[1.2.1] Taurus HCV - 3.75 m CSM System [v1.5.3 - July 1, 2014]

bsquiklehausen

Once Baha's animation plugin gets marked as 1.0 compatible on CKAN the Taurus should show up

This was requested a few hours ago, I just marked it for 1.0 so let's hope nothing breaks :S

I couldn't find an alternateConfig folder with the cfg to remove the LES from the pod. Please, help me see for I am blind.

Alternatively, would you consider simply to give the option to disable staging the LES via right-click menu in the VAB?

Otherwise, awesome package. The science lab with the built-in service bay is especially $exy.

Edited by Honeybadga

First off, I'd like to say that I love this mod. It's one of my go-to mods for every install, and it seems like there's more cool stuff being added all the time, so thank you for all of the work you put into it, and for updating it to 1.0 so freakin' fast.

That said, while taking a quick trip to the Mun and back, I noticed a problem. When I re-entered the atmosphere at 3.1 km/s with an 11km periapsis, none of the heatshield's Ablator was consumed. It looks like undercoveryankee has had the same problem. Hopefully this is an easy fix, I'd hate to have to switch to the stock heatshield. The Taurus one looks a lot better.

Thanks!

First off, I'd like to say that I love this mod. It's one of my go-to mods for every install, and it seems like there's more cool stuff being added all the time, so thank you for all of the work you put into it, and for updating it to 1.0 so freakin' fast.

That said, while taking a quick trip to the Mun and back, I noticed a problem. When I re-entered the atmosphere at 3.1 km/s with an 11km periapsis, none of the heatshield's Ablator was consumed. It looks like undercoveryankee has had the same problem. Hopefully this is an easy fix, I'd hate to have to switch to the stock heatshield. The Taurus one looks a lot better.

Thanks!

Did anything blow up? If not, then the re-entry heat might not be powerful enough to damage the ship. The heat shield has to get to a certain temp before the ablator boils off.

I couldn't find an alternateConfig folder with the cfg to remove the LES from the pod. Please, help me see for I am blind.

We no longer offer the AlternateConfig for the Taurus HCV. If you would like to run it without the LES, you can delete or comment out the engine module from the part.cfg file.

Glad you like our parts! If you are still on 1.5.0 for the Taurus, please download the hotfix patch 1.5.1 which corrects some values on the heatshield. If you are already on 1.5.1, then you may have a good enough reentry profile to not burn off ablator. You have to get extremely hot to start burning it off. In either case, we will look into the values again to make sure they are correct and balanced.

Hey, I have not had the pleasure of playing with this mod yet, I have not played KSP since 0.25. But, what I have looked at and read, this is a very interesting and useful mod and can't wait to play with it.

I want to download this with Tinker Time to make it easier to manage mods and updates, as well as exporting the mods for my friends to play the same mods easier (some are intimidated about learning all the different mods). The problem is, trying to copy the download link from KerbalStuff or CurseForge, it gives the same error. Ofcourse, I can download the file and import it into TinkerTime. If anyone else wants to use this with a mod manager such as Tinker Time, thought you might want to know of the issue. I think it is due to the .0 at the end, which is redundant I guess and the program doesn't like it.

1YcuBE4bcLHBJR4Z1OCJhTa6VkPG1.png

Edited by CraveMode

Hey, I have not had the pleasure of playing with this mod yet, I have not played KSP since 0.25. But, what I have looked at and read, this is a very interesting and useful mod and can't wait to play with it.

I want to download this with Tinker Time to make it easier to manage mods and updates, as well as exporting the mods for my friends to play the same mods easier (some are intimidated about learning all the different mods). The problem is, trying to copy the download link from KerbalStuff or CurseForge, it gives the same error. Ofcourse, I can download the file and import it into TinkerTime. If anyone else wants to use this with a mod manager such as Tinker Time, thought you might want to know of the issue. I think it is due to the .0 at the end, which is redundant I guess and the program doesn't like it.

The version number should not contain leading zeroes at all - could you please check if the issue persists with the latest hotfix version 1.5.01? If that still doesn't work, we currently support the CKAN mod manager, provided they have finished updating BahamutoD's animation plugins.

We no longer offer the AlternateConfig for the Taurus HCV. If you would like to run it without the LES, you can delete or comment out the engine module from the part.cfg file.

I don't know how to comment something out. I'm looking at the part.cfg and I'm not sure which module to delete. Is it the one with name = AnimatedEngine or name = ModuleEngines or both? I don't want to break anything. Sorry for the noob question.

As I've said, being able to enable/disable staging via tweakables in the VAB would be pretty rad.

I don't know how to comment something out. I'm looking at the part.cfg and I'm not sure which module to delete. Is it the one with name = AnimatedEngine or name = ModuleEngines or both? I don't want to break anything. Sorry for the noob question.

As I've said, being able to enable/disable staging via tweakables in the VAB would be pretty rad.

ModuleEngines should do it.

The version number should not contain leading zeroes at all - could you please check if the issue persists with the latest hotfix version 1.5.01? If that still doesn't work, we currently support the CKAN mod manager, provided they have finished updating BahamutoD's animation plugins.

Hey, you are correct, which confuses me (that the error says that). But, when I removed Tinker Time and reinstalled it and started to get some mods again, it seems when I reach a certain amount of mods it throws this error for alot of mods, not just yours. I apologize, this isn't a problem with your mod from what I can see, but Tinker Time. I am watching a video on how to use CKAN, and I will post this issue on Tinker Time's thread instead.

Thank you for a great mod, was having fun with it over night!

The capsule itself is way too top heavy; it's nearly impossible to keep the ablative shield pointed at the prograde short of mounting the SAS under the capsule then mounting the ablator to that (which doesn't really make sense) otherwise I can't find a way to keep it facing the right way.

Also it's a bit odd... the new Nerva-type engine makes electricity, it should actually require electricity instead since it uses no oxidizer as the catalyst since fuel is being generically used as hydrogen. The way it functions right now is basically magic.

Edited by Sarda

The capsule itself is way too top heavy; it's nearly impossible to keep the ablative shield pointed at the prograde short of mounting the SAS under the capsule then mounting the ablator to that (which doesn't really make sense) otherwise I can't find a way to keep it facing the right way.

Also it's a bit odd... the new Nerva-type engine makes electricity, it should actually require electricity instead since it uses no oxidizer as the catalyst since fuel is being generically used as hydrogen. The way it functions right now is basically magic.

We're looking into the weight issue currently - supposedly there will be heat shield fixes for 1.0.1, so it is possible that will cover it. As for the NERVA, the stock nuclear engine has an alternator so we do to.

The idea is that the engine contains a reactor (that only makes heat that's not harvested into electricity). Considering how it's done, it would be hard to get any power *from* it, though.

The idea is that the engine contains a reactor (that only makes heat that's not harvested into electricity). Considering how it's done, it would be hard to get any power *from* it, though.

I fully understand that, though we are set up as a stockalike modpack, and having our engine require electricity while the stock engine does not would not be in keeping with what we are doing. Please feel free to modify your .cfg file for the nuclear engine though - it sounds like that could be a neat challenge to add to the part.

I fully understand that, though we are set up as a stockalike modpack, and having our engine require electricity while the stock engine does not would not be in keeping with what we are doing. Please feel free to modify your .cfg file for the nuclear engine though - it sounds like that could be a neat challenge to add to the part.

That will teach me to skip quoting – I was answering why it doesn't need electric power (maybe apart from ignition). I don't think the presence of the alternator changes all that much anyway :-) btw, it does have a turbine (for pumps), actually, so it totally could make a bit of electricity. Googling suggests a part of th exhaust was redirected.

I just wait til NearFuture is updated it turns all the NERVA's from all mods into requiring Hydrogen and Energy like it does in RL.

We're looking into the weight issue currently - supposedly there will be heat shield fixes for 1.0.1, so it is possible that will cover it. As for the NERVA, the stock nuclear engine has an alternator so we do to.

The stock heatshield "bug" is actually just a design flaw - stock heatshields are defined as massless parts (PhysicsSignificance=1), and thus tend to destabilize the capsule. Setting that to 0 makes re-entries much more controllable.

Now, the Taurus heatshield isn't massless, so CoM shifts down. I think the problem here is that it's too light - once ablator starts to burn out, CoM shifts up, destabilizing the capsule. To mitigate that, you should increase its dry mass - from 1 ton to, let's say, 2.5 or something.

I just wait til NearFuture is updated it turns all the NERVA's from all mods into requiring Hydrogen and Energy like it does in RL.

Seriously, go look up how a NERVA works before you bash people. And IIRC NFTs LV-N MM patch also went for liquid hydrogen. Like, go to the wiki, it has awesome schematics. Those fuel rods? That's the "magic". And that's also where the huge bulb on LV-N comes from.

The stock heatshield "bug" is actually just a design flaw - stock heatshields are defined as massless parts (PhysicsSignificance=1), and thus tend to destabilize the capsule. Setting that to 0 makes re-entries much more controllable.

Now, the Taurus heatshield isn't massless, so CoM shifts down. I think the problem here is that it's too light - once ablator starts to burn out, CoM shifts up, destabilizing the capsule. To mitigate that, you should increase its dry mass - from 1 ton to, let's say, 2.5 or something.

I will look into this, but for now, I don't want to do a third patch so soon, so please feel free to edit the cfg yourself.

Unfortunately, Squads lighting reflexes are catching most modders by surprise ;)

But more importantly, love what you did with this mod! Very Kerbal, good looking and usefull. Thanks!

I'm experiencing a weird issue with this one. Upon loading the vehicle to the launchpad the built-in launch escape engines on the pod fire, then rapidly cycle on and off. The firing sound keeps playing every time they do. I've got quite a few mods installed, but I can't seem to pin it down as being attached to one of them. Love this pod. Just wondering if what I'm seeing is a known issue?

I'm experiencing a weird issue with this one. Upon loading the vehicle to the launchpad the built-in launch escape engines on the pod fire, then rapidly cycle on and off. The firing sound keeps playing every time they do. I've got quite a few mods installed, but I can't seem to pin it down as being attached to one of them. Love this pod. Just wondering if what I'm seeing is a known issue?

That is currently happening due to a conflict with one of Roverdude's mods, though I can't remember which. We are looking into it.

Capsule engine animation bug seems to be strictly BDAnimationModules bug. Outdated version of that dll provided the same glitch for my skycrane parts since 0.90. When I removed automatic engine animations from config - everything was fine.

To fix it, I advise to either fork and rebuild BDAnimationModules.dll for 1.0+ by yourself (last code update of that was 6 month! ago for 0.25) or use stock animation module to MANUALLY deploy that engines along with adding optional MM config for BDAnimationModules (in hope it will be somewhen updated by someone else). In either case - remove BDAnimationModules from CKAN "depends" list.

What would be extremely nice to see in pack - is optional OLD model of Taurus - without that (pretty much unneeded) engines. I personally like to use it as inseparable command module for large ships.

There is another annoying bug also. SPB-Huge-3 doesn't work as cargo bay with stock 1.0+ aerodynamics. No shielding. Internally mounted parts get full drag and heat. Fix that please.

Edited by Dr. Jet