Docking Mode: Do you use it?

ddavis425

Do you use Docking Mode or Flight Mode for docking?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you use Docking Mode or Flight Mode for docking?

• Docking Mode
    • Flight Mode

Pull up a sandbag and sit down, swing the lantern and list' to a tale of old computy ... In days of yore we did learn to type and find all keys without lookin'. Typos there were a'pleny but we sorted 'em as we wan'ed. Then Apple hove inna view and said we had on'y one hand; t'other were fer the mouse. Well tha' was fine wi' cap'n hook and the lubbers but fer the rest is slowed us up rotten. Us 'as two 'ands - WASD is one (wi' QE I don't 'azard a doubt). Fer me t'other IJKL and HN betoo is narry a bother. Be it IJKL or 8426 'tis nothing but keys to who can. Who can will, however they will, and god bless the buggers behind.

[Hope this makes some sort of sense - I'm in an odd frame of mind, lol]

I changed my translation controls to the arrow keys and Rshift and Rctrl, and it works just as fine. I was too lazy to memorize the keys. Docking mode isn't that helpful since it just moves the translation controls and removes the rotation controls so...

I use it all the time for docking. If I need to rotate, I just press space to switch to rotation mode. One hand on the mouse for camera handlage, and the other on WASD for my translatizing and rotamation all in one place.

Never used it. Not even sure how to engage it.

The whole concept of having to switch between translation and rotation seems like a PITA, and having to press the same button as the one that stages your craft just seems like it's tempting disaster.

I always used chase mode and the IJKLHN keys, but the addition of the docking port alignment indicator mod seems to make the need chase mode irrelevant.

Docking mode for rovers, but otherwise, it's a "three hands on keyboard" scenario. Right hand balances between camera and the Translation keys, the left stays managing RCS, SAS, throttle, and pitch/yaw/roll. It's just smoother. I can quickly move in any direction I need to go, line up on my docking ports, grab my shiny orange tank of LV-N fuel, and skip off without much hassle.

Flight mode for docking, I find it much easer because if I want to rotate, I have to move my hand further, thus less chance of accidentally switching modes and rotating away from the docking port, it might also have somthing to do with how long you've been playing KSP, people before (IIRC) 0.18 learned to translate via HNJKIL and thus it has become muscle memory, if you started after 0.18, since you were still learning you would naturally be drawn towards the most logical and normal way to translate (WSAD), since it seems more natural.

QED

I have my keys rebound all different from stock, and for some reason I can't seem to use the docking controls while in staging mode so I'm forced to use docking mode. I don't like it, since I use separate keys for translation anyway, but either way its a case of been there done that so nowadays I just pack plenty of RCS fuel and let MJ deal with the tedium.

Usually, I find it easier to tap delete, switch to docking mode and keep my hands where they were before on the keyboard. Also, really helps when your laptop doesn't have a numberpad.

I also had no idea what docking mode did until I already had enough successful rendezvous...s under my belt that it seemed pointless to switch. Though I do like the sound of using it for rover control. Maybe that's why my rovers are always such unmitigated disasters.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.