Build the Biggest Space Station

trbinsc

Sweet mother of god!!!!That\'d make for one hell of an explosion if it all went pear shaped,We DEFINETELY need Kerbal bunkers!

If you\'re talking about mine, it actually explodes in the same shape. Produces a decent mushroom cloud as well.

2W556.jpg

The launchpad is hidden under there somewhere. This was the moment I gave up on launching it.

Man, those are some amazing stations. All I\'ve got is this thing, but Longcraft is pretty long. Using the holographic measurer, it\'s just under 96 m long.

45wR8.png

Using the holographic measurer, its about 98m long. It is ultimately a cheatcraft with five million units of fuel, and millions of units of RCS fuel, and RCS and SAS have to be switched on upon loading to launchpad, or it will snap like a twig within seconds.

I originally built it to try to see if gravitational gradient stabilization was possible in Kerbal Space Program. I also built it several releases ago, and didn\'t know how to edit orbits back then. It also snaps like a twig when taken above 1/5 throttle, so flying it into orbit is a long and tedious process.

I tried to land it on the Mun once. http://imgur.com/a/U3rP0

And did take a craft to visit it when 0.14 released.

I don\'t know if there\'s a limit to how long you can make a spacecraft, but everything I\'ve built significantly longer than this on the pad has snapped under throttle.

[WIP] Kerbin conclave

The arms are 25m long, for a diameter of 52 meters. Central tower height of 42m. Powered by 2 3m nuclear reactor in the center with a total of 244 2m hab modules. 72 fully rotation railguns, 36 on each side of the disk. Don\'t mind the space debris, the station is perfectly stable. Getting it into orbit is the tricky part.

YuUBF.png

How do you get it into Orbit?

• 2 weeks later...

I have only made one station that made it into orbit and I\'m embarrassed to post it looking at these others. :o

8) Scratch that. My new Universia Sky is now in orbit. Designed to land on the moon (explaining the landing legs), this flying city is an absolute beast. The test vehicle only managed to get it into an oblong orbit, thus qualifying it as a space station.

Size (Extended):

X: 12 Meters

Y: 21 Meters

Z: 12 Meters

Screnshots:

9fGyM.png

Kniww.png

Guys, I made a space station for Mün orbit and then frapped the mission, on the way I got a bit carried away with and added some music (all nice and legal).

I posted it in GD but then I realised you had this mission going... so I thought I would link it here as well, for your convenience. Hope that is OK.

I am not sure how big the station is, big enough that I had to do a controlled drift at lift off to avoid hitting the gantry overhang!

Enjoy...

http://youtu.be/_OLuGzHlgp4

Guys, I made a space station for Mün orbit and then frapped the mission, on the way I got a bit carried away with and added some music (all nice and legal).

I posted it in GD but then I realised you had this mission going... so I thought I would link it here as well, for your convenience. Hope that is OK.

I am not sure how big the station is, big enough that I had to do a controlled drift at lift off to avoid hitting the gantry overhang!

Enjoy...

http://youtu.be/_OLuGzHlgp4

Is it just me....or does that SS look like the shimazu sign?

[WIP] Kerbin conclave

The arms are 25m long, for a diameter of 52 meters. Central tower height of 42m. Powered by 2 3m nuclear reactor in the center with a total of 244 2m hab modules. 72 fully rotation railguns, 36 on each side of the disk. Don\'t mind the space debris, the station is perfectly stable. Getting it into orbit is the tricky part.

YuUBF.png

LOL! Thats amazing! You should make a video of you getting one of those into orbit!

LOL! Thats amazing! You should make a video of you getting one of those into orbit!

I don\'t want to seem like a jerk but... IT TOOK INSTANT ORBIT TO GET IT THERE!!1!!!!1 ??? ??? ??? ??? ???.

Sorry, but it\'s already been explained at least twice. You can use IO, it\'s in the OP.

• 2 weeks later...

I present you the largest space station i put in orbit: Dedalus II.

Dedalus I was very unstable, so I made it bigger. 8)

It was put into orbit without the use of instant orbit plugins or persistence hack. I was a big, big wobbly rocket that put it in orbit.

l3aNFh.jpg

It was built with the help of Silisko\'s BACE parts.

Here\'s the rest of the photo shoot: http://imgur.com/a/1pPPl

It doesn\'t hold a candle to some of the other stations here, but these are the largest space stations I\'ve managed to muscle into orbit. They are identical, with one in LKO at 350KM, and the other at KSO. The hardest part was maintaining a 'clean' orbital environment. The lift vehicle and staging was designed to leave absolutely no hazardous debris orbiting the planet.

LKO1LaunchPad.png

On the launch pad

LKO1Kerbin.png

LKO 1 in Low Kerbin Orbit

KSO1OrbitalView.png

Map view of both space stations. Note the lack of debris in orbit.

KSS Station:

8x18x11

I built this before I saw this challenge but nonetheless I submitted it. I used parts from Nova Punch (rocket) and the BACE mod and Probodobodyne Mod (station).

It handled like a brick in orbit. (rcs ran out)

screenshot5.png

screenshot4.png

screenshot2.png

Not as weighty as the conclave, but I launched it without using unbalanced parts or instaorbit. And it\'s dimensions are technically larger than the conclave, also. Also, I launched it into solar orbit, not planetary orbit.

Dimensions: 59m x 52m x 52m, in a stable solar orbit.

It\'s not technically a standard space station. Like all my projects, it has a story. Without further ado, behold the PARALLAX 9000!

aBeeZ.png

It is a radio/optical telescope science vessel. The long arms give the sensor array better accuracy, and allow it to perform high-accuracy rangefinding via parallax. It has 5 telescope sub-arrays--one on each of the four radial arms and one in the central spire--each equipped with one Probodobodyne telescope and 4 radio receivers. It is actually designed to escape the solar system, so that it can do it\'s telescoping from outside the heliopause, way out in interstellar space with no solar wind or radiation to interfere. The hope is to try and detect extrasolar planets.

Here\'s the launch vehicle. 490,000 units of fuel, weighing in at 2000 tons (just the fuel tanks). At peak burn, it produces 60,000 units of thrust. It uses 7 of my 7x sunday-punch prometheus fuel tanks, and 49 of my 7x-vanilla-equivalent-LFE\'s (thus, being equivalent to 343 vanilla LFE\'s).

PYCr3.jpg

mYJkA.jpg

klKXD.png

ZUK0D.jpg

Once I escape Kerbin, I dump the outer LFE\'s and tanks, leaving just the central one (which I fired some time after launch, so that it would last longer). This is the 'space station' that will be making a half-revolution around Kerbol before rocketing off into interstellar space. Dimensions: 59m x 52m x 52m.

y1UAi.jpg

UEfmT.png

TG2IN.png

After that there is another liquid stage consisting of one sunday punch tank and one 7x-vanilla engine.

9qWCH.png

Then I drop that and ignite a nerva engine burning LH2. This is the final stage. The interstellar craft is smaller than the kerbol-orbiter, and is only 42m x 52m x 52m (so this part is smaller than the conclave). When I stopped burning, I still had half a large LH2 tank left.

gzdhp.png

Let\'s take a tour:

The crew quarters. Two bunk tubes and a common area. Serves a crew of 8.

YIMcV.png

The central subarray. One optical telescope and four radio dishes. This one can be used for either transmitting or receiving, to allow the ship to call home.

doQXZ.png

The end of one of the radial arms. Four solar arrays, two radiator arrays, one optical telescope, and four radio receivers.

ADZVB.png

ebF2g.png

dpt6h.jpg

HnL3b.png

The lab section is at the base of the central spire. Here is where the scientists work to gather, interpret, and analyze the data that comes in from the scopes.

gFcTE.png

Yeah, it\'s pretty big.

isjgI.jpg

Way out in the black.

7zSkm.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.