Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

Thank you for the excellent mod. Also for including an alternative Sabatier config with Methane output! This makes Zubrin type mission a whole lot simpler...

I'd love it if someone made a Mars Direct pack! I know you can pretty much custom build one from existing packs, but something only using the equipment and techniques features in A case for Mars would be a great introduction to base building and resource gathering using realistic technology.

I have just started using the new(ish) hexcore parts and I am loving this scale, really great for mixing filled and empty segments 3+3 for science and landing legs for neat little landers. (The AIES legs fit perfectly)

The only problem I am getting is the 1.85m diameter, I know this isnt a US issue, I'd just like to ask where would I get some nice adaptors to 'cap-off' the hexcore parts? I dont like having the ends exposed and its too big for 1.25 and too small for 2.5.

I have been dying for metal plates of the three rocket sizes to work as caps or load bearers in situations where a structural fuselage is way too long. Some mod I have installed (Procedural Fairings?) has a 1.25m one, but it's apparently meant to split into multiple nodes and weighs far too much to behave as filler.

Yep adaptors and decouplers are coming, both as separate parts. The adaptors, as well as being caps to the stacks, will also act as a kind of circular "housing" for a stack of full cores, with adjustable walls that can be tweaked up to four cores high. These walls will interlock with the scalloping and make the hex and octo sections circular (or near enough to it). Because i'm creating multiple texture options for the wedges, making matching adaptors will take a while.

The decouplers will be bundled with texture options that are adjustable in the VAB, alongside a tweakable fairing that sits flush with capsules to hide heatsheilds and whathaveyou.

OOZ662 - is this what you're thinking of?

Yep adaptors and decouplers are coming, both as separate parts. The adaptors, as well as being caps to the stacks, will also act as a kind of circular "housing" for a stack of full cores, with adjustable walls that can be tweaked up to four cores high. These walls will interlock with the scalloping and make the hex and octo sections circular (or near enough to it). Because i'm creating multiple texture options for the wedges, making matching adaptors will take a while.

The decouplers will be bundled with texture options that are adjustable in the VAB, alongside a tweakable fairing that sits flush with capsules to hide heatsheilds and whathaveyou.

OOZ662 - is this what you're thinking of?

Adaptors that wrap around the stack of wedges? Maybe I am getting some kind of differing mental image of that but err .. how would you open the wedges with an adaptor fitted?

Mainly what I was meaning was a tapered/conical plate to go between the (oddly sized) 1.825643m hexcore and either 1.25m or 2.5m "standard" parts just giving me the apperance of a streamlined shape. I dont think NEAR/FAR cares about the step because there are no nodes present its mainly just for looks.

Adaptors that wrap around the stack of wedges? Maybe I am getting some kind of differing mental image of that but err .. how would you open the wedges with an adaptor fitted?

I assume he means that they'll have "forks" like the old decouplers look like they have; bits that extend down and fit between the "clover leaves" made where the wedges meet.

I assume he means that they'll have "forks" like the old decouplers look like they have; bits that extend down and fit between the "clover leaves" made where the wedges meet.

Pretty much, but you can make them longer or shorter depending on the size of your stack. Working out different approaches with Paul atm

Is it just me, or are the safety decouplers not respecting the "do not stage" switch? (I re-enabled them in the config file). I thought the only issue was supposed to be fuel calc?

I'm looking forward to those cap pieces you mentioned. Deadly Reentry+FAR would be much happier that way. :)

Also, is it possible to configure the slices to be configured as cargo bays for FAR? (Currently I'm adding them in the debug settings for FAR)

Edited by WarrenSchultz

Hello, I'm having a small issue with this mod, or at least I'm highly suspicious that its because of this mod. Anyway, I'm having some big fps drops during reentry with pretty small ships (Mk1 command pod and 2 quad cores and 8 different modules from US). I'm suspecting that US is at fault because I casually switched from the pod to a part I had recently decoupled to see how it burnt on the atmosphere :P. When I switched and the pod wasn't on sight I would get normal fps, but as soon as I either switched back or looked at it the fps would drop again. I tried launching a very simple ship to test if by itself would drop my fps and it didn't. I'm using deadly reentry.

Edited by Jofe

Hello, I'm having a small issue with this mod, or at least I'm highly suspicious that its because of this mod. Anyway, I'm having some big fps drops during reentry with pretty small ships (Mk1 command pod and 2 quad cores and 8 different modules from US). I'm suspecting that US is at fault because I casually switched from the pod to a part I had recently decoupled to see how it burnt on the atmosphere :P. When I switched and the pod wasn't on sight I would get normal fps, but as soon as I either switched back or looked at it the fps would drop again. I tried launching a very simple ship to test if by itself would drop my fps and it didn't. I'm using deadly reentry.

The outside of the parts have higher geometry than most, and the re-entry effects are calculated based on that. More polys = much more accurate flames\wind = more potential slowdown. I'm not surprised that the noticeable performance hits happen here, rather than anywhere else in the game.

This is one of the few downfalls for using higher-poly models - KSP normally handles them fine on less powerful machines with little frame loss, but those re-entry effects are pretty taxing. :)

Is it just me, or are the safety decouplers not respecting the "do not stage" switch? (I re-enabled them in the config file). I thought the only issue was supposed to be fuel calc?

I'm looking forward to those cap pieces you mentioned. Deadly Reentry+FAR would be much happier that way. :)

Also, is it possible to configure the slices to be configured as cargo bays for FAR? (Currently I'm adding them in the debug settings for FAR)

They technically ignore staging by the spacebar, but they still play the staging sound and effects. It's offputting but they shouldn't separate until right clicked.

Classifying the wedges as cargo bays would be a save breaking update, as every part name would have to change. Do you have bad experiences with them? I would've thought placing them under a nosecone would be enough to counteract FAR and its drag calculations. I've not had the time to do proper testing yet with FAR but there hasn't been many reports on the forums of things fouling up on ascent.

Edited by Daishi

Using RemoteTech, I had placed a Communitron antenna in a science bay, and it got ripped out during launch. Not a huge deal by any means, but I presumed that wasn't intended.

Ah, sorry, thought you were meaning the other standard wedges. The science bays do need to be configured for FAR, its been something i've been putting off \ forgetting about. Will be included in the next update.

Using RemoteTech, I had placed a Communitron antenna in a science bay, and it got ripped out during launch. Not a huge deal by any means, but I presumed that wasn't intended.

The extending communicon antennas get ripped out (when extended) even from beneath fairings or nosecones. The "part shielded" tag means the drag is not applied, it has no effect on the destructable antenna mechanics in remotetech.

Making the science bay into a shielding cargo bay will still not allow you to use extended communictrons in atmosphere at speed.

However making science bays shielded from drag is still a good idea :)

i just had my stock sensors blow up inside a closed storage wedge during an SSTO flight with far installed. the container is not saying whether the parts are shielded or not, is there a way to check?

Edited by endl

i just had my stock sensors blow up inside a closed storage wedge during an SSTO flight with far installed. the container is not saying whether the parts are shielded or not, is there a way to check?

They aren't at all because the doors don't have mesh colliders that encase the contents of the wedge, something i totally overlooked. It also needs to have "cargo bay" or something in the file name. Will get to it in the next update, sorry guys!

I may sound whiny, but is reducing the poly count for the bay doors a priority in the future? Recently installed and I love this mod so much, but the lag I get on ascent/descent is painful to say the least.

What are your specs? The parts shouldn't affect KSP too much, until the flames and wind effects start. And even on a high-end i7, stock part flame effects can still halve the framerate for me :\

Are you sure its not part count and physics? Hopefully the lag with that will get fixed when KSP is upgraded to take advantage of multithreading.

I know it's not part count or physics, but you do raise a good point about stock flame effects.

I'll just cut the aero FX as low as it'll go, because after one day this mod already has me hooked.

Awesome to hear! Glad you enjoy it :)

I don't know if its only me (maybe because of the MM patch for KSPI), but the CO2 tank its on Specialized Electrics (almost at the end of the tech tree), when it should be at Space Exploration, just like the rest of the TAC wedges.

EDIT: I messed it duplicating the post, sorry about that, there's a quickfix down.

Remember to substract the cost from your funds if you are playing with entry costs :)

Edited by Ondo

The Carbon Dioxide Wedge appears at Specialized Electrics (far on the tech tree), way beyond the rest of the TACLS container wedges. Is that by design? if it is, why? :confused:

It may be because of the MM patch for KSPI that rearranges parts on the existing nodes.

QuickFix: Edit the .cfg file for the Carbon dioxide container, replace specializedElectrics by spaceExploration (where the other cointainers are)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.