Project Odyssey: adventures getting home from an alternate dimension

Felbourn

I've had vessels disappear before, but they did not have the legs on them. One day, one of the Deep Space Comm satellites I was sending to Kerbin L4 and L5 just plain disappeared. I had to put a new one up. I thought it had been a mistake where maybe I deleted it at the TS but didn't remember, but later it happened to more things. None of them had those legs. Does it only happen to craft with those legs?

I never noticed it with other vessels, but it happens all the time if I try to use the legs and land the vessel. Sometimes they stay longer or shorter. At the end they all disapeared if I leave them alone.

The null reference exceptions (and the lag) starts always if you load the vessel (or another vessel in loading range) and will never stop. My theory is that the game gets trouble at some point to count the vessel as in landed state and deletes it like falling debries. Duno what's exactly goin on there, but the legs are definetly "broken".

Some more info and confirmations here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/35383-0-23-AIES-Aerospace-v1-5-1?p=982262&viewfull=1#post982262

I never noticed it with other vessels, but it happens all the time if I try to use the legs and land the vessel. Sometimes they stay longer or shorter. At the end they all disapeared if I leave them alone.

The null reference exceptions (and the lag) starts always if you load the vessel (or another vessel in loading range) and will never stop. My theory is that the game gets trouble at some point to count the vessel as in landed state and deletes it like falling debries. Duno what's exactly goin on there, but the legs are definetly "broken".

Some more info and confirmations here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/35383-0-23-AIES-Aerospace-v1-5-1?p=982262&viewfull=1#post982262

While that is certainly "a thing" I believe that, since I did not have AIES legs on any of the problematic vessels, my issues were related to 64-bit incompatibilities with mods. KAS was particularly problematic. Also I think MechJeb has indirect issues in the VAB if not in other locations too.

continuing episode 21...

Svetlana transfers to the Hydra II return capsule and releases the landing capsule to begin heading to her new home.

DtSADPf.png

She makes it back to Kerbin without incident. The affects of the anomalies have been left behind on the Mun's surface.

8xQQpdI.png

She decouples the capsule to finish her reentry...

RbCzZJ2.png

...and makes it home safely in a picturesque field.

3dcIFIy.png

Meanwhile, Raptor I has come through the wormhole into our dimension and activated their cloaking device so as not to be seen by Odyssey Station or any tracking systems.

igm0yU7.png

Bill thinks he has seen something, but when he looks more closely there is nothing there.

4pOPSRe.png

The guys on the ground saw the blip as well, but now it's gone; nothing to report.

0VoLxZ8.png

Raptor I has called back to their home dimension to their report findings. They can see Odyssey Station.

zNN5DKH.png

Sergei has ordered Captain Komalak to hold position and keep researching their tech level and capabilities, but then they lose communications.

FvdOZmf.png

But back on Raptor I, the cloaking device was activated too soon after coming through. It has created a dangerous energy feedback loop due to its proximity to the anomalous event horizon.

3nPo4kK.png

Raptor I's cloaking field destabilizes the anomaly and there's a massive burst of radiation.

XcE2xdu.png

episode 21 will continue soon...

Edited by Felbourn

continuing episode 21...

Kranz is suddenly falling from the sky. This feels familiar.

oEnUqD7.png

Oh no! Not another anomaly shifting event! He has landed in a base that looks all wrong.

QuQnFwm.png

He sees Bob land in the distance, as well.

nXFzYrb.png

They meet to discuss their situation with a profound level of deja vu.

zCwEWbP.png

This is definitely not the base we came from, so the anomaly has sent us to yet another dimension. Now there are four known universes! We have our home, Svetlana's home, where we just were, and where we are now.

r5UBxMG.png

The entire team gathers at the flag pole to discuss the situation.

BPw8VbE.png

Neil, Joseph, and Jeb

wrYM68q.png

Bob, Kesla, and Valentina

1yS38Gf.png

Svetlana, too, listens as Kranz explains their situation.

mEWCyid.png

They search the base and then report back to "Kranz's" office to discuss how this base is devoid of life too.

rRP59Ki.png

"We'll need to start looking for Kethane right away" they say.

GOsmvR1.png

Ultimately we need to start over again, because this dimension has nothing in the sky.

3HrZtjV.png

There's also no one else around to help, so once again we'll be doing it alone.

7vKPvWk.png

episode 21 will continue soon...

continuing episode 21...

A whole new lifter system is developed...

a0ba671.png

...at our whole new Mission Control Center.

a0TWp7D.png

We have a whole new Centaur second stage, though it looks more like a Delta in our world.

6HLoPnX.png

We also have a whole new TDRS communications satellite design.

etCkWXP.png

The first TDRS-E class satellite decouples after being placed into a 2868km KTO.

Vq87ewL.png

The Centaur II reenters and burns up...

mHq8RE6.png

...while the TDRS-E circularizes at KSO.

joqOmvL.png

It deploys its solar panels and communications antennae.

hc75bBb.png

We're ready for additional launches at the new base!

p7horkP.png

Watch as the saga continues!

Hi, what are your values for deadly reentry settings? I just cant find the video you mention it

thanks

It's in the Odyssey CFG file. I set all stats of all parts to a default, then override them with ModuleManager to fix them up.

@REENTRY_EFFECTS
{
@shockwaveExponent = 1.12 // up from 1.00
@heatMultiplier = 15 // down from 25
@ridiculousMaxTemp = 4000 // up from 2500, all parts are 1000 by default anyway
}
@PART[*]
{
@title = FIX MY STATS
@maxTemp = 1000 // default maxTemp and crashTolerance to low values and
@crashTolerance = 8 // then set them higher in the configs below, as desired
@breakingForce = 200
@breakingTorque = 200 // default to a ~0.1 ton object needing ~4.5 Gs max
}

When will you update the cfg files?Also loving your series man. Good work!

It's updated. I just started testing Life Support though and noticed I assumed compressed air for O2 consumption rates. I'll have that fixed by next week.

The second TDRS-E has been launched.

HOOLVgv.png

This one travels to nearly the opposite side from the first TDRS-E.

pOodjTi.png

We can see it here as it starts to open.

SCJd08j.png

The communications arms then start to unfold.

ePTFXkr.png

7Jzj512.png

Finally, the dishes themselves unfold and link into the RemoteTech network.

OSUg2m9.png

Back in our previous dimension, Captain Komalak's Raptor I is out of control after the damage from the wormhole.

SL4ijTu.png

Once power is restored, he looks at the carnage of what was once Odyssey Station. It has been blown to pieces.

4w3f4aS.png

Bill barely escaped the wreckage, but he is captured by Komalak.

YHshKkk.png

Meanwhile, a new communications network for Mun is being launched.

5T2DO8A.png

We use a Centaur II to push us all the way to Mun.

e8BmgC6.png

The Mun network will only need two satellites, and we've launched them on the same rocket.

WmRY2Wn.png

The first one decouples to go to L4.

yN7Sbu6.png

The second one decouples to head for L5.

MjjZcTM.png

The Centaur II will eventually deorbit.

J4Rkxzl.png

Watch as the saga continues:

i sad it on the gateway threat but i say it one more time, so im sure that you would read it

can you build MIR as the new space station ?? that would be cool i guess?

i really like the project i wish my computer could handel so many mods but it cant unfortuantly

so i could try build it myself, but i wont come close to you haha.

Edited by jebandhisfriends

i sad it on the gateway threat but i say it one more time, so im sure that you would read it

can you build MIR as the new space station ?? that would be cool i guess?

i really like the project i wish my computer could handel so many mods but it cant unfortuantly

so i could try build it myself, but i wont come close to you haha.

Mir would be among my "historical projects" missions rather than being part of Odyssey, but I like the idea of doing as a historical mission. I wanted to do the Skylab in RSS. Maybe I could do a Mir RSS as well.

Mir would be among my "historical projects" missions rather than being part of Odyssey, but I like the idea of doing as a historical mission. I wanted to do the Skylab in RSS. Maybe I could do a Mir RSS as well.

Actually... you gave me an idea. Don't rule it out entirely, just yet.

Scanned through the YouTube comments for e22, but didn't see this. So, since no one else asked...

How in the world did you get all those extra buildings around the KSC?

It's not in the comments because it was in the video, around 17:00. :)

Btw something for the "AIES issues":

If anyone that get's Nul errors with legs and want a some what patch this will stop the error's but you will have to set a action group for the legs or toggle them 1 by 1 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/Aies_LEG_PATCH.cfg.zip and if you are a RT2 user https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/RemoteTech_AIES_3.cfg or a AnntennaRange user https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/AntennaRange2.cfg

EDIT- Here is a patch if you want to use the Firespitter plugin for the legs https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/Aies_LEG_PATCH_FS.cfg.zip

Source: Link

A new lifter is being created.

VQWRGoR.png

It's carrying a VERY heavy core module for a new space station.

1B4Yl0I.png

It can lift itself to its initial orbit after decoupling from the boost stage.

KXMj8E3.png

It's going up to a 275 km orbit.

NjO4flV.png

Vx7Q6mR.png

V97Y06k.png

The ground crew is concerned that so far no Kethane has been detected on "New Kerbin II."

KH1qCtI.png

But the station is doing okay in orbit, waiting for someone to visit it.

bsUb72Y.png

Watch as the saga continues...

Edited by Felbourn

....no Kethane has been detected on "New Kerbin II."

This is New Kerbin III now

Depends on how you count them...

Kerbin = our home

New Kerbin I = where we were shifted

Alternate Kerbin = where Svetlana came from, but we were never actually there ourselves

New Kerbin II = where we are now

But I could see it going either way (counting them all, which makes it III) too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.