[Development thread] Launchers Pack (Working on RSS-compatible Delta II)

Hi, first post- first mod!:cool:

Launchers Pack Development Thread

Version 1.0.2 has been released, check this thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/78741-WIP-Launchers-Pack-V-1-0-0-23-5-%28Release-3-5-14%29

---Working on a RSS-compatible Delta II, pictures on page 11---

Edited by Kartoffelkuchen

First of all, that looks nothing like a RS-27A... The Delta II engine looks a little like this:

rs27a1.jpg

I would also suggest that you don't do a huge mounting plate on the top of your engine. They don't do that in real life, they have thrust-plates, like this (triangular structure at the top):

028.jpg

Also, the SRB's are quite fat compared to the real Delta II SRB's, so you may want to make them thinner so you can get nine on the first stage.

Other than that, have fun with your first mod!

Someone should point out to you that the Delta II is not a NASA rocket, but is part of the United Launch Alliance, which consists of Boeing, Lockheed Martin, and some others. All Delta and Atlas series rockets were created by them. NASA's vehicles are the SLS, Space Shuttle, Saturn V, Saturn IB, Titan (and variants), Atlas, and Redstone. There may be a couple more that I've forgotten, but the Delta series was NOT created by NASA.

Delta is already in development by CluelessModeler, and BobCat made quite good Ares rockets.

Er, I'm pretty sure that CluelessModeler hasn't posted any updates since like, .21. And BobCat hasn't been seen for a while either.

Edited by Razorcane

Check the ULA thread then. :) He posted a few very pretty rockets recently. In fact, I've just received the bare-bones Delta II for testing. There's a lot to be done before release, but it's closing in slowly.

I'm trying Razorcane! Things have just been creeping up, like college...

I'd be more than happy to collaborate with Kartoffelkuchen though (You can never have enough help)! Send me a PM and let's see what we can work out!

Although, if you'd like to make competing rockets, that's cool too!!!

One great hint that I was given though, is when you're making stuff in blender, is to make very good use of the "Edge Split" modifier, it always smooths out the edges and gives a better overall look!

If there's anything I can do to help, let me know!!!

Edited by CluelessModeler
Advice

Ok, I edited the head line, that fits better :D. Thank you Captain_Party, I just saw one or two pictures of the RS-27A, and I couldn't see many details, I just saw a big black hole of the engine's ending :mad: So if you have any pictures of the RS', please show them here, so i can make it more realistic :)

@Bioman222: Thank you, it's nice to hear ghings like that in such an early development phase! :)

@Dragon01: Yes, I noticed that, but I think it's nice to have the choice between some models, isn't it?

@Razorcane: I edited the headline;)

@CluelessModeler: Thank you for your advice! :)

So, enough @'ts :D

Thanks Captain_Party, I have to rework the bottom part of the booster anyway...

So, I completely reworked that main tank, now the textures anymore, just on top, but I think I can fix it easy..:)

Here's a little plan:

- Fixing some textures (Booster cone, main tank, inside of the RS-27A, there are green stripes..)

- Adding some more details, for example rivets and other stuff

- Node fixing (Have some problems with the GEM's, they won't attach correctly)

- Create 2nd stage model

- Texture 2nd stage

I think these are enough points for at least the next few days.. :)

I think your SRBs should be a little bit less pointy, also, the the nozzles aren't just slightly to the side but has a completely, a little bit, rotated bottom part. Here's a pic of what I made to show you. (Don't worry, just a sample, wont release. :P)

v8LOxYs.png

You could also refer to KW Rocketry's Globe I SRB or something, they look the same.

Edit: Not only does Delta II look good but it has the BEST explosion of all fails. Very kerbal :D

Edited by blackheart612

Wow, thank you blackheart for THAT example! :) I think it's enough if i pull up the inner side of the nozzle than it should look like in RL or like in your example. :)

Explosions: Yes, I saw a vid of that explosion, that was great! :D If rocket explosions would look like that in ksp..:cool:

Btw blackheart, your model is very cool, better than mine I think! (Okay, I'm really new in modelling/ mod creating, anyway..)

Thank you wasmic, everytime nice to hear some nice feedback! :)

Edited by Kartoffelkuchen
grammar mistakes *facepalm*

Wow, thank you blackheart for THAT example! :) I think it's enough if i pull up the inner side of the nozzle than it should look like in RL or like in your example. :)

Explosions: Yes, I saw a vid of that explosion, that was great! :D If rocket explosions would look like that in ksp..:cool:

Btw blackheart, your model is very cool, better than mine I think! (Okay, I'm really new in modelling/ mod creating, anyway..)

Thank you wasmic, everytime nice to hear some nice feedback! :)

Well, I recently started modelling too. So maybe I could help, potatocake :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.