Has ARM convinced you to shelve the Mainsail?

3_bit

Let's face it: with the LFB KR-1x2 having made it's debut, sporting not only a higher thrust (33% higher!) and ISP than the Rockomax Mainsail, as well as being cheaper than a Mainsail + 1 orange tank, it has a much lower tendency to explode.

So, have you ditched the Mainsail yet? When the need for POWER calls, the Mainsail is clearly no longer choice #1, though for many years we counted on them to do the tough jobs, it's just outdated.

The only downside of the new LFB KR-1x2 is the smaller gimbal range, being half of the Mainsail's, as well as no electric charge output. But who needs those when you'll be in orbit in no time?

Maybe, maybe not. I stubbornly insisted on using it on my Tycho launcher, and had a job making it work. I didn't use it on my Brunel launcher.

It's not the LFB I see as killing the Mainsail though, but the KR-2L. It's better in pretty much every way except dimensions, and can be used in upper stages which is where the LFB falls down. And it looks gorgeous, whereas I find the LFB a bit nondescript.

I use Skippers and Poodles in my light rockets, Mainsails and Skippers in medium rockets, and the new engines in big rockets. All of them get their jobs done, so I don't complain.

A place for everything and everything in it's place. Honestly not everything needs to go to the furthest planet possible for me. It's not exactly hard to stay away from using the medium fuel tank in trips to the Mun and I can pull off a Duna landing and return from launch, no docking etc whilst not having even the mainsail unlocked on the tech tree. I never even bothered with the Mainsail too much anyway because it felt pretty inefficient, these new engines are the same in that sense.

Honestly, the Skipper caused me to shelve the Mainsail long ago. Better I(sp) and easier part-per-engine requirements for getting optimal lift out of it. What's not to love?
The inferior Isp, flexibility, and maximum thrust compared to a cluster of 2-4 LV-T30's or T45's :P (And worse TWR than LV-T30's into the bargain.) I will grant that strutting the clusters is a nuisance though.

I think the Skipper might be one of the few rocket engines I've never, or almost never, used actually. The others being the radial ant (I've looked, but just not found a ship that warrants it) and the new LFB (not got round to using it, and I find it kinda ugly).

There's a time and place for 2.5m rockets and the mainsail. Everyone who gets used to using a 3.75m rocket to launch small payloads is probably going to be in for a rude awakening when contracts and currency releases.

Everyone who gets used to using a 3.75m rocket to launch small payloads is probably going to be in for a rude awakening when contracts and currency releases.

Then I'll just use an SSTO or space shuttle, and my 3.75 meter rocket is reusable.:D

(I've looked, but just not found a ship that warrants it) and the new LFB (not got round to using it, and I find it kinda ugly).

Hmm I like the LFB look, however the orange tank is one item I wish could be matched to the parts you are attaching them too (it just looks so wrong using a bright orange tank on a white and black setup...petty I know).

As for the main sail, I do still use them if the craft needs them. I build for the craft I intend to fly, not by what part looks good (exception being the orange tank comment above but it still falls in line). I am trying a few new setups with the main sail as the secondary engine on a craft using the newer "half" tank as a pusher, dunno if this will go beyond just testing out ideas or not though. I just build what I need to get the job done, without going over board...in most cases. There are of course time where doing something over the top is just too tempting, but those are not the serious missions to me, those are just the fun part of KSP.

Then I'll just use an SSTO or space shuttle, and my 3.75 meter rocket is reusable.:D

SSTO made out of the 3.75 meter parts....that would be something that needs to be done. Not that it would be practical though.....maybe it would though LOL