MMmm, that new save smell. Who is starting over?

Xacktar

My intention was to wait until all the new contract stuff is added in 0.24 as it seemed pointless restarting twice in (what I hope will be) a few weeks. However Though I am able to build with the new parts (yet to spot an asteroid in my old save file, but that might be luck) I can't access the R+D Lab it just Says 'this facility is closed', as I have previously completed the tech tree this I more an inconvenience in the I-can't-view-the-science-log sense, But for this reason I suspect that a restart will be all but mandatory for those with incomplete trees (Though I've no idea how early/late in the tree the new parts fall so the severity of this issue is hard to gauge).

I will. I've put my .23 install separately and am doing a clean .23.5 install, so no old mods (not that I had many) or config tweaks. Said tweaks may be re-added if I find I need them, but I'd like to see if .23.5 has brought any performance improvements.

I think I'll make my new save a "Science Sandbox". Ie start a career save, but hack all the tech tree unlocked. Plays like a sandbox, but still lets me get SCIENCE!

I'm starting over again, just like I did when I jumped from 0.19 to 0.22 and then again to 0.23. This time I'm leaving a colony on Laythe, an operational Kethane mining infrastructure and refinery/refueling station around Minmus, and probes, flags and and an, um, "long duration solar orbit exploration mission" (*) in limbo, by far my most-played save.

(*) That's what I retroactively called my first crewed Moho mission when it turned out I had nowhere near enough dV to actually brake into Moho orbit. Oops. :)

Yes! I actually kind of like starting over. Lets you approach the game in new ways each time! :)

That is how I feel. Each time around I learn a little more, design a little differently. :)

*Shakes hand in the air and junms up and down*

OOOOH! ME! MEEE!

Already done a munar flyby in career mode. Also designed an Apollo-like mission.

I'm loving the new joint reinforcement! I can do stuff i would have needed oooodles of struts for before with none at all! It's also great for testing launch stages:

Bm96MQy.png

Should i redesign it? I dunno, it's just so fun to watch! :)

I will definitely be starting over. New version, new save. I will salvage my favourite craft files from my old save and bring them into the new one though. Since I mostly play in Sandbox, I don't feel like I've lost anything by starting again. Building the ships is the best part of the game for me anyways.

I just captured an asteroid, and didn't even have to use any mods to build the ship, which is good since my version Engineer did not like the new engines. I might see how far I can get without any mods, just for a change of pace.

Not me 100% Stock career. With stations around all planets & bases on each moon/ bar tylo noway I'm I starting over !!!

Cant wait for kiddy bed time to download and get me some space rock.

Mmm I wonder If I can turn one into a midway station ??? :sticktongue:

Yes! I actually kind of like starting over. Lets you approach the game in new ways each time! :)

Me too! I am not using Steam so I have to download a new version for every release. I keep each version separate from the others, and always start clean: no saves, no mods, and no ships carried forward. Its like a whole new game, except for what I learned from the previous versions. Its lots of fun and I really enjoy it.

Assuming I can save my.23 save, I'll probably wait until .24 since all the SLS parts are at the end of the tech tree. I'm just now getting consistent on interplanetary flights, so I'll probably wait until contracts or budgeting alter the core mechanic of career mode before working a new save.

Well I had so much going on, the Armada on its way to Moho, the Eve Lander just fuelled up in LKO waiting for a 2nd orange tank Nuke Tug, since I was able to make the save work, then get my standard Earth Time clock back, I have every thing I need to continue my Space Race to finish the tree and tour the Kerbosphere in the minimum time required. When I launch my Joolian Armada, I think I will include a probe to do a Kerbol close pass then run to Kerbol escape at the highest speed possible (for fun). I might even go with a two part ship for that with a manned component that will do an ultra high eccentricity orbit to return to Joolian SOI (and eventualy Kerbin) and an unmanned probe to do the high energy escape (say a full orange tank and nuke engine around kerbol and an ion engine to see just how fast and far a probe can go).

I AM ABSOLUTELY LOVING PERSISTENT MANEUVER NODES!

I know I'm starting a new career save to check out everything with new eyes. Who else is starting over again now that we have new parts and new mechanics? What will you be doing different this time?

I've restarted so many times, I will not do it with this update because there isn't really any reason to -- I looked at where the new parts were added to the tech tree in my existing/grand career save and they are fairly deep. I will start over for .24 though.

Apparently one of the last changes made was modifying the game so that asteroids and other things should also work when you're using an old save!

Thanks. I'm still planning on returning all Kerbs and "Spectacularly De-Orbiting" all craft to start afresh. Mainly because some of the new parts will make most designs obsolete. That and I've only been doing sandbox, I'm due a proper mission/SP mode.

Nah, scratch that. I've got too many cool Kerbals waiting at Jool for some landers and space stations. I'll bring some over to them... plus possibly a big rock or two.

Edited by Technical Ben

I killed everything last night while playing, and had launched the game itself instead of the launcher, so I missed out on the update.

downloading at work now and will be applying tonight.

Looking forward to the new maneuver controls, etc.

It's exciting! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.