The ARM megathread

KvickFlygarn87

I feel that the asteroid will have high impact tolerance regardless, but will be heavy(i mean come-on its huge!).

The idea of attaching parachutes onto it and landing it probably wont work because the Claw connections wont be very strong i assume. Add on how the Asteroid will be very heavy, it would make landing one extremely difficult. Possibly impossible if the claw connection is weakened by gravity, then trying to land it with parachutes would cause them to fail and let the asteroid crash.

Or they have near non existent tolerance when it comes to impacting the surface of a planet.

Or possibly both until atmospheric damage is implemented.

for control over how much you push the asteroid, you don't need to know the center of mass... all you need to know is the mass... this can be done mathematically by taking "speed = mass*acceleration" and reversing it to get the mass or "speed / acceleration = mass" though I'm not sure how you determine the acceleration, it would be a method. and after determining the mass, you accelerate to the required speed in relation to the asteroid...

(read "usage")

For the center of mass, this is not true, if anything, it's the other way around (though ideally you would know both so you could calculate DV or momentum etc etc...)

Otherwise, you could have uncontrollable rotation.

But for number two, where did you get that equation?

M*A=F, not V

F is in newtons, or kgm/s^2

speed (or velocity) is in m/s

taking your original equation is Kg (mass) * m/s^2 (acceleration) = kgm/s^2

Therefore, velocity is not involved with this equation, if you wanted velocity, you would also have a time variable in there.

Edited by The Silent Majority

Why are they starting the reveal marathon in the dead of night?

Your middle of the night is somebody else's afternoon. It's midnight EDT for me, but ten in the morning already at Baikonur. KSP has a large international community which always seems to get shafted on the timezone thing, so I suspect the 3AM start time is partly to include those East of the prime meridian.

Your middle of the night is somebody else's afternoon. It's midnight EDT for me, but ten in the morning already at Baikonur. KSP has a large international community which always seems to get shafted on the timezone thing, so I suspect the 3AM start time is partly to include those East of the prime meridian.

True, but there are some times to stream that can be a good time for more than just a few timezones. Like if the stream started at around 7-10 am (EDT), then if would be during the day for nearly everyone. Right?

And I don't get why Squad themselves would stream at this time...

Edited by RocketPilot573

True, but there are some times to stream that can be a good time for more than just a few timezones. Like if the stream started at around 7-10 am (EDT), then if would be during the day for nearly everyone. Right?

And I don't get why Squad themselves would stream at this time...

Yeah, Mexico City is Central time, which is the same time zone as me.

What good would a cable do on this mission?

Like the hook from KAS mod, a mobile connection like a cable would have created tons of more uses for the crawl.. Maybe in future :P