[0.24.x] Stock ReBalance v1.4 | 11/09/14

stupid_chris

In case you need inspiration for a 0.24 update:

O-10 Monoprop Engine is a bit big (and thus ugly) for a 20 thrust engine. A rescalefactor of 0.5 works great; I tried it.

It also has no DrawGauge = True. For a throttable engine that's just essential.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's compatible with 0.24 (in that it works just fine). It just doesn't edit the parts cost. So it's not complete, but it is working as intended.

Yes that was kind of a useless addendum on my part, wasn't sure how modulemanager edits worked, thanks ;)

@chris - I've been toying with a new engine balance for 0.24.2. You might already have your own ideas but what do you think of this?

Data comparing stock to my tweaks: http://screencast.com/t/tp52iVbqM4

Chart of TWR vs Isp (Stock, Stock Rebalance, My Tweaks): http://screencast.com/t/WHKK0Lfaw

MM Config if you'd like to try it: Download

I found the handful of engine tweaks Squad made for 0.24.x put a different spin on engine balance than where Stock Rebalance was headed previously. I tried to embrace the new 0.24 philosophy while making each part unique with it's own role. I also wanted to stay within the "bounds" of stock play. So no Isp higher than found in stock parts, no thrust higher than found in stock, etc. I made Radial engines slightly nerfed in Thrust to Weight Ratio when compared to their counterparts (since radial engines have numerous advantages, I wanted to ensure there was still a reason to use the stock engine as well). I tweaked Isp in general (especially given Squads changes to mainsail and others) to better define lifting engines and atmospheric engines. On paper I'm happy with it but could use some other opinions and will be continuing to test it.

PS - Happy to share my work, or the google sheet, or graphs. Or on the other hand feel free to ask that I take down the download.

Edited by Black-Talon
updated link

I'm enjoying reviewing the updates for 0.24.x and updating a little as I go. Tonight I mostly reviewed the engine changes and found some mistakes in the configs vs what I had planned in my spreadsheet. I also updated the SAS a little to align with the masses of the new parts. Anyway, link above is updated. Get it here to provide me some feedback: Download (drop on top of an existing installation of Stock Rebalance Project).

Stupid_chris, I was working on a similar rebalance mod. You've already got all the engines down, but maybe you can find some use for some of the other ideas that I had. Everything with an * already has ModuleManager .cfgs that I can send over (just PM me). Anyway here are some tweaks that would help balance the game and make give use to parts that previously didn't have any:

Antennas*

Speed is the advantage that the larger antennas have, yet this is the least important. Power consumption is much more important, especially in the early game. That's why I moved the advantages and disadvantages around. The smallest antenna (the 16) is now the fastest, but requires more power to transmit. The largest one (88-88) is the slowest, but requires less power. The middle one (DTS-M1) is in between those two.

Covered Solar Panels*

The solar panels that can fold up into their own compartments (SP-W/L) are never a better choice than their uncovered counterparts (OX-4W/L). The solution to this is to make the OX-4 line not retractable. In space this is not a problem, but if you want to reuse your solar panels after going through an atmosphere, the SP-W/L panels now have a use.

Solar Panel Power*

Compared to real-life solar panels are incredibly OP. With a single OX-STAT you're generally set electricity-wise wherever you are in the solar system. In real-life solar power reduces much more drastically with distance (inverse square law). The powerCurve I made for one of my mods approximates the inverse-square law and simulates the real-life consequences quite well. RTGs become more efficient around Jool's orbit (aka Jupiter) and are reduced to almost nothing once you get out to Eeloo (Pluto). This results in two interesting changes to solar panel use in KSP: RTGs are suddenly useful if you go to Jool or Eeloo where they can compete with solar panels and if you go beyond Kerbin you have to think more about which or how many solar panels you have to put on. Both offer much more interesting gameplay than the current situation offers.

Shielded Docking Port*

Has the same drag as the normal docking port (0.25). If it was the same as other aerodynamic nosecone (0.1) it might be actually be a non-aesthetic choice to place it on the top of your spacecraft.

HubMax and Micronode*

They're not useless but would be more user-friendly if they have stack symmetry enabled. That would all you to use symmetry on the horizontal nodes (handy when adding a symmetrical number of docking ports or something), while still allowing individual placement at each node.

RoveMax Model 1

The RoveMax is heavier, more power-hungry, slower and all-around worse than the Ruggedized Wheel in every way. My proposal would be to make the RoveMax the lighter, slower, power-conservative and more easily breakable of the two, while the Ruggedized Wheel would be the heavier, faster, more power-hungry and sturdier of the two. That should give both their own niches.

Hydraulic Manifold

According to various threads it's one of the more underused parts in KSP, as its decoupling force doesn't scale with its mass. If it's mass would was reduced (from 0.4 to for example 0.045 or 0.05) it'd be more competitive with the smallest decoupler.

The shielded panels should have more drag, but high maximum temperature and crash tolerance, E.G. : (?*) drag, 30 m:s & 3800(K?). If extended, they would have the same maximum temperature and crash tolerance as their unshielded variants. They should probably also cost ~$450. I'm not an expert on this topic, so I admit that my idea could very well suck.

The shielded panels should have more drag, but high maximum temperature and crash tolerance, E.G. : (?*) drag, 30 m:s & 3800(K?). If extended, they would have the same maximum temperature and crash tolerance as their unshielded variants. They should probably also cost ~$450. I'm not an expert on this topic, so I admit that my idea could very well suck.

Changing maximum temperature and crash tolerance with the animation state would require a new plugin, so it's a little out of scope for this project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Heya folks, short status update about this:

I'm nearly done with an update, and a pretty big one to be honest. I've mapped /all/ the parts in the game to excel charts, to balance as many things as possible. Wings, intakes, resource containers, everything. I've looked at the price of every part, and balanced as many things as I could. Essentially, things like engines went up in price, while stuff like fuel tank cost a lot less than they used to. One thing to remember, is that while those changes aim to make things a little more sensible realistically, it's not the aim to make it as realistic as possible. It's all in a gameplay wise perspective. e.g., I didn't balance the price of say, fuel tanks, according to their real life equivalents. Each number has a meaning.

That being said, the update should be sometimes this week.

Cheers!

Edited by stupid_chris

Heya folks, short status update about this:

I'm nearly done with an update, and a pretty big one to be honest. I've mapped /all/ the parts in the game to int excel charts, to balance as many things as possible. Wings, intakes, resource containers, everything. I've looked at the price of every part, and balanced as many things as I could. Essentially, things like engines went up in price, while stuff like fuel tank cost a lot less than they used to. One thing to remember, is that while those changes aim to make things a little more sensible realistically, it's not the aim to make it as realistic as possible. It's all in a gameplay wise perspective. e.g., I didn't balance the price of say, fuel tanks, according to their real life equivalents. Each number has a meaning.

That being said, the update should be sometimes this week.

Cheers!

Sweet! I can't wait. :)

Hey guys, v1.4 is up!

Changelog:

September 11th 2014
v1.4
-Cost and mass for each part has been reviewed and rebalanced
-MM configs changed and reclassed due to the large number of new patches
-Now uses ModuleManager 2.3.4 and it's upgrades
-Wings, control surfaces, and air intakes have been rebalanced
-NASA fuel tanks have been rebalanced to have the same mass/fuel ratio a the others
-The Excel charts now document all the changes and the part stats, please consult them for more info

A lot of changes and rebalances, so I,ll see how you guys react to them, but mostly, the prices and masses have all been rechecked for each parts and the stats can be viwed for all parts in the excel graphs. Remember, I'm open to comments, but ultimately everything in here is at my discretion and does not aim for full realism.

Also, this underwent a small name change, and is now called Stock ReBalance, or SRB for short :)

Cheers!

Edited by stupid_chris

I'm so happy the new version is out !

Trying it right now...

I've found a typo in RebalanceSRBs.cfg :

//RT-10 SRB@PART[solidBooster]:FOR[stockRebalance]:BEFORE[HotRockets]

{

@cost = 300

@RESOURC[solidFuel]

{

@amount = 425

@maxAmount = 425

}

}

It's RESOURCE I think, keep up the good work

Hey guys, v1.4 is up!

Hey man, have you considered making the 1.25 'ASAS' unit into a 0.625m part?

Something like this:

// Inline Advanced Stabilizer :: Squad/Parts/Command/advSasModule/part.cfg
@PART[advSasModule]
{
!mesh
MODEL
{
model = Squad/Parts/Command/advSasModule/model
scale = 0.5,0.5,0.5
}
@node_stack_top = 0, 0.09951335, 0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
@node_stack_bottom = 0, -0.09951335, 0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
}

(that's from my Horrible Nerf rebalance, I took out the rebalance aspects)

It's RESOURCE I think, keep up the good work

Yeah, I'll fix that.

Hey man, have you considered making the 1.25 'ASAS' unit into a 0.625m part?

Something like this:

// Inline Advanced Stabilizer :: Squad/Parts/Command/advSasModule/part.cfg
@PART[advSasModule]
{
!mesh
MODEL
{
model = Squad/Parts/Command/advSasModule/model
scale = 0.5,0.5,0.5
}
@node_stack_top = 0, 0.09951335, 0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
@node_stack_bottom = 0, -0.09951335, 0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
}

(that's from my Horrible Nerf rebalance, I took out the rebalance aspects)

Nah, get KSPX, there is 0.625m SAS parts.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.