[Collection] Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau (SSPP 4.1 6/12/12)

Normak

Angara has been updated. The new version has a number of new parts to build a larger, more powerful lift system. SSPP update will have to be dealt with later, probably tomorrow. Sorry for the delays.

Edit: So I had some ideas about a week and a half ago that Cardboard and I discussed over Steam. We want to eventually make parts that will allow for the Munar landing of entire stations, and I proposed a plan that would involve mounting large fuel-containing structures onto trusses at each end of the station, allowing for four sets of engines or more would form the four legs of a table. That is to say that the engine would be flown and landed while horizontal, rather than vertical, and would land on these four sections like table legs. I then realized that once landed, a capsule on the side would be unable to launch away from the station, and I laughed it all off, saying I must be high on pixie dust. We would have to think of another way, and the vague and unsatisfying solution that we reached is that the station would have to be dropped from orbit, with MechJeb controlling the landing while the capsule performs its own, separately. We had no idea how this would work in practice, so we stopped talking about it. We may very well use the MechJeb solution at some point in the future, but until then, I have found the solution tonight. I present- the Ski Jump Launch.

kosmos%20landing%20concept.jpg

Either I\'m a Jeb-level genius at this point or my pixie dust just got knocked to the next level.

Anyway, this is not the immediate focus yet. First we have to develop landing equipment for the VA capsule and complete other station parts such as Salyut and the ISS modules. But one day, you might be Ski-jumping your way straight out of the Sea of Tranquility.

Guest cpt.armadillo

I used low res stuff. Won\'t show up IG. I extracted it into parts.

I looked into a part\'s folder, only found textures and mesh. No wonder.

IS it only a texture pack then, without functioning parts. MEaning I have to DL the full res texture parts too. =P

I used low res stuff. Won\'t show up IG. I extracted it into parts.

I looked into a part\'s folder, only found textures and mesh. No wonder.

IS it only a texture pack then, without functioning parts. MEaning I have to DL the full res texture parts too. =P

less drop box space wasted on our end :) sorry. it is a mere copy paste of 1 folder :/

and Normak can you steam me when one? :D

Is anyone else having trouble with the rocket bouncing around on the launchpad? I can only get a stable launch of the Angara about half the time.

put on four symmetry and attach the angara strut connectors from the tank tot he engine. This will give the engine a lot more structure and then it shouldn\'t do that as much. I attach every engine to the tanks with connectors. Makes rockets much more reliable and fly much straighter as the engines will not move on their joints.

as for the engines Yes. all engines will have shrouds. they are eject able but the user will be able to choose to not eject them simply by moving them to a different stage.

Also, in the next update engines will have sea level and vaccum thrusts. the RD-0124 is a considerably weak engine at sealevel because it has small chambers and large nozzles more suited for space. but it is well worth hauling to space because of it\'s low fuel use. but also the rd-191 gains more power the higher it gets. I think i have it set to 0once in 25% atmospheric pressure it will be at full power (which i have upped to 300 and reduced over all fuel use because of this)

screenshot103.png

BTW, are solar panels going to unfold correctly in the next release? There\'s a recently released plugin that could allow it.

Still, a set of dedicated skylab parts would be awesome.

Also, could you make some small remote control unit which would fit, for example, under the docking ring? I\'d like to be able to launch MIR modules indipendently, but I can\'t fit a normal CM on them in a way that would not make them look bad.