AbhChallenger here!

AbhChallenger

Hello folks! I am AbhChallenger (The Abh part is the race from the anime "Banner of the Stars" not the name of some game group)

I have been playing KSP for a few years now. However, I have been using Orbiter for almost a decade before that. So getting into orbit is not exactly a new thing for me.

I have been impressed at how quickly the game is developing. The fixes to physics is the main reason I expect to spend a GREAT deal of time in KSP after the ARM patch. And after that I look forward to what Unity 5 can bring to KSP.

Before anyone asks. Yes I do use MechJeb. The reason is I focus on efficient designs that do not waste fuel. I have no problem hand flying such designs into Orbit. (I did it plenty of times in Orbiter over the years) Yet it can get annoying and a waste of time if I am doing it over and over and over again. I hope you will respect that people have different playstyles and goals. (For instance I do not plan on using MJ for the true game mode that will be done hopefully before version 1)

So a big hello to everyone here!

Welcome! It seems like generally people here don't care if you use a mod like MechJeb. Everyone has their own way of playing and there is no right or wrong. That's one of the great things about KSP. You play it your way and do what you want.

I used to use MechJeb, but that was because I was terrible at everything and it helped me understand things better. Since I started career mode, I've gone completely stock and I've started to learn how to do the things I need to without MechJeb. I very well might go back to MechJeb in the future if I get sick of manually guiding certain maneuvers just to allow me to be a bit more distracted while I play. :)

Hello! The community is almost as awesome as the game itself; hopefully you'll enjoy it, too.

Regarding Mechjeb, I've seen a pattern to many players' behavior:

1) Start Playing KSP, fumble around, barely make orbit, start learning basics, get headache.

2) Discover Mechjeb, difficult tasks are handled by a button-press, start understanding how things work.

3) Remove Mechjeb, impress self with how much you can do without.

4) Reinstall Mechjeb for information and automation of repetitive tasks, feel pro.

Sounds like you're experienced enough that you jumped straight to (4). :)

Welcome to the forums! :) Glad to hear you've been enjoying yourself, and don't worry too much about the MechJeb / anti-MechJeb debates; in the end, it all really boils down to personal preference.

I've watched "Crest of the Stars" myself, but I have yet to watch any of the sequel series. How does "Banner" stack up compared to "Crest," in your opinion?

Hello! The community is almost as awesome as the game itself; hopefully you'll enjoy it, too.

Regarding Mechjeb, I've seen a pattern to many players' behavior:

1) Start Playing KSP, fumble around, barely make orbit, start learning basics, get headache.

2) Discover Mechjeb, difficult tasks are handled by a button-press, start understanding how things work.

3) Remove Mechjeb, impress self with how much you can do without.

4) Reinstall Mechjeb for information and automation of repetitive tasks, feel pro.

Sounds like you're experienced enough that you jumped straight to (4). :)

Sounds about right. Personally I hope KSP will adopt some aspects of MJ in the future. The changes to maneuver nodes in the ARM patch seem to be heading in the right direction.

Welcome to the forums! :) Glad to hear you've been enjoying yourself, and don't worry too much about the MechJeb / anti-MechJeb debates; in the end, it all really boils down to personal preference.

I've watched "Crest of the Stars" myself, but I have yet to watch any of the sequel series. How does "Banner" stack up compared to "Crest," in your opinion?

Both are amazing stories in my opinion. I recommend giving Banner of the Stars I and II a watch if you are ever able to.

Welcome to the forum! I am sure you will enjoy it here! I also started from orbiter as you did, It is quite fun aswell still nothing compared to KSP!

Well it is a bit apples to oranges. However, I am disappointed in the path Orbiter has taken. Even if it is a free simulator.