B9 5.0 pre-release (with download)

K3-Chris

I think the shorter windows look better because they have that cap on top, evoking a wrap around look.

I don't care much for the small inset windows as they are, they don't seem structurally required next to the much longer main windows and if there is to be a strut I hope it to be out of the way and put up high where the windows take a sharp diagonal. The white breakup pillar is a nice touch, but the notch taken out of the heat tile where the inset window is really strong and pulls the eye to it. It might be better if the lower left corner of the large triangle window could be cut like the side window next to it instead.

You know what, pictures > words

2nnvz08.png

I may have gone overboard

Edited by Read have Read

I used your big crew transport part on my last ship and I have to say I'm a fan. The IVA is great... although it could use an air stewardess.

As an aside... I was wondering what folks' experience has been with vessels carrying many Kerbals. I regularly have instances where I'm using 300-400 parts with no real lag but my quite small crew transport with about 25 kerbals was producing noticeable lag last night. Is the game loading the IVA and all those demonstrative gurning kerbals even when you are not in it or something?

No IVAs are instanced, shouldn't affect your performance overly, I think the portraits are only rendered 3 at a time etc and might even be baked somehow to not actively render the IVA.

I'm still working on this btw, just got no nice screenshots to show of atm, doing mostly pretty boring under the hood stuff like proper b9 integration, detail work in the HL IVA trying to make the internal geometry neat and with textures that make sense, figure out the props, making more props etc.

Cheers... requires further investigation on my part, clearly. Only other new stuff I was using was Baha's retractable engines and RCS but I cannot see that being a factor. I'd say it was a cumulative memory issue given all the mods I'm using (listed in sig link) but, curiously, I can switch to a different ship in the same instance and the lag disappears. I'm not convinced KSP is very smart about what it loads and when.

KSP .24 just hit experimentals (again) meaning .24 will be out in x days/weeks stepping up the development speed a couple notches to make sure my contributions to B9 are ready, and prioritizing parts to make sure I at least get some parts completed, S3 will have to take a back-seat sadly in favor of the HL cockpit/IVA, I want to polish it up for release before I go back to the S3, I should be able to at least give a polished S3 exterior for next B9 release, IVA takes a lot longer than exterior.

Some progress pictures of the HL IVA:

Fj1AMrl.png

u0HRYOO.png

Roof geometry is pretty wonky still but I'm making progress on the texture, third seat's control console is proving a bit tricky due to there being no segment of the texture large enough to span it, need to figure something out.

Oh and ladder:

GwJc0Pa.png

Only enough down there to look like there is a room down there when looking from all available viewing angles (3 kerbals, windows).

Edited by K3|Chris

Hello! (This is my first post...)

Great parts. They do cause a bit of a framerate drop, however. It seems to be mostly due to having a large number of kerbals in IVA at once, but the 2m cabin causes more slowdown than the 6m one. Not sure if that's just because it's more detailed.

Looking forward to the lower capacity 6m cabin with beds, etc. Keep up the good work!

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong here, but...

The 6m S2 crew tank wasn't showing up in the VAB. I opened the part.cfg and changed the "category" from -1 to 2 to match the Mk2 crew pod's cfg, and that got it to show up. But in-game I can't right click and do anything, like open the shutters on the windows.

EDIT: Disregard this, managed to figure it out.

Edited by Cashen

Any chance of another prerelease?

Also with firespitters texture switching it could be possible to make a clone of the existing texture but with different shuttle names on the side. FusTek station has two separate textures on the modules. One for the module itself, one for the module's logo which differentiates it between habitation, utility, logistics etc. So like that only one small texture would be required to edit.

Also, it seems the modified S2 cockpit is incompatible with RPM v0.17, though all the other standard B9 pods seem to work just fine.

EDIT: This may actually be a problem with MFD, though it's weird that all the unmodified B9 IVAs work fine with RPM v0.17

Edited by Cashen

Trying to make that happen, it's a lot of work to polish it all up and integrate it properly into B9 and we don't yet know what stuff works and what doesn't after .24 is released.

Cashen: .17 changes the paths and names of all RPM stuff, RPM includes the RPM:ified versions of the older b9 IVAs, it doesn't include the changes to my IVAs, it's a simple find and replace job to fix it, but I'm focused on making a release ready version for .24

GameData\K3\B9S2Extended\K3_S2_Extended_RPM.cfg:

replace all "RasterPropMonitorExampleMFD"

with "RasterPropMonitorBasicMFD"

Edited by K3|Chris

*snip*

That looks like a practically complete HL cockpit :D

EDIT: I'm guessing the existing cockpits will be going over to those monitors, too? If so, please can the S2 have more than one functioning monitor?

Edited by SufficientAnonymity
one other thing...