Hydrogen Blimp Rocket

HafCoJoe

I've always thought that rockets are inefficient because they are launched from low in the atmosphere. Also rockets use hydrogen and a LOT of it. So do blimps (some of them). The reason why rockets don't "float like balloons" is 1 they have far too much weight and 2 the hydrogen stored is in a liquid state (denser than air). I think I can get around both of these.

What if the hydrogen was stored in a giant balloon (and when I mean giant I mean giant) which would lift the balloon high into the atmosphere. When the hydrogen starts to expand too much, it can be compressed and then used as a propellant. Also you could even use the balloon as living space (if enough oxygen is present) and possibly even a parachute (maybe).

What are your theories on why or why not this would work?

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Sweet. I'll look into this. Another reason why it probably wouldn't work is it would take too much time and energy to compress the hydrogen back into a liquid for propulsion. Yeah I literally just thought of this last night with no prior look into. You all rock.

Later!

Sweet. I'll look into this. Another reason why it probably wouldn't work is it would take too much time and energy to compress the hydrogen back into a liquid for propulsion. Yeah I literally just thought of this last night with no prior look into. You all rock.

Later!

I was going to mention the time it would take to compress also.

You want to live in the balloon, in which BOTH hydrogen and oxygen present inside? Hmm...

Sort of gives "NO SMOKING" a whole new level, doesn't it?

Okay, why not have a big airship that launches a rocket from itself, a la SpaceShipOne?

Size of rocket, test it out in KSP with hooligan lab and the balloon with realistic lift. It works very well for small probes, even an small manned ship on Eve, note that on Eve the main issue is the thick atmosphere who helps you with lighter than air.

im imagining a mile long version of the hindenburg, with a rocket engine, and crew and their life support. it sounds like a recipe for boom.

Yeah me too xD and yes boom :D except ;.;

Also if it was a mile long (and it probably would) it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as a rocket.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.