The ARM megathread

KvickFlygarn87

There are apparently some changes coming that not everybody will like. For instance ion engines are getting thrust boost.

I think you miss heard, ant engines (lv-1) are getting a boost, I don't recall anything saying ion engines were getting a boost....

But we had big parts in mods like KW just alright before..?

Is there any problems with KW parts? I don't think so. The asteroid redirect mission, though, needs to be playable (and enjoyable) without installing any mods, so if powerful parts were needed, they had to be added to the stock.

It's also possible that their NASA contract required them to add parts with certain specific properties which might have not matched.

And plain copying what is in mods might get them into "intellectual property" problems as well.

I'm pretty sure they said this is part of the 0.24 update/upgrade. I think C7 stronger joints was possible due to a Unity update, and therefore it seems more likely to be part of the next full update, not the ARM mission, which sounds to be just parts and asteroids.

The stronger joints need to be part of the ARM update, since those contain the massive new parts that would be impossible without the stronger joint tweak.

I've really been starting to want a folder system for ships, both in the VAB/SPH and the Tracking Station. Or at least a feature to "hide" specific flights persistently.

I vaguely recall reading something vaguely suggesting there was a rumor something akin to this will appear in the ARM patch.

The new size 3 parts, being "sold" by Maxmaps and Yargnit as being "Absolutely Gigantic" are kind of puny. I was expecting 5 or even 6 meter Saturn V-ish parts, but they look more like the 3.75 meter KW Rocketry parts. I was kind of expecting something new. Perhaps, though, with the new size 3 parts, KW Rocketry will make 5 meter parts that suit the role I hoped they would play in the ARM update, without having to use NovaPunch and it's oversized bunch of parts. THis new diameter still does not allow a proper scale Saturn V or even really that great a SLS replica, as they are only 1.25 meters larger diameter than the command module size.

I really was expecting something totally new, I am rather disappointed.

Not Lunar orbit, Earth orbit by gravity assist from the Moon.

If you're referring to NASA's plan, no: the plan is to put the captured asteroid into lunar orbit, where an Orion spacecraft is to rendezvous with it. Video here:

Putting the captured asteroid in Earth orbit would not only present a hazard to all spacecraft there (especially the ISS), but anyone with a nasty bent and the right tools could hijack the capture vehicle and threaten to crash it into a major population center. Better to put it "out of reach", so to speak.

Jeb: we have captured the asteroid and it is now deorbiting into kerbol

KSC: thats great jeb while you were gone we got hit by 30 larger asteroids

Jeb: *static*

Jeb: were they big explosions?

KSC: yea blew off half the planet

Jeb: *puts on sunglasses* Nice!

Edited by Tanner Rawlings

When I'm computing again (next week maybe!) I'm going to take one hundred of the new giant engines and them put them on a thing and launch it.
does the whackjob accept donations to his glorious cause?

Can someone post a pic of the SLS, I was watching the steam, but they only had it up for a minute... Also, my internet is so bad that i can only watch low quality, so didn't really get to see much.:(

What stream?

Can someone post a pic of the SLS, I was watching the steam, but they only had it up for a minute... Also, my internet is so bad that i can only watch low quality, so didn't really get to see much.:(

Is this what you mean?

7V1wW9F.png

Is this what you mean?

http://i.imgur.com/7V1wW9F.png

Yep, and I was trying not to be lazy by posting the picture myself, but you beat me to it... (I realized that I could just rewatch the stream):D

So, it looks like we have 2 new engines, a 3.75 meter fuel tank, an adapter, and a LES, nice! But no big SRBs...

And is it just me, or are there no actual engines on the escape tower?! (I don't see any) I guess safety is NOT first...

EDIT: Oh, and is that new smoke trail effects?

Edited by RocketPilot573

I did some quick and dirty measurements by drawing line segments over the image, and the ratio actually appears to be between 1.6:1 and 1.66:1 for the larger tanks compared to the 2.5m ones, making it 4.0m or 4.125m rather than 3.75m.

Edited by GusTurbo

Well, they also said that the size of the attach point corresponds to strength of the joint now but as far as I know it has been so for quite a while.

My information is coming from this "

" with Scott Manley and C7

C7 states "One of the updates to unity 4.3 is subtle. Previously you couldn't control both ends of the joint ...", the joint issue, to me, seems to very clearly be a Unity update issue allowing the physics engine update. I think I linked at around where C7 starts talking, but it's around 10:30.

They are discussing it immediately following bringing up ARM, though. So maybe the joint physics update is coming in 0.23.5 afterall.