B9 5.0 pre-release (with download)

K3-Chris

habitations are something of an issue, since 12 kerbals is the maximum you can have in an IVA before fps drops through the floor.

We talked about this earlier in the thread, you can have a mis-match of the number of kerbals in the IVA and in the part (can have 100 kerbals in the part, 8~ in the IVA or whatever) the way to make that less obvious is to make the IVA a small room of a larger construct, and you can see more rooms nearby, but you can't see the kerbals inside from your vantage point if that makes sense, it's like a cabin/sleeper train, you have your room and you can see other rooms, but you can't see the people necessarily from inside your room, gives the illusion of all the rooms having people inside.

If I had the assets I could even make fake kerbals in the distance, they wouldn't move obviously though, but if you saw them from behind at a distance with a chair blocking most of them etc I don't think them being stationary would be an issue, if they were close by and you saw their face it would be obviously.

Can even make it more than one room, can make it 2-3 with a couple kerbals each.

Can also enforce the idea of being inside something large with stuff like a emergency escape route map, show a silhouette of the external part with internal floors and rooms inside and ofc the route through the interior to one of the airlocks (which would be there on the external model). Map would show a different "you are here" marker for each room, and different routes.

Can also have a number near the door denoting which # room it is, one room can be near the top (number of kerbals the part stores / kerbals per room) and the other 2 can range that span.

Benefit of a layout like that is that it can be re-used between different HX parts, just need to adjust the map really.

Edited by K3|Chris

Uh ... you caught a big typo! Seriously, I'm not sure what happened there - the HPD1 should have been 26 tons, not 105. No idea what happened there, but I'll push a fix soon.

Guess that'll learn me to input values at 3am.

Huh? :confused:

So I downloaded this, think I put everything in the right place and now KSP crashes on startup.

Am I missing something or did I do something wrong?

Are you using other mods? Have you installed Active Texture Management? If not, do so.

How is the final release coming up? Are we talking a month, weeks or days to it?
BLOCKING ISSUES

• issue #53: SABRE FX pass
  • issue #70: CDP Docking node colliders

Soon

Really, 10 characters after that? really? :<

As per bac9's suggestion I've modified the textures of the MFD:

Now the back of the buttons are colored instead of the icons for better visual clarity.

At least 3x easier to read from before. I can glnce intead of having to stare at the button to read it.

Whites of the buttons needs a bit of a boost, working on it, a bit annoying how materials work in KSP at times, make something pure white and make it specular and tada it's light gray.

And done:

dsXwPSTl.png

Committed to repo, re-install to get it in-game.

My official head-canon for how those buttons are constructed is as follows:

Outer metal rim internal clear plastic core with one or more white LEDs and some diffusion layers, layer of frosted white plastic on the front with a near opaque colored layer on top of that with cut-outs for the text, icon and white border.

There are a bunch of tweaks I want to make to the MFDs in the future but most of which I need to ask the RPM author about, specifically only turning on the orange lines between the screen and buttons if that button is active, possibly dimming the buttons themselves as well, I want the buttons to depress when pushed as well, and possibly peak their emissive a bit when pushed as well. I can do that now but it would involve animating all of them separately, which... I don't want to do. 24 animations... ouch.

Edited by K3|Chris

I'm not expecting much out of what I'm going to ask, but here it goes. Is it possible to create a new winglet using the two existing designs? I'm talking about the two where one of them is static except for a flap while the other one is the entire control surface. Basically what I'm aksing for is a combination of both, where setting the trim moves the entire surface and using control inputs uses only the flap, like the trim on airliners adjusts the entire horizontal stabilizer while leaving the full range of motion of the elevator untouched with respect to the trim.

I'm only asking because I use trim a lot and I end up with controls that are not sensitive enough in one direction and too sensitive in the other direction. (I love building and flying airliners in KSP, though using a full set of flaps produces a fair amount of downward pitch so I need to compensate with about 7-8 degrees of elevator-up, which leaves me with only about that much more to pitch up while pitching down is too sensitive when I have three times as much control authority)

Perhaps a possible idea for the future? Anyways, I love your work and B9 has been and is my #1 mod tied with FAR for as long as I can remember, keep it up!

Seem to remember some talk about HX-style bridge / cabin parts a while back. Dunno if this is helpful, but it seems to me that the HX end piece already kind of looks like a bridge...Maybe you could just texture the bit crudely outlined below as glass? Could do something similar with the other end piece. Just a thought, am sure you already have ideas of your own:

HXbridge.png