The ARM megathread

KvickFlygarn87

Anyone know if the KSP debs will ever work (release anything) on weekends?

I know that they've done one point-release on a Saturday, but that was because there was a serious bug in a release on the preceding Thursday (maybe Friday).

I've never seen a major update on a weekend.

Aww. Part of me is actually disappointed. I liked the idea of kerbals considering four rotations of their planet one calendar day.

Well, it is optional, so you can keep the current behavior.

My experience is pretty limited, only 0.20, 0.21 and 0.22, so it likely is slightly more spread out! Recently, I think the earliest was 6pm GMT and the latest was around 8:30pm GMT

You tripleposted, the edit button is there for a reason.

Also c-c-c-c-c-c-combobreaker.

Edit: Double ninja!? Poop.

Edit2: Pockrt: Steam change log, http://steamdb.info/changelist/449201/

I know double and triple posting is a faux pas but edit doesn't seem to work in my mobile app. So just accept this fourth post as an apology.

Another upload to steam is happening atm. So it looks like there is an active back-and-forth ongoing between developers and testers today. Hopefully that means smaller issues are being squashed, rather than game-shattering bugs that wouldn't cycle so quickly. (I'm on lunch break atm ... maybe i go home early).

So 3 mins ago it changed,

Taken from steamDB

220201/encryptedmanifests/experimentals/encrypted_gid: * hidden *

220201/maxsize: 1607620627 › 1607622163

branches/experimentals/buildid: 224261 › 224307

Guys, the number, frequency, and time of uploads to Steam is completely useless information that means NOTHING to anybody but the testers.

There could be 3 updates between now and release, or 3,000. We have no way of knowing. You're just spamming this thread with useless junk.

Guys, the number, frequency, and time of uploads to Steam is completely useless information that means NOTHING to anybody but the testers.

I disagree. The fact that these are going to experimentals does mean something. It means they are sending material to the testers, that testing of new builds is ongoing. Total silence, no new material for the testers, would mean something more significant is wrong. Shifts back to scratchpad would also point to greater problems. As happened last week, such a shift meant a longer delay than we were all expecting at the time.

And this is an internet forum. It's not like we are sending email to people's phones while they are at work.

In answer to below, the reason asteroid are not in new saves may be a function of how games are saved. Savegame files might include statements listing where/how asteroids are scheduled to appear. Old saves might lack this data, disabling roid spawning.

Edited by Sandworm

I just have one question: Is there a reason for asteroids not spawning in old saves? When I think about it I don't really see why... It sounds like this can probably be fixed manually by copy and pasting things, but I was just wondering why the game cant do this itself (I remember several updates when something new was added to the persistent files and the saves did not break, instead the game just added the missing info).:P

I just have one question: Is there a reason for asteroids not spawning in old saves? When I think about it I don't really see why... It sounds like this can probably be fixed manually by copy and pasting things, but I was just wondering why the game cant do this itself (I remember several updates when something new was added to the persistent files and the saves did not break, instead the game just added the missing info).:P

The reason might be that asteroids may be a configurable option and old saves just happen to have that option set to off. But we will know better when it is released.

The reason might be that asteroids may be a configurable option and old saves just happen to have that option set to off. But we will know better when it is released.

That actually makes sense (I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case), but I guess there could be another reason.

That actually makes sense (I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case), but I guess there could be another reason.

Definitely. I am curious what we'll find out when it is released.

That makes no sense, why wouldn't the game be able to flip an option?

E: I mean, unless the save file format has drastically changed there should be no real issue updating old saves to handle the new asteroid code.

Edited by regex

You can't switch a save from Career to Sandbox. Maybe that's how it works.

I'm sure there's a way to do that, the save file is basically just XML. The question really is "has anyone written code to do that and how tough would it be?". In which case it comes down to a matter of programming time.

I'm sure there's a way to do that, the save file is basically just XML. The question really is "has anyone written code to do that and how tough would it be?". In which case it comes down to a matter of programming time.

My plan is to open up the saves and do a comparison ASAP, and figure out what the new bits are. Unless they have radically changed the save files, it shouldn't be hard to replace the parts that are necessary to get it working.

You can't switch a save from Career to Sandbox. Maybe that's how it works.

I did this to my main save when science came out. It was a bit tricky, but possible.

Currently, the main difference between a career and sandbox save is the info for the R&D building.

This is what it is in a new save:

}
SCENARIO
{
name = ResearchAndDevelopment
scene = 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
sci = 0
Tech
{
id = start
state = Available
part = Engineer7500
part = EngineerChip
part = EngineerChipFlight
part = mk1pod
part = liquidEngine
part = solidBooster
part = fuelTankSmall
part = trussPiece1x
part = longAntenna
part = parachuteSingle
}

(This is the bit to paste into the save)

This fits underneath the "ProgressTracking" part. Again, this example is taken from a fresh install. In an existing save, the number of wiggly bracket things will vary. The trick is to look carefully, and keep it lined up with the other Scenario bit.

}
SCENARIO
{
name = ProgressTracking
scene = 5, 7, 8
Progress
{
}
}
SCENARIO
{
name = ResearchAndDevelopment
scene = 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
sci = 0
Tech
{
id = start
state = Available
part = Engineer7500
part = EngineerChip
part = EngineerChipFlight
part = mk1pod
part = liquidEngine
part = solidBooster
part = fuelTankSmall
part = trussPiece1x
part = longAntenna
part = parachuteSingle
}
}
FLIGHTSTATE

In a moded save, you may get other things like your scansat and kethane data before the flightstate data.

The R&D data still goes under the ProgressTracking data. You'll probably be fine if you just paste it into place, but again it's best if you check to make sure everything is lined up.

Lastly, there are some more cosmetic changes to made.

In the persistent file, sandbox saves have (SANDBOX) after their name, and career mode saves have (CAREER).

This doesn't seem to do much, but it's there, so it must have a point.

version = 0.23.0
Title = Insertnamehere (CAREER)
Description = No description available.
Mode = 1
Status = 1
scene = 5
flag = (whereyourchosenflagis)

Also, notice the "Mode" bit.

Setting this to "1" makes the game display the career mode icon when loading from the resume save window.

"0" gives you the Sandbox icon. "3" seems to be used in tutorials.

Remember, always make a copy of the persistent file first, incase something goes wrong.

Edited by Tw1