B9 5.0 pre-release (with download)

K3-Chris

Seem to remember some talk about HX-style bridge / cabin parts a while back. Dunno if this is helpful, but it seems to me that the HX end piece already kind of looks like a bridge...Maybe you could just texture the bit crudely outlined below as glass? Could do something similar with the other end piece. Just a thought, am sure you already have ideas of your own:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/HXbridge.png

Yeah I had pretty much the same idea, though I think I'll extend the glass covered portion sideways a bit to look a bit like the bridge of a cruise ship, task that covers this on the repo.

I'm not expecting much out of what I'm going to ask, but here it goes. Is it possible to create a new winglet using the two existing designs? I'm talking about the two where one of them is static except for a flap while the other one is the entire control surface. Basically what I'm aksing for is a combination of both, where setting the trim moves the entire surface and using control inputs uses only the flap, like the trim on airliners adjusts the entire horizontal stabilizer while leaving the full range of motion of the elevator untouched with respect to the trim.

I'm only asking because I use trim a lot and I end up with controls that are not sensitive enough in one direction and too sensitive in the other direction. (I love building and flying airliners in KSP, though using a full set of flaps produces a fair amount of downward pitch so I need to compensate with about 7-8 degrees of elevator-up, which leaves me with only about that much more to pitch up while pitching down is too sensitive when I have three times as much control authority)

Perhaps a possible idea for the future? Anyways, I love your work and B9 has been and is my #1 mod tied with FAR for as long as I can remember, keep it up!

In short, no, trim controls the same control surface as your inputs do, in the long run? possible, it would require some mod to add that functionality.

How do I change an item's subtype? For instance the mk2 fuselage fuel types. I've tried right clicking the item, ctrl+click, basically everything. Nothing happens. Help pls.

Did you install firespitter that came with the mod? It's what does the part switching, I'm pretty sure you didn't install all the folders to the right locations, extract the zip in the KSP folder, not gamedata

Just here to say this dosent work with 64-bit KSP. Just sayin.

Read OP?

How do I change an item's subtype? For instance the mk2 fuselage fuel types. I've tried right clicking the item, ctrl+click, basically everything. Nothing happens. Help pls.

Make sure you're running KSP 0.24.2, 32-bit, that the version of firespitter is the one we provided, and try it without any other mods. There's a list of mods in the wiki which need to updated by their authors can can cause problems right now.

Just here to say this dosent work with 64-bit KSP. Just sayin.

See the OP. X64 is not supported.

As it was requested a lot, size 3 HX hangar now has separately configurable structural supports - you can remove them or choose on of three types for them.

There are new context menu options for that after you right click.

Edited by bac9

Woah, so that means people are generally always going to need the atm mod installed to run this? I had had hoped people with big rams could get by without it...

BTW, VERY nice mod, great to see new life coming into B9. Can't wait to build REALLY big SSTOs :D

Woah, so that means people are generally always going to need the atm mod installed to run this? I had had hoped people with big rams could get by without it...

x86 KSP is hard-capped at 3GB~ x86-64 KSP crashes on it's own with no mods for some people, works fine with a billion mods for other people, it's too random for us to officially support, if it works for you, great, if it doesn't, we can't help you, it's not B9 at fault. You can get 1GB back if you apply -force-opengl.

Remade that awesome ship from the OP. Took four hours but it was worth it :D

http://imgur.com/a/9MeBf

Woah, sweet ride man.

Edited by K3|Chris

You don't necessarily need to enable texture compression in ATM (just set the scale setting to 1, that disables it), but it's an absolute must have anyway. Even if you are not installing this mod at all, ATM is a must have. Stock game does something horrifyingly wrong with resource loading, and features of Active Texture Management mode like texture unloading and VRAM offloading free up enormous amounts of memory even if you are not compressing anything. The mod collection I used with x64 took 7 gigabytes of RAM and still crashed with out of memory errors, while with ATM memory use never peaked over 3.5gb and I have managed to play for three hours uninterrupted. Seriously, always use it until Squad will fix their stuff with loading (if they will at all).

Also, x64 seems to work fine for me. I'm not using opengl launch key and I'm using a few other mods, not sure why. It's disappointing to see that it does not work for everyone, users with enough memory should be able to run the game fine. Squad should give bigger priority to x64 stability for 0.25, I think, it's absolutely critical for modding support.

Also, x64 seems to work fine for me. I'm not using opengl launch key and I'm using a few other mods, not sure why. It's disappointing to see that it does not work for everyone, users with enough memory should be able to run the game fine. Squad should give bigger priority to x64 stability for 0.25, I think, it's absolutely critical for modding support.

Honestly I'm not sure it's something squad can fix, I think it's Unity, I crash on x64 with no mods entirely stock. And yeah ATM is a god-send.

They have a proper Unity license and support that comes with it, so they have means of working on the issue and bringing it to attention of people at UT even if the problems are not caused by the code on KSP side. Throwing hands in the air with "lol Unity not us" excuse is not a solution.

x86 KSP is hard-capped at 3GB~ x86-64 KSP crashes on it's own with no mods for some people, works fine with a billion mods for other people, it's too random for us to officially support, if it works for you, great, if it doesn't, we can't help you, it's not B9 at fault. You can get 1GB back if you apply -force-opengl.

Woah, sweet ride man.

Oh ok so it "might" work, but it's for each individual to test and the lack of support doesn't mean 64 bit is being avoided, it's just that you guys have no control over if it works at this time, right?

Yes, we can't fix x64 issues on our side. I suggest filing bug reports to Squad if you encounter them, especially if you encounter issues with x64 while playing stock game without mods.

Oh ok so it "might" work, but it's for each individual to test and the lack of support doesn't mean 64 bit is being avoided, it's just that you guys have no control over if it works at this time, right?

Exactly, we can't fix it if it crashes for you, it's not B9 at fault, it's Unity/KSP that either falls over on it's own or gets poked by the extra assets.

They have a proper Unity license and support that comes with it, so they have means of working on the issue and bringing it to attention of people at UT even if the problems are not caused by the code on KSP side. Throwing hands in the air with "lol Unity not us" excuse is not a solution.

Well no it's not, but we, as in you, me, tav can't really do anything directly, it's for squad/unity to sort out, and yes we might help with that indirectly, but there isn't a magic bullet to making KSPx64 + B9 5.0 never crash that we 3 can apply, asking the 3 of us to fix your x64 crash is quite pointless.

Edited by K3|Chris

Though frankly I think the 64bit build is a cop-out from squad, Unity supports dynamic asset loading, if Squad wanted to they could load game assets only as needed, no need to dump the entire game library to ram on start, only load what you need to start the game, then load assets as needed, and unload when no longer needed.

Only reason I've heard that might be hard is the part catalog and it's previews but it should be fairly simple to bake those images and turn-style view into animations, or load a lower resolution texture, there are ways to do it, and frankly I think it's a more sensible solution than "oh yeah, errm, lets just use all your ram if unity64bit plays ball *flips coin*" but it requires someone at squad implementing it.

Just a suggestion - the braces on hollow parts (pic) prevent creating long, open bays and whatnot where a very long object could enter/dock via the side(s). Would it be possible to have yet another mesh option on those without those bits, throwing structural strength to the wind, or would that be a gigantic pain?

HXbraces.png

How much info do we have with Linux KSP x64? I'm getting weird malfunctions. Specifically, what I'm getting is that if I install ATM, FAR and B9 v5 (latest as twelve hours or so back), either Xorg or my window manager (Cinnamon, on Linux Mint 16) begins using 2-300% CPU time in short bursts, and the entire operating system's graphics display become unresponsive. This can be when clicking 'start game' in the main menu - here it will freeze up just before the new menu is in place on screen, or after loading into a game and going to the tracking station. I'm not completely sure this is B9's fault - hell, I'm not sure it's not because my CPU is flaky - but I figured I'd ask, against the possibility anyone else has seen anything like it.