM Megathread?"

I don't get what you mean, there is only one "ARM Megathread," it was stickied earlier today.

Also, I hope the Magic Boulder was re-added, it was kinda like an asteroid, right?

Something I want to know:

If I have a ship with a CLAW on it, and that ship activates the CLAW… can I switch to another ship and impale it upon the first ship's CLAW and have it grab? Or will it only grab if the ship with the CLAW is the active ship?

Something I want to know:

If I have a ship with a CLAW on it, and that ship activates the CLAW… can I switch to another ship and impale it upon the first ship's CLAW and have it grab? Or will it only grab if the ship with the CLAW is the active ship?

Danny to the rescue! This video of his perfectly shows off what you are asking. (assuming kerbals count as ships)

http://youtu.be/X7-l6Y9obdc?t=51s

Which are on rails and thus can't crash with anything

The asteroids are not on rails. That would defeat the purpose of being having an Asteroid REDIRECT Mission.

In theory they could self capture, chances are not good though.