[1.2.1] Taurus HCV - 3.75 m CSM System [v1.5.3 - July 1, 2014]

bsquiklehausen

Center of mass of Taurus pod is too high. I use FAR and capsule re-enters front end first. Reaction wheels have not enough torque to turn capsule and even if they had, capsule do not have enough electricity for whole re-entry time.

I opened part.cfg but could not find center of mass. Should I change every Y-coordinate or is there command for moving center of mass?

Hi Hannu -

We're looking into an adjustment for the Center of Mass, but until then, I'd suggest to just use the heatshield as well as the capsule to lower the center of mass of the re-entry package.

We're looking into an adjustment for the Center of Mass, but until then, I'd suggest to just use the heatshield as well as the capsule to lower the center of mass of the re-entry package.

OK. I had a heatshield but I decreased that protection material to about 1/4 of full value because FAR helps descent so much. I will try with full shield.

A friend made me discover this mod, especially as its diameter is 3.75m.

Two small questions:

- what is the resource usage of this mod in RAM ?

- is it easy to remove the parts that i would not need ? (here again, to reduce the footprint of this mod, and as in some mods, there are dependencies between the parts)

Thanks for your help :)

A friend made me discover this mod, especially as its diameter is 3.75m.

Two small questions:

- what is the resource usage of this mod in RAM ?

- is it easy to remove the parts that i would not need ? (here again, to reduce the footprint of this mod, and as in some mods, there are dependencies between the parts)

Thanks for your help :)

in regards to mem usage, the texture sizes definitely seem to be a case of 'quality over efficiency' so unless you're running half-res textures, they *might* be a bit big, but I dunno the res. I'm assuming they're 1024x1024. There's also less than 10 parts in the pack, so not sure how worth pruning it actually is.

You could also try using the 64 bit version of KSP with openGL mode activated (make a shortcut for it, right click the shortcut and add -force-opengl to the end of whatever's in the target section)

It causes some weird window glitch for me when the game starts up (just alt-tab out and back in when it finishes loading to get rid of it) but I'm running enough mods to crash the 32 bit version of the game 2-3 times with no texture reducer with no problem. The only issue is a couple of mods (the most notable one being FAR) actually disable themselves if they detect you're using the 64 bit mode, so you can't use any mods that depend on it like better buoyancy either, which does suck

Also this model looks great, but does with work with raster prop monitor? you could probably fit a ton of useful screens in there :wink:

Yeah I just finished downloading to check, SO MANY SCREENS I LOVE IT

There seem to be two big blue screens on the bottom level and I can't figure out how to use them, do I need another mod for those to work?

Eventually those will be RPM - but neither of us are terribly interested in setting that system up at the moment - so for now, they remain off.

Your TAC Lifesupport numbers are off. The ship has less than 10m of O2 and more than 4D of Water with a full crew.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if I remove the engine module, how do I retract the engines?

Please edit the TAC configs yourself - we don't offer built-in TAC compatibility (for now) and the config we link to is a community-made version which we don't monitor.

As for the engines - make sure you remove the entire engine module, including the animation events - in that case, they should never deploy.

An idea I thought of at work to allow people disable the LES or use it as a Landertron or even an OMS: Cut the engines off the pod and have slots with attachment points to add in the module you want to use. Downside is that its a lot of work, but people could customize the capsule load out/functionality. You could then add storage containers for various mods that fit in the slots (TAC/KAS/ORS).

- - - Updated - - -

Please edit the TAC configs yourself - we don't offer built-in TAC compatibility (for now) and the config we link to is a community-made version which we don't monitor.

It appears that removing the TAC section of the .cfg file that is supplied for the HCV allows TACs MM .cfgs to correct the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the newest BDAnimationModule causes the engines to bug out and activate/deactivate rapidly, sometimes hitting escape interrupts the cycle. Tested with a clean install.

You know that this makes a cool Kerbal-like Dragon Spacecraft? I just reconfigured your launch escape system to a workable engine. still running from Monoprop since the reals one uses hypergolic fuels.

Anyone else have trouble landing with the engine? I was going to use it as a base evac ship on the Mun. Figured with four engines it should hand just fine. Nope, the engines fell through the ground. I came back again with lander legs on it. Guess what happened this time? It stuck to the ground! I think it hung up on that node that's below the engines. It wouldn't lift off, and I was even able to raise the legs and it just floated there a few feet off the ground. :/

Anyone else have trouble landing with the engine? I was going to use it as a base evac ship on the Mun. Figured with four engines it should hand just fine. Nope, the engines fell through the ground. I came back again with lander legs on it. Guess what happened this time? It stuck to the ground! I think it hung up on that node that's below the engines. It wouldn't lift off, and I was even able to raise the legs and it just floated there a few feet off the ground. :/

We have the same issue with the engines' collision boxes not working with the terrain are we are looking into it. As far as I can tell, everything in Unity is set up fine, so it's a non-obvious issue. Strange about your test with landing legs though... I'll look into it.

strange, I have no problem with the engine, using it for a lot of spacecrafts especially heavy landers due to its flat profile.

2bqfxv.png

atm this ship is orbiting the Mün, preparing for landing.

We have the same issue with the engines' collision boxes not working with the terrain are we are looking into it. As far as I can tell, everything in Unity is set up fine, so it's a non-obvious issue. Strange about your test with landing legs though... I'll look into it.
strange, I have no problem with the engine, using it for a lot of spacecrafts especially heavy landers due to its flat profile.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2bqfxv.png

atm this ship is orbiting the Mün, preparing for landing.

bsquik: Any chance it's related to that central node on the bottom that isn't really attached to anything? Also, I tried it again with the lander legs on Mun, and it must have just been a singular glitch. This time it didn't stay floating in the air when I lifted the legs or get stuck to the ground, it fell and the engine slipped through the ground...so I guess it's working as expected ;) I've noticed that it pauses at that center ring on the part as it falls through the ground for a split second. I've also tested it upside down just to see if it was only in one direction that it fell through the ground, but it fell through too, also pausing slightly at that ring. Wish I could be more help. The only other time I've experienced anything like this was with KSOS wheels slipping through the ground when they weren't installed in the "up" position. They are round wheels with no real indicator so it's hard to tell which way is up! I never saw if they figured out a solution to what was causing it though.

Vahal: Hmm, the lander legs you are using aren't stock, and are a lot taller than normal. Originally I had actually tried to rest on the engine bells without lander legs. This was when the engine fell through the terrain and 'sploded. It's probably not something most people would even run into.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to a couple of snowflakes that sent all of Atlanta into a panic, I had a lot of time to model yesterday and today.

Here's what I've got:

GlitteringCriminalAsianpiedstarling.gif

It's a 3.75-m NERVA with 4 smaller vernier thrusters in a ring around the reactor core. The vernier thrusters will gimbal to provide torque because the main bell is much too large and must remained fixed for structural reasons.

That's the explanation I'm going with at least.

Definitely getting up there with the poly count but I'm not too concerned for now. We'll see how config and game testing goes and refine it from there.